Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola HT-1250 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola HT-1250
Motorola HT-1250 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $800
Description: HT1250 is a high luxury and professional radio.

You can write your own review of the Motorola HT-1250.

KI4DQK Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2004 15:51 Send this review to a friend
HT 1250 Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a nice radio but I am unable to locate the programming software. Does anyone know where I can find it?

KF4PXZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2004 10:55 Send this review to a friend
It's no MT-2000 but it will do  Time owned: more than 12 months
My MT-2000 died, and I did not want to sink another $1k+ into another one, so I bought the HT-1250. This radio is full of features and options, some I like real well, some I don't see any need for but they're cool anyway.

Good, clean audio, tx out is good, rx was good out of the box but better when I got a longer antenna off of a MT-1000. The stubby VHF antenna that it comes with is less than adequate, get a longer antenna.

Battery life is okay, with an average life of 12-14 hrs while scanning with the stock battery. I just bought a new high cap battery and it has been running now for about 18 hrs and the battery meter (another nice feature) shows full charge.

Here are a list of the features I like:

dual priority scan, user programmable - You have to create scan lists in the RSS and then assign a scan list to each channel. The RSS wil default to no scan list on each channel, so you will have to tell the RSS which scan list you want each channel to be a part of. Kind of confusing until you figure out exactly what you want.

QCII decode & encode - nice feature if you want to set off someone's QCII pager. The CAP code has to be set up with the RSS in advance, and tagged to a specific channel.

MDC1200 ID - displays the decoded number on received MDC1200. It does sometimes false and chop up the audio. I ended up turning this feature off because it was too much information.

Easily upgraded - My HT-1250 was the limited keypad model, but I wanted the full keypad. The limited keypad and the full keypad are electrically identical, all you have to do is go on Ebay and buy a full keypad recase kit, recase the radio, then go into the RSS and "turn on" the DTMF. The DTMF sidetone is much louder than it needs to be on keypress.

Programmable buttons - The radio has seven programmable function buttons.

Okay, now for the bad news:

Programming can be difficult. If you don't have access to the software, rib and cable, better take it to someone who knows these radios well. At $45/hr bench charge, trial & error can get expensive fast.

Priority scan. I don't know if this is just my radio or something with all of them. When I am using priority scan and the radio stops on a busy channel it will false activate and go to the priority 1 channel even though there is no activity on priority channel. I have the beep turn on, so it really chops up the audio. Doesn't do it all the time, and it doesn't do it as bad when I have priority 2 disabled.

Zones - Channels are assigned to zones of 16 ch. each. You get to them through the menu. It takes at least four steps which is a little inconvienent.

All in all it's a good radio. Better get them while you can. It won't be very long until new, commercial 25 kHz radios are no longer available thanks to refarming.

PAUL_KQ6EH Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2004 03:16 Send this review to a friend
A Real HT !  Time owned: more than 12 months
PROS: Works great in highly populated local RF environments. Does not cook your hand like many of todays smaller HT's during a rag chew. Is much more frequency stable. Has audio which is louder than any other Amateur Radio HT Iíve ever owned. Takes a real beating. The HT and accessories are built to last. CONS: Price, Size, Ease of Programming. Personally, I give this HT a thumbs up.

KB1JRX Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2004 00:53 Send this review to a friend
A keeper  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a UHF and VHF version used. Fortunately I have access to the programming software which makes it more difficult for most to program, but if you have access to this, get this radio. I have several HAM HTís from other manufactures, and this is the only one I use for events. It has great audio and noise rejection. Very durable and easy to use. I use the slim NiMH that gives a great feel to the HT with long battery life. The only down side is the fact it is single band, but if you work mostly one band, then that should not be a problem. If you need a HT that has proven performance and longevity, the 1250 is the right choice.

KC8UTI Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2003 15:35 Send this review to a friend
The HT1250 is not that bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an HT1250 to replace my aging GP300- both UHF radios.

I've found that in comparison, the HT1250 receives about as well as the GP300 (at least well enough that there was little/no difference in reception, side-by-side).

The HT1250 is agreeably more complex than the GP300 in many ways but it doesn't take long to figure it all out and make the radio work for you.

I've found that the RX audio response is better than the GP300, however, in the wrong ways. PL and DPL are more audible on the 1250 than the 300. Of course, in the audio department, the clarity and overall quality is the same.

I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a more rugged radio for their own uses in both the amateur and business/LMR services. The only real inhibitor is the cost...

TAC9CAR6 Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2002 22:41 Send this review to a friend
NICE RADIO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I HAVE OWNED MY HT1250 FOR 1 YEAR NOW AND HAVE GROWN ATTACHED TO IT. IT TOOK SOME GETTING USE TO AT FIRST.
I FIND THE TRANSMIT QUALITY IS SECOND TO NONE, I ALSO LIKE THE I.D OPTION AS WELL, IT IS A LITTLE DIFFICULT TO PROGRAM AND VERY TECHNICAL FOR A BEGINER LIKE ME. THE RECEIVING POWER IS A LITTLE LESS THAN WHAT I WAS EXPECTING BUT STILL MORE THAN ADEQUATE.
OVERALL I ENJOY THIS RADIO AND IT IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF MY EVERYDAY COMMUNICATIONS.I HAVE THE UHF VERSION NOW AND PLAN ON BUYING THE VHF SOMETIME SOON.
I GAVE THIS RADIO A GOOD RATING FOR REASONS STATED AND WOULD RECOMEND IT TO ANYONE INTERESTED.

KC8SVS Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2002 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio! Keeper! Professional and full of luxury!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my HT-1250 (VHF) over the internet. It came refurbished and recased, with entire package. All for 500 bucks. Great deal. Now, onto the technical jargon:

TRANSMISSION: I am using this radio on the Public Safety 150Mhz band and the Amateur 2m bands. I've never had trouble using the radio, on simplex OR repeaters. It's hit every time, almost anywherein the county, and from even in my car. This radio is wide open in the 136-174 split.

RECEIVING: Loud, crisp audio. The squelch works flawlessly and doesn't cut out on me. I use it without the speaker/mic and can easily understand what is being said from the radio, even with the volume all the way up. XPand is good, but not best for use with a radio without XPand.

DISPLAY: The clock is very useful. I am one who is used to not wearing a watch because I always had a pager or cell phone on me. Now I have one on the radio. The signal strength meter is also VERY useful in the amateur band. The 14-character channel tags are also very useful to remember where I am talking to.

BATTERY: Battery (Standard Ni-Cad) lasts a great while. I'm not seeing any immediate flaws with the battery life.

MDC1200: I love this feature. It is a quick identifier if you miss the unit number or callsign.

OVERALL: This radio is a real gem. I will keep it for as long as I can, or until I get something better. I would recommend this radio to anyone who uses radio communications.

73's
KC8SVS

BG4AAF Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2001 09:17 Send this review to a friend
HT1250 is a very luxury and professional radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
HT1250 is a MOTOROLA new type radio, it is smaller then GP300/P110. It has a lattice and icons LCD display, it can display 14 characters, clock, signal meter and others. Itís a plenty LED display. HT1250 has 128 channels; it can carve up many zones. Each channel name can be programmed, we can let it display frequency and organize name, so we easily check the frequency.
Thought HT1250 canít be program without computer (except clone the radio), the 128 channels is enough to use.

HT1250 has Motorola's unique X-Pand?technology, audio clarity is superb ?even in noisy surroundings, it can be select or not. But I found if HT1250 communicates to a radio without X-Pand?technology, it is the better not use X-Pand?function.

Signal meter is very useful function, there is few motorola radios has that function in the past time, but it is very useful for HAM user.

HT1250 can switch two power output levels. It is also a useful function for HAM. The button on the side of the radio can be programmed by CPS software, every button can fit users?custom.
HT1250 has a menu system, users can select many functions by menu.

HT1250 has wide function range, we can find 136-174MHz(VHF) 403-470MHz (UHF)band radio. They includes HAM band. The VHF HT1250 can output 1-5w@7.2V, the UHF HT1250 can output 1-4w@7.2V. HT1250 also have good receive characteristic in HAM band.

Sometime the clock is useful, we can check time easily. HT1250 has a attractive sound, also has a loud audio. It can be heard clearly in the noisy condition. It has some signaling options include MDC-1200. MDC-1200 will pronounce special audio before your talk, it is PTT ID. It makes your calling distinctive and arrestive. Most of the amateurish radio set has not MDC-1200 signaling.

The shortcoming of HT1250 radio for HAM, it must program by computer and CPS software and RIB interface. The price of the HT1250 is very expensive.