Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond CP22E 2M Base Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CP22E 2M Base
Diamond CP22E   2M Base Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $59.00
Description: Aluminum 2 Meter (2)5/8wave stacked verticles, 144-148Mhz, 6.5dB gain, pretuned less then 1.5:1.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/cpseries.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond CP22E 2M Base.

K9GTJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2009 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally took it down after three years of service. (I replaced it with a new Diamond dual band antenna.)

I had zero problems with it even after three Indiana winters and several storms with high winds. I had it up about five feet above the roof line on a two story home and routinely worked repeaters in a 50 to 75 mile radius (paired with an Icom 2200H).

I only replaced it when I needed a dual band antenna to match a new dual band radio.

I plan to put the antenna back in service at a second location in the near future where I expect it to continue to perform.

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2009 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine up almost 5 years and have no problems crop up. So I dont know why some hams down this antenna. Maybe they dont know what they are doing. Some threadlocker and some tape on the joints and the antenna is good to go! Its a good antenna! Decent gain and bandwidth. A couple of years back, when i was installing it on a couple of rat shack mast pipes the mast got away and fell and the antenna broke off at the bottom. I reworked the antenna and replaced the broken section with another piece of aluminum i had and now the antenna is just as good as new. If this antenna ever fails in the future i will get another one, no dought.

KJ4AQV Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2008 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna for any ham ,new or old!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna is the best your $50.00 could buy for 2 meters. Got it in december 2007. Started with it at 30' on a mast with rg-8x for coax at first. Now it is at 45' on a mast and haves rg-213 on it, i can't relly tell much difference maybe a db or two on the meter. But always remember the higher the better when it comes to 2 meter verticals. Only one thing to say about the antenna it is not bad but you should use this as a helping guide. The anteena needs to be inspecterd at least one or two time a year. because some of the scews will work loose on you. My cp22e was missing the bolt that held it to the sleve that was holding it to the mast so when it was windy it was sping on the mast pole. So i put a new bolt on the pole when i inspected it. Also notest that the scews in the antenna where loose a little but no change in the swrs from december 2007 to late july 2008. When i inspected it i decided to rasie it up a little higher and put a bigger coax on it. So i rasied it 15' higher and put larger coax on it when i inspected it.With a name like dimond it haves to be good, as well as smuckers jams and jells. 73 from kj4aqv extra class

DY1UBY Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2007 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Good 144 mHz antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought Diamond CP-22E on post-1998 and until now it still standing (2007). This is my first 144 mHz antenna. I can recommend it as a beginner's 144 mHz vertcal antenna. Buy only original antenna.

WD6GCD Rating: 3/5 Nov 14, 2006 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Best suited to low wind, inland areas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one in 2003 when I was living in the mountain country of western Maine and subsequently moved to the central part of the state, right in the middle of "wind alley" that blows down from Moosehead Lake.

The antenna is rated for 70 mph survivability. It doesn't get anywhere near that in either of the aforementioned areas. The lower section of the antenna that attaches to the base with set screws belled out and cracked from rocking in the wind.

If this attachement point was strengthened to survive the wind, I might say it was a good antenna, especially for the price.

I have replaced it with and Arrow 2m/440 J-pole, which is built like a tank.

N1CJS Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2006 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Lasted a while  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first 2m base antenna. Has been working great for about 4 years. But the age is starting to show. The upright sections are now starting to tip to one side due to the base set screw coming loose. I would have to say it's been well worth the $$. I will not be replacing it with the same model. All in all it's a deal for the $$.

KC9GUZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2005 22:54 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the $$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ive had this antenna up on the top of a 40' mast for a while now and so far so good! With new LMR 400 equiv. coax have a flat swr on 146.405 simplex and a 1.5-1 on 147.990 and a 1.2-1 on 145.505. Good little antenna! Although I was somewhat sceptical of the cheap aluminum holding up. On the screw joints I used threadlocker and electrical tape to keep the antenna from jimmying apart during high winds.
Id reccomend this little gem to anyone that wants a good antenna that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

K9YP Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2005 13:48 Send this review to a friend
very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
A lot of people tell me this antenna is no good, but I have always dismayed people with its performance. I can go a long way simplex. I recently improved things even more by switching from RG8U to 9913. Now I get into distant repeaters full quieting on 10W.

This antenna has seen a lot of ice and wind and it is in great shape after 3 years.

W8FMX Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2005 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Very Good !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This diamond cp-22-e all aluminum design has been in operation for 5 years now with no problem's. SWR still reads excellent and has withstood all weather. Made several 50+ mile simplex fm contacts easily with 50 watts.
I ran a solid copper #6 ground wire from the base of the antenna, down a tripod mount and to a 8ft ground rod. This has been working well for years now with a high quality 9913 flex coax.
I also sealed the coax conector with coax seal even though this design does help keep the connector out of the weather.
It does need to be assembled with care and double checked to make sure that all bolts, nuts are tightened properly before mounting. This one does have a slight lean to the top element but, not a big deal at all.

I would have no problem reccomending this antenna to friends looking for a good 2 meter base station antenna.

AB9JI Rating: 3/5 Sep 5, 2004 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive=Cheap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond CP22E 2m Base antenna is my first base VHF antenna. Building the antenna was a breeze, but as mentioned before, the antenna has some structural flaws. Throughout the entire antenna, it is held together on one side only, at each junction. This, combined with the fact that the base piece on my unit was crooked, makes for a very lopsided antenna. It is hard to be impressed with the appearance of the antenna when it is leaning more and more the higher it goes. Had I known this, I would not have spent any time making sure that the attachment point was plumb. It would have been easy to rotate the antenna in a non-plumb mount and make it ~look~ straight. Also, this one-sided attachment method makes me wonder if the antenna will last very long. It seems very flimsy.

I have yet to test performance in the real world. I just finished it late this evening, and have yet to try it out. The SWR numbers worry me a little. It is VERY broad banded (so is my MFJ-250 dummy load), which makes one wonder about the performance.

122.15 2.0 SWR R=32, X=17
144.07 1.1 SWR R=56, X=0
172.98 1.3 SWR R=68, X=4 As high as the MFJ Analyzer goes

As I sweep through the frequencies, the SWR has high and low points many times throughout. But, it never gets above 2.0 anywhere but below 122.15 Mhz (and somewhere above 172 Mhz I am sure).

I have the antenna mounted with the base 13 ft. above ground, and it is fed with 100 ft. of RG-8X. I will upgrade the coax (and shorten it) sometime in the future, I just had the RG-8X in that length and it was convenient to use.