Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hammarlund HQ-140-X Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund HQ-140-X
Hammarlund HQ-140-X Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $264.00
Description: General Coverage Receiver

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund HQ-140-X.

K7WXK Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2012 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Handsom, sensitive, stable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I now have 3 of the four classic single conversion HQ's, and this may be the best overall. It is handsome to look at, reasonably sensitive at the higher freqs, and quite stable on CW and SSB. The basic difference between it and the HQ-150 is the lack of a Q-multiplier and xtal calibrator. But it is definitely more stable than its more expensive cousin. Don't get me wrong; if I had to chose one to keep, I don't know which it would be, for they all are gems. Here again, the HQ-140-X is a great receiver at a fair price. If you find one in decent shape grab it and have fun.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2010 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Big Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an absolutely mint specimen that has the crystal calibrator - and use it for BCB DX-ing and SWL-ing. My antenna is a broad banded home brewed K9AY, and theis receiver is plenty sensitive, and the tube audio is the best. It is also very stable - no drift even while warming up.

A real classic.

KZ4B Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2010 22:15 Send this review to a friend
kz4b@hotmail.com  Time owned: more than 12 months
Contrary to some of the reviews below--I have found the HQ-140-X to perform unbelievably well on SSB & CW for a receiver with a diode type detector (as opposed to a product detector). It has hi-fi SSB reception! BFO injection must be unusually strong as it is one of the best sounding SSB & CW receivers I have ever owned or used in my 50 plus years of hamming! As reported below--the received audio (for both SSB & AM)is excellent when using the large matching factory outboard speaker.

Tuning is unusually accurate, smooth and stable after a 30 minute or so warm-up. It still could use a crystal calibrator. To avoid irreversible modifications--I use an old compact outboard (9 volt "transistor radio" type battery operated) 100 kc transistorized crystal calibrator by Heathkit that I scrounged at a Hamfest.

The HQ-140-X looks like an antique with it's round S-meter, large brown knobs, factory "rack" cabinet, etc. But it works on par with (or sometimes even better than) many new solid state (and even software defined microprocessor-based) receivers at least on broadcast up through 40 meters. You may have guessed that it is my favorite single conversion tube-type general coverage SW receiver (of which I have owned many--both commercial and military). I sure could have used it (with it's excellent crystal filter and other features)when I was a Novice instead of my drifty Hallicrafters S-53-A!

W3AMF Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2008 14:17 Send this review to a friend
51 Years and Still Going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my HQ-140X new in 1957, as a student with "surplus cash" from a summer job. I mated it with a Harvey-Wells TBS-50D/VFO. While I have modern equipment, I still use the vintage station occasionally. I use the HQ-140X fairly often as a SW receiver. It works well for AM and CW and does tune SSB OK, but I have to "juggle" the pitch and sensitivity controls. I added a SO-239 and xtal calibrator/switch but made no other modifications. It has required very little maintenance. I recently dug my RME DB-23 preselector out of a closet and interfaced it with the HQ-140X. It now is a "very hot" receiver with adequate selectivity for today's bands and a noise limiter that actually works without distorting the signals. I believe I got my money's worth!

W4PTO Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2005 18:27 Send this review to a friend
A great classic unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used to own a Hammarlund HQ-150. Nice looking rig but it had drift issues. Annoying to use when you're doing CW. Going from STBY to OP was an iffy proposition. No so with the HQ-140X. This doesn't have that problem at all (which is funny because the HQ-150 is supposed to be an improvement over the 140).

I got this beauty at a fairly reasonable (cheap?) price along with the matching speaker. After cleaning off the rx from cigar smoke and putting a soft start device and squirting the controls with the Dexoit, the HQ-140X played well.

I did use a plain wire antenna for operation. With an external verticle or outside wire antenna, I suspect the sensitivity will be much better. But as is, I was able to tune in SSB and CW signals very well. On SSB, with strong signals, you would have to "ride" the RF gain to get proper reception. I teamed the HQ-140 up with an old Bud FCC-90 crystal calibrator. After zeroing the frequency, the kcs tracks the ham bands quite well.

I envision using this unit in a classic BA position alongside a restored Viking 2. The two just seem to go togther quite well. Looking forward to seeing you on 40 meter CW with this set up!

KC0SHU Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2005 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Top-notch Boatanchor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a Hammarlund HQ-140XA, which, as stated by another reviewer, is the same as the 140 with one of two newer types of S-meter. In short, this is a great receiver. Though from the days prior to built-in SSB product dectectors, is tunes SSB just fine and SSB is perfectly workable just by detuning the bandspread a little. The unit is pretty stable after a 20 minute warm up, and only requires slight tuning adjustments. Selectivity is limited to different crystal positions with attendent phasing control, but when used correctly works pretty well and is in fact a lot of fun as it's an aquired skill. Though I have used my 140 for CW, SSB and AM, I generally use it on a daily basis for AM, due to the surprisingly good audio quality. I also have a Hammarlund HQ-180, which has far better selectivity and hotter sensitivity, but the 140 has much better audio quality due to its open bandwidth and extremely well-designed audio stage. It's typical Hammarlund--straightforwarward, very well designed circuitry combined with top-notch craftsmanship and parts. At 50 years old and with essentially trouble-free daily operation, it's no wonder Hammarlund earned the reputaion it did. If you get a chance to pick one up that's in good shape, don't hesitate to do it. They're worth considerably more than they cost. When your ricebox is in the trash can your 1950's Hammarlund will still be singing like a Nightingale!

N4KH Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2003 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Good basic reciever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of these for years, great for shortwave listening, AM broadcast band DXing, and AM amateur radio listening. Super reliable, the only thing I had to do was replace a rectifer tube in 20 years of operation. Not good at all for SSB/CW though. A big, heavy boatanchor, nice to look at.