Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna
Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $89 (street)
Description: Dual band (146 - 446 mhz) base station antenna. Fiberglass construction. Max power 200w. Length 5'11". Weight 2lbs 12 oz. SO-239 connector.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna.

KD0LAC Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2010 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Zero Complaints  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the antenna I purchased immediately after earing my tech license about 8 months ago. I have it mounted on the roof of my 2 story house. I purchased the typical length of galvanized conduit pipe (6 foot or so), planted one end into my no longer used Direct TV dish mount, mounted the antenna on the other. I have 50 ft of Cable X-Perts 1318FX coax running into my shack from there The top of the antenna is probably 35 feet off the ground and has line of sight to most of the repeaters here in the front range. Reception is excellent. Xmit is excellent for both repeater and simplex use. This is one of those antennas where if you can hear them, you can work them. I can hit every repeater from Cheyenne Wyoming to Pueblo Colorado from Denver on this antenna. I have contacted ISS on it. I don't think it's possible to expect, or get much more. Mine is connected to a yaesu FT-7900, which I also highly appreciate for all VHF/UHF in my area.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2010 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Long term durability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have just taken mine down, I suspect it has been up as long as 8-10 years possibly. Well, more than 5-6. My weatherproofing consisted of sealant around the bolt head that joins the base to the antenna, and at the top of the coax connector, using that coaxseal putty stuff. This proved sufficient and is recommended. The white paint on the 'glass part is just a little weathered, with a thumbnail bare patch near the top cap. The base and stainless hardware held up really well. The metal ring that holds the radials and the top cap are plated metal, and the plating is pretty freckled and some white oxide residue, a cosmetic issue only. One radial was slightly loose, the nut must have worked loose from vibration or temp changes? The seals between 'glass and metal are still perfect. I had to clean out crud, dirt, spider nests from inside the base, even at that height it was mounted at. Just a yucky cosmetic issue. I suppose you could block the gap around where the coax goes in the base. Survived many years in the weather and could have kept going but the coax gave up, not the antenna, from damage. I would buy another Comet antenna with confidence. Will outlast all metal antennas without maintenance, probably. Mine is going to a new ham and I am sure another 10 years it will work or until the coax goes bad and has to come down.

KE4FHH Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2010 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna due to it's small size and the good reviews that it got here. I am amazed at the performance of this little wonder. I get excellent signal reports on both bands and the antenna is only at 20 feet. The build quality is top-notch. Mine is centered at ~146 and ~440, so the SWR stays low across the entire 2M and 440 bands. I would definitely get another one of these well made antennas.

AB4BC Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Compact yet very efficient  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had read for the most part nothing but positive reviews of this antenna and being in somewhat close proximity to my neighbors, I wanted a low profile antenna with reasonable gain enough to hit repeaters in the immediate surrounding counties. To my surprise, even though I do have some elevation at my location and with only a 30' above ground installation at the mount, I have been able to hit repeaters over the entire western half of NC, down into SC and north into VA with no problem at all on 50 watts. Be aware that the rating on the antenna is specified at 200 watts PEP. Tech support just a week ago informed me that 100 watts maximum should NOT be exceeded for FM operation. I believe some of the other reviews mention this as well although the wattage told to me is different than what you may find below in another review. Mine came very well made with no manufacturing imperfections visible, SWR is 1:1 from 144-145.600 MHz and slowly rises to 1.7:1 at 148.000 Mhz. 70 cm, the SWR is 2.0:1 from 430-433.000 MHz and fluctuates throughout the rest of the band between 1:1 and 1.6:1. Mine is resonant on 145.600 and 445.000 MHz. Many factors affect this measurement so that's just my results. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a low-profile antenna that will get the job done.

KE5MZP Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2009 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Been good to me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was blessed with this antenna from WU5E. Thanks, Jim. It has performed great! At first it was at 16 feet. My friends noticed a difference immediately. When it was raised to 32 feet, I could hit a few more repeaters and had stronger signals on both, RX/TX. On 2 meters and 440, I never saw an SWR over 1.4:1. The Isopole I have can't compare.

N2XPM Rating: 0/5 Nov 11, 2009 06:19 Send this review to a friend
3 Years of Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
As of the past week, the Antenna has failed. I had been experiencing a lot of problems with my repeater where the output power would diminish and it was noticable. When the antenna was cold, the condition (Light operating) was not noticeable when using 30watts. When I applied 150watts continuously for a few minutes, the reflected power was 75watts with a VSWR of 5:1. I thought that by purchasing a single Fiberglass pole over multiple poles would alleviate my fear of Antenna failure. For me it has been 2 strikes, the Diamond that this antenna replaced and now this Antenna. Perhaps, 3 times will be a charm!

K7ETC Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Almost foolproof!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to assemble, easy to raise, SWR on 146.520 and 440.400 so low I thought the meter was not in line. Small enough my neighbors don't think it is a CB antenna. Stood up well to the worst Oregon winter in memory. Range increased about 25 miles at fifteen feet off the ground. I wish I had bought one sooner.

N4JRR Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2009 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Meets or exceeds manufacturer's claims.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had an Arrow 146/440 GP for a while and never could get the swr below 2:1 so I gave the Comet GP 3 a try. The English instructions had a heavy Japanese accent but the antenna was very easy to assemble. The quality is very good and everything fit nicely. The base end of the antenna with the coax connector fits in an aluminum sleeve mount, which shields the connector from wx. There was a slight amount of play in the fit of the base into the sleeve, but a piece of duct tape about a third of the way around made a very snug fit. SWR was a completely flat 1:1 at 146 mHz and max 1.4 at band edges on 2M, and similar results on uhf. Performance for me is excellent and my initial response is completely satisfied.

AC8AZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2009 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Great for the Price!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Low swr both bands! I live within 50 miles of many repeaters and this antenna hits them all full quieting on low power. You will have money to spend on other equipment after buying this one!

K6KDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 08:21 Send this review to a friend
A great dual band antenna, I Will never sell it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After seeing neighbors lose TV antenna's due to the frequent high winds at my QTH, (60+ mph winds are common near the Cajon pass, Ca) I tried a copper J-pole, but didn't like the match, I researched and read the other reviews here on eHam.net and decided on the comet GP-3.

I can only echo the other reports that the assembly is quick and easy.

The results were better than I expected, I can get into repeaters as far away as Las vegas (200 miles) of course it helps that I live in the high desert (elev. 4500) and on a clear day I can see mountain tops approx. 60-80 miles away across the desert to the north and east.
When I first installed the GP-3 on a 30 ft pushup at the side of my house, using RG-8X a Icom IC-8000, I thought the SWR meter was broken, the match was so flat, but I always check the SWR at the high, middle and low end of what ever band I'm setting up for, and there was just enough deflection of the reflected pointer to indicate a 1.2:1 at 147.990, at 146.100, the pointer didn't even move, at 144.100 it moved just enough to know it was working.

I just bought a Yaesu FT-897 and now have 440 to play around with, the internal SWR meter of this radio indicates about the same results on 430-440 Mhz. I guess the next step is to try the GP-15 to access the 6m band, but I really don't want to take down the GP-3.

Final remark, If you have space or weather restrictions, I highly recommend this antenna