Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-20A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-20A
Astron RS-20A Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99.99
Description: 20A 13.8 volts power supply
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-20A.

KD6NXI Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2017 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Blows fuses  Time owned: more than 12 months
The fuse is undersized and repeatedly blows. Put in one amp higher and no problems after several years.

N8FVJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2014 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Well Built  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rated 20amps ICAS, it does perform. Some say the 20 series power supplies is a 16 amp power supply and for CSS duty they are correct. However, the ICOM IC-15 power supply is rated at 20 amps ICAS like the Astron and is not any better built with more heavy duty parts. Plus, no over-voltage protection in the ICOM PS-15.

KJ4WS Rating: 2/5 Mar 11, 2014 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Not Good !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Astron RS-35M has been a Work Horse since the early 1980's ... The RS-35M which we own Is Not For Sale! I was recently Given this RS-20A. Sixteen Amps Continuous is a Big Fat Lie in my case. We used 2 Halogen Fog Lamps at 9.18 Total Amps as a Test Load. Within 5 minutes, the Heat Sinks were Too Hot to touch. I will Not be using it to power my 100 Watt HF Rig. The price was right though... Free ... At 16 Amps as rated, we would have come back to a Smoked Up metal box. We are now going to the Repeater Builder Site to see if, anything can be done to help this Poor Little and Over-Rated PSU. It is now a challenge to see if, it can be made to work as advertised. This RS-20A is less than a year old.

KK4AH Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Supply  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Why Astron doesn't call this a RS-16A I don't know but it does what the specs say. It is continuous at 16 amps and 20a ICS, for those who want 20 amps continuous buy a bigger supply! I have always had terrific service from Astron and this power supply is no different. I have a VS35M power supply and have had no problems with it for over 30 years! For me Astron is one of the best there is period! If you like the newer switching supplies that's ok but for me I'll stay with the linear ones.

N3GGT Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one from the well known web auction site, seller represented it as perfect working condition. A 20 amp power supply should power a 50 watt radio with no problem. I used it to power an Icom IC-745 running 50 watts in CW. The power supply was barely keeping up. I couldn't resist running 100 watts and the power supply quit. Careful investigation revealed one of the diodes in the bridge rectifier was shorted. After replacing it, and the LM723 regulator IC ( for good measure ) no problems whatsoever. I know I'm taxing it to the limit running 100 watts CW but it works flawlessly. I have been using it daily for about 7 years now, the only time its turned off is during power outages ( I get a lot of them where I live ). Easy to troubleshoot. I was going to put a voltmeter in it but since its on the floor and out of sight, I figured why bother. A well built supply !

KJ6MSG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a rock.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used the Astron RS-20A to power both a FT-7900R and a FT-450D. I have not turned up the FT-450D to full 100W, but otherwise it is a solid power supply.

W1EL Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent linear supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it for years! Rock solid when used within the specifications. In spite of the model number, this is about a 17 amp supply. Most 100 watt radios need a 22 amp (or so) supply. Need to keep the Astron on the floor, away from the RF, and it stays happy.

K4FX Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2011 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
This one is junk just like all the rest of the Astrons.

It is not stout enough to run a 100w radio. A 25w rig is about the top of it's limit.

See this web page for useful information on fixing your Astron and removing some of the problems built into them at the factory.

WD5NOT Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 20:27 Send this review to a friend
My first Astron  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this power supply dirt cheap and it has fufilled my expectations only as a linear power supply will do. Most but not all switching power supply have some sort of RF hash. It is quiet hopefully I will have it for a long time. I highly recommend the RS-20A. I will revisit this review in a few months for an update.

RADIO_RANDY Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2010 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Possibly the Best power supply in the world!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this model of supply since I was first licensed in 1981. I've used a number of Astron units, RS-35s, 12s, 7s, and even an RS-50M. Every one of them has been 99.8% reliable in my opinion.

The reason I only gave a 99.8% reliability number is due to the very infrequent habit an Astron has of killing its output after a brief power surge. This problem is easily corrected by powering down the supply for 60 seconds, then turning it back on.

Here are a couple hints when using these supplies. First, don't EVER replace the output transistors with 2N3055s. They will NOT work correctly and your regulation will suffer severely because of it. The circuit is simply not designed to drive these transistors. Second, NEVER replace a blown fuse with a much larger one. I repaired a supply that had blown the fuse following a thunderstorm. The owner replaced the 5 amp fuse with a 20 amp item. In doing so, he fried the crowbar circuit which was trying to protect his radio when the pass transistors shorted. Instead of spending $10 on parts, he spent $30 all because he didn't have a 75 cent fuse.

Finally, the Astron is the easiest power supply I have ever had to repair. You can keep your Pyramids and such. Hopefully yours won't catch fire as did one belonging to a fellow ham I knew. After that, she bought an Astron.