Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-20A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-20A
Astron RS-20A Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99.99
Description: 20A 13.8 volts power supply
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-20A.

K4FX Rating: 2/5 Apr 11, 2009 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Just OK at best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well this one died on me just before the WPX SSB contest last month. I had already rebuilt my 35M Astron and have been delighted with the performance of that unit. So I had planned on changing the 20A's pass transistors eventually. I ordered a pair from Mouser and popped them in, turned it on and the 2 meter rig it runs would not come on, hmm, checking the output I saw only 2.5 volts, the LM-723 regulator! I remembered that I had purchased a regulator for the 35M that I had not used, so after diggin in the junk box I located it and the old 20A was purring again with her new LM723 and pair of 2N5302 pass transistors (50 watts more dissipation each than the stock 3771's).

Like a lot of hams I had used Astrons for years with no issues and "thought" they were bullet-proof, WRONG! When I got into RTTY and contesting, that all changed. Everyone should bookmark this page http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-index.html I assure you that when the problems hit your Astron, you will find all the info you need to rebuild your power supply in short order!

K4FX

WB7TXG Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2009 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Still Works FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this new back in 1981 or so.. I think. It has been turned on pretty much non stop for almost 30 years. I have never had an issue with this power supply and it just keeps ticking adn ticking.

I did finally buy a powper supply break out strip with multiple points of connection and also has a meter and a red LED light so that I can see that the power supply is working.

I have ran sever HF rigs that needed 12vdc with no issues. Last rig ran on it was an Icom 706 and the rig ran fine, full power and no drop in supplied power to all the other 12vdc acessories I have in the shack.

Would I buy it again? Yes, without question. I figure over 30 + years is proof enough.

AB4ZT Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 10:58 Send this review to a friend
A Real Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nearly 20 years of service and never a single problem. A very solid piece of equipment.

K8DK Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2008 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased 35M in 1981 and it has been on almost continuous. Great power suppply.

WB2FTX Rating: 3/5 May 18, 2008 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Not very impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am going to go against most of the reviews for this power supply... I have had it three months (purchased new from HRO) in continous operation powering my Kenwood TS-450S which is running 24/7 as a Pactor MBO... It ran fine until last week when I came into the shack and found both the radio and the power supply off. First thing I did was to check the fuse... Where is it? Had to open it up to find it.. Fuse blown. Put in another fuse, blew again.. Disconnected the transformer secondaries from the bridge rectifier. Fuse held.... Diodes in the two bridges shorted out..They are using 2 25 amp bridges wired in parallel with no equalization between them... Unless they are evenly matched one is going to handle most of the load while the other one just loafs along..Found that this is a very common failure mode in Astron power supplies and could be easily cured with a component rated for this service rather than putting two together.. I have ordered a grossly overrated 1000 v PIV bridge rated at 50 amp to replace these and hope that is the end of the problem... No warning of failure and only after 3 months of service... The only reason I will keep it is that it is probably better than most of the power power supplies available and that switching supplies introduced a lot of RF hash all across the HF spectrum

W4RIG Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2007 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service for over 9 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Astron RS-20A has been a reliable source of 13.5 V DC power for over 9 years in intermittant (not constant) service. I would recommend this power supply for any base operation for mobile rigs of various types. It is a heavyweight item and probably not highly desirable for back packing or portable use unless you don't have far to lug your equipment and have a reliable source of 110 V AC power.

KE7DZS Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2007 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Will it ever die?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been on since 1985 and It works as expected. It is well made and dependable. You can't go wrong with the Astron RS-20A.

PU2TYB Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2007 16:24 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this power supply since 1996 and besides the front led not working which I don't care it still works great.

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2007 18:29 Send this review to a friend
I Forget Its There.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess that my forgetfullness stems from the fact that I have had it for 10 years, and it has never caused me any problems. I am currently using it to power one automatic tuner, two automatic coax switches, an SWR/Power meter, two scanners, an Icom CT-17 and an Icom IC-28A. Recently the Icom switching power supply for my venerable IC-735 developed a terminal regulation failure. My 735 is now running proudly again thanks to a shiny new Astron RS-35M.

If I ever need another power supply, you can bet it will be an Astron.

W5AOX Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2007 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Good, with problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Astron has been in service for around 15 years. I have learned to use Astrons if I want really regulated DC available with no hum, voltage sag, etc, at the rated output.
If left on continuously, and occasionally being called upon to produce close to the 20 amp rating, my RS-20A develops black corrosion around the lock washers and screws attaching the big filter capacitor to the main board. Over the years I've had to disassemble mine several times to replace and/or tighten these screws and washers. It's easy to tell when this happens: Your transmitter will develop a pronounced hum when it normally has none.
I've had to replace the 723 regulator only once in all these years, unlike some of the smaller and earlier Astron supplies.