Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola HT-1250 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola HT-1250
Motorola HT-1250 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $800
Description: HT1250 is a high luxury and professional radio.

You can write your own review of the Motorola HT-1250.

W5DTW Rating: 1/5 Jul 30, 2016 10:10 Send this review to a friend
OK until they die  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Waris series of Motorola hand held radios are the least dependable of any Motorola HT. I have been maintaining them in a corporate environment since they were introduced, as stated before even when working the audio is poor, the local MOTO shop has made good money shipping this series radio back to the depot for repair.
The issues run from sudden loss of TX power to going completely dead as in will not power on at all. I have a whole box of these useless radios in my shack.
WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2016 21:12 Send this review to a friend
220 ham conversion simply the best 220 hnadheld I have   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 GE converted Mp-A 220 MHz HT's with hamflashed fronts, various yaesu and kenwood 220 radios but my 170 dollar Motorola HT1250LS+ which I converted to the 220 ham band is still my favorite daily use HT.

The conversion was as simple as a new 220 s-record and now with 255 channels and 5 watts across 222 to 225 MHz this handheld and it's numerous feature set is simply amazing.

My conversion did not require any If filter mods either and it still performs excellent with no IF bandpass clipping issues on any of the 220Mhz repeaters at either my Arizona QTH or my Oregon QTH along with also having numerous California and Washington state 220 repeaters.

I'll admit that having 255 channels is overkill for 220 Mhz but still it's nice to have more than needed and I have managed to fill 4 banks of 16 220 Channels per bank between AZ, Cal, Wash, and Oregon

The voice recorder feature is simply the best feature that I have ever used in a HT.

I use the voice recorder in my 220 MHz model along with my 220MHz to 10 meter FM remote base system to record and chart 10 meter openings while away from the radio.

The time stamp feature of the voice recorder lets me chart when the 10 meter dx openings occur.

Simply the best 220 ham radio I have ever used.
W6PMR Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2015 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Very nice HT !  Time owned: more than 12 months
The price has come way down on these and the net
is filled with adds and auctions listing these for
under $200 with new batteries, drop in charger and
I own three of these and can program them myself
and I find them much more "robust" than HT's built
for the Ham service. Great audio, cool features,
and lots of third party support.
I also own a Chinese dual band HT and every time
I turn it on I love the Motorola's that much more.
Chinese radios are cheap and "Moto's" are
KD0DUJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2015 22:59 Send this review to a friend
another workhorse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first HT1250 LS+ for ham radio I'm going to experiment with ham simplex trunked on LTR. This radio I recommend
KC2OBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2011 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it 5/5. I have an R split version (403-470) Perfect for the ham band! Defiantly a true work horse and one of Motorola's best radios ever made. Use mine for Redcross(My chapter has a few uhf repeaters) and Ham and for monitoring the local fire freqs. The programming software can be a little tricky to get used to. These radios do tend to use up the battery pretty quick thats why I have 3 two standard capacity and one high cap..high cap battery does last for a while... some of the cool features is the battery level display and the built on clock.

If you want one that's more then 16 channels then stay away from the HT1250LS or LS+ models. The just plain HT1250's will do 128 channels.
N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 04:50 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the UHF (S) version. 403-470mhz. It is a bit confusing to use at first, moving between zones and setting different parms. But once you get the hang of it, no sweat. I have the software also and I will agree the software is VERY confusing to use at first. Stay away from the (D) version as it will not program into the ham bands. All in all it is a nice radio. i use it as my work truck radio with the mobile cradle. I am on the outlook for a VHF model now.
WH6TD Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 00:41 Send this review to a friend
I need a manual for this radio...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does anyone have a manual for this radio or some basic tips on how to do some things with it?
KC2OBW Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2008 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I think this radio is great for the price I paid for mine FREE!! yeah I traded my old GE KPC for one of these bad boys. The radio is excellent. I have a VHF version which covers 136-174, which makes it great for the ham bands, currently I have mine programmed for the local 2 meter machines and some local PD and EMS stuff, and as soon as I get into the resuce squad I applied to I then will program thier stuff in there. It is a great radio, the software on the other hand can be a bit confusing at first but once you get to know it, its not really that bad.
NH7CY Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2006 19:14 Send this review to a friend
love this radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
if you're looking for a great radio that'll go anywhere you do then this is the radio for you.

i currently own 3 of these radios, and at one point owned 6, 2 ht1250 LS+ and 1 ht1250 conventional, all in the UHF band. i can honestly say, that they may not be a jedi radio, nor an xts, but anything short of that and this radio is perfect.

with 128 available channels, an 14 character alpha numeric display, a full keypad on some models, mdc encode and decode, RSSI meter, battery strength meter, voice recorder, and more feature than i can shake a stick at, i'd reccomend this radio to anybody.

over the years ive taken these radios everywhere. i have dropped them in the snow, dragged them through mud, soaked them out in the rain, waded with them through rivers, got them covered in sand, and dropped them out windows. you name it, these radios have seen it.

one of the greatest things about this radio is the display. out of the many motorola radios i have owned, this display is the most user friendly. unlike displays on other popular motorola radios such as the mts 2000, mt 2000, jt 1000, xts 3000, etc, this display not only shows you the name of the channel you're on (in upper and lower case letters unlike all of the JEDI models that only let you use upper case letters), but it will also show you the time, incoming signal strength, your power level, and the amount of power remaining on your battery.

the features on this radios display make it a great candidate for search and rescue. you'll know when to replace your battery without running the risk of a dead battery leaving you stuck out in the field without a radio. you can tell the time so you know when to report back to headquarters, and you can also read the signal strength of incoming transmissions so you'll know whether or not to switch to a different channel or a repeater.

another great feature of this radio is its ability to automatically switch its power output according to the strength of incoming signals. that way you'll be able to conserve your battery and use your unit over a longer period of time.

these radios also come equipped with MDC 1200 signalling (not available in conventional modes on LS, and LS+ models). another plus when used among many other radios with mdc capabilities. the ht1250 comes with equipped with mdc decode, allowing you to view the unit IDs of any radio on the channel you are using, assuming they are all using MDC.

the only con i would post about this radio is that for some, the programming software may be hard to come by, is a little complicated to use, and you are required to buy a cable to program the radio with.

also, when buying an ht1250, be careful not to buy an LS, or LS+ model unless you are planning on utilizing its LTR capabilities. the ht1250 LS, and LS+ models can only do 16, 18, or 32 conventional modes, and will not do mdc signalling, though there are some rare ht1250 LS radios that can do up to 128 conventional modes with full signalling capabilites but i would recomend sticking with the regular ht1250. also, be sure to get a radio with a firmware revision greater than 2.00.00 as the original firmware of 2.00.00 and lower is riddled with problems which make many of the radios features unuseable.

besides that, the ht1250 is a great radio and i would reccomend it to anyone who is looking for a great, user friendly radio that they can take anywhere.
KB4TPP Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2005 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Good choice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned both VHF and UHF versions and these are decent portables though they aren't the same caliber of radio as a Jedi (MTS2000/HT1000). The UHF radio developed a fault with the volunme pot and was replaced at the depot 3 months into service (fairly common issue with the Waris radios).

Overall performance is what you'd expect from Motorola. Loud RX audio, the transmit audio isn't as clear and natural as the HT1000 or MTS2000 though. Sounds a little muddy even with pre-emphasis enabled in CPS. The radio is full featured and supports every kind of signalling known to man: MDC,DTMF, and Quick call. Very easy to read display from any angle.

This is a good radio indeed and while it is expensive (used they run anywhere from 350-500 dollars) it is a worthwhile choice if you want a commercial HT for both work and play.

The downside is the software is pricey, hard to get (Motorola doesn't like to license it out to end users especially if there are many dealers in your area). In that respect, an Icom F30/F40 is a better choice (cheaper overall and Icom doesn't play games selling software either).