Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond CP22E 2M Base Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CP22E 2M Base
Diamond CP22E   2M Base Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $59.00
Description: Aluminum 2 Meter (2)5/8wave stacked verticles, 144-148Mhz, 6.5dB gain, pretuned less then 1.5:1.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/cpseries.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond CP22E 2M Base.

WD6GCD Rating: 3/5 Nov 14, 2006 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Best suited to low wind, inland areas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one in 2003 when I was living in the mountain country of western Maine and subsequently moved to the central part of the state, right in the middle of "wind alley" that blows down from Moosehead Lake.

The antenna is rated for 70 mph survivability. It doesn't get anywhere near that in either of the aforementioned areas. The lower section of the antenna that attaches to the base with set screws belled out and cracked from rocking in the wind.

If this attachement point was strengthened to survive the wind, I might say it was a good antenna, especially for the price.

I have replaced it with and Arrow 2m/440 J-pole, which is built like a tank.

N1CJS Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2006 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Lasted a while  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first 2m base antenna. Has been working great for about 4 years. But the age is starting to show. The upright sections are now starting to tip to one side due to the base set screw coming loose. I would have to say it's been well worth the $$. I will not be replacing it with the same model. All in all it's a deal for the $$.

KC9GUZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2005 22:54 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the $$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ive had this antenna up on the top of a 40' mast for a while now and so far so good! With new LMR 400 equiv. coax have a flat swr on 146.405 simplex and a 1.5-1 on 147.990 and a 1.2-1 on 145.505. Good little antenna! Although I was somewhat sceptical of the cheap aluminum holding up. On the screw joints I used threadlocker and electrical tape to keep the antenna from jimmying apart during high winds.
Id reccomend this little gem to anyone that wants a good antenna that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

K9YP Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2005 13:48 Send this review to a friend
very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
A lot of people tell me this antenna is no good, but I have always dismayed people with its performance. I can go a long way simplex. I recently improved things even more by switching from RG8U to 9913. Now I get into distant repeaters full quieting on 10W.

This antenna has seen a lot of ice and wind and it is in great shape after 3 years.

W8FMX Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2005 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Very Good !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This diamond cp-22-e all aluminum design has been in operation for 5 years now with no problem's. SWR still reads excellent and has withstood all weather. Made several 50+ mile simplex fm contacts easily with 50 watts.
I ran a solid copper #6 ground wire from the base of the antenna, down a tripod mount and to a 8ft ground rod. This has been working well for years now with a high quality 9913 flex coax.
I also sealed the coax conector with coax seal even though this design does help keep the connector out of the weather.
It does need to be assembled with care and double checked to make sure that all bolts, nuts are tightened properly before mounting. This one does have a slight lean to the top element but, not a big deal at all.

I would have no problem reccomending this antenna to friends looking for a good 2 meter base station antenna.

AB9JI Rating: 3/5 Sep 5, 2004 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive=Cheap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond CP22E 2m Base antenna is my first base VHF antenna. Building the antenna was a breeze, but as mentioned before, the antenna has some structural flaws. Throughout the entire antenna, it is held together on one side only, at each junction. This, combined with the fact that the base piece on my unit was crooked, makes for a very lopsided antenna. It is hard to be impressed with the appearance of the antenna when it is leaning more and more the higher it goes. Had I known this, I would not have spent any time making sure that the attachment point was plumb. It would have been easy to rotate the antenna in a non-plumb mount and make it ~look~ straight. Also, this one-sided attachment method makes me wonder if the antenna will last very long. It seems very flimsy.

I have yet to test performance in the real world. I just finished it late this evening, and have yet to try it out. The SWR numbers worry me a little. It is VERY broad banded (so is my MFJ-250 dummy load), which makes one wonder about the performance.

122.15 2.0 SWR R=32, X=17
144.07 1.1 SWR R=56, X=0
172.98 1.3 SWR R=68, X=4 As high as the MFJ Analyzer goes

As I sweep through the frequencies, the SWR has high and low points many times throughout. But, it never gets above 2.0 anywhere but below 122.15 Mhz (and somewhere above 172 Mhz I am sure).

I have the antenna mounted with the base 13 ft. above ground, and it is fed with 100 ft. of RG-8X. I will upgrade the coax (and shorten it) sometime in the future, I just had the RG-8X in that length and it was convenient to use.

K4ZZR Rating: 2/5 Aug 26, 2003 00:55 Send this review to a friend
Uh Oh  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Installed the CP22E about ten months ago and thought the connection between the upper and lower element was pretty shaky (actually it wobbled). The antenna worked fine up until a couple days ago when every time I keyed the mic, my Icom IC-V8000 would shut down. Pulled out the antenna analyzer and the SWR was 11:1 at 130Mhz and off the scale above that....uh oh. Grabbed the binoculars and went out to take a look at the antenna. The top section was GONE! I never could find it, haha.

I'm replacing it with the Diamond X50A.

N9FWC Rating: 1/5 Aug 12, 2003 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Not Worth the Time to Install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't know - maybe I'm too picky, but there's no way I'm gonna spend the time to install this puppy. The problem is that the upper 5/8 wave section is fastened to the center phasing coil with two SHEET METAL screws. I just assembled mine, gave the antenna a little shake for about 10 seconds, and the screws loosened. Thinking maybe I hadn't tightened them properly, I re-tightened them and again it failed the shake test. I'm afraid to tighten them any more because I know they'll strip out very easily - as they're just not enough meat there in that thin-wall aluminum tubing for the screws to get a good purchase. I also was not impressed with the sleeve that's supposes to protect the coax connector from the weather - it's a very sloppy fit and would have to be sealed up with RTV or something. This antenna might be good for a portable rig as it's fairly light weight and if it's only up for a day or two, the screws will probably hold. If that's how Diamond had marketed it, I'd have given a higher rating. This antenna goes back to the dealer tomorrow!

DY1NON Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2003 01:41 Send this review to a friend
A very good antenna with a reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my ham license last Feb. 2003, with a small budget I have, friends suggested to get a CP22E (P1,400.00 philippine pesos). Since using this antenna I am receiving good QSA reports even at QRP. If my budget permits me to upgrage to an antenna with a higher dbgain, will stick with CP22E.

73's

jack

AB0RE Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2003 22:43 Send this review to a friend
Okay value, but not perfect...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't owned the CP22E for too long, but feel I've had enough experience with it to establish an opinion on it.

The positives:
1) $50-55! A very reasonable price
2) Quality "Diamond" construction
3) Easy assembly - no instructions needed
4) Reasonable gain for size / price of antenna
5) Lightweight - No Heavy Duty mast needed
6) Enclosed coax connection point - no CoaxSeal needed!

The negatives:
1) Screws at center coil & base of antenna are exposed to weather & wobble loose over time.
2) Thin, hollow, aluminum elements (better not step on them when assembling :-)
3) Antenna pre-tuned for lower part of band - SWR a bit high up towards 148MHz.

The helpful Diamond technical representative assured me that an SWR reading of 1.6:1 at 148MHz was typical of this antenna. The tech at Diamond said the matching coil can be slightly spread to raise the resonant frequency, but it seems like a lot of work just ot lower the SWR a couple points.

I guess I was spoiled by the nice, flat SWR curve of the X50A I had previously. The X50A does not have any exposed connections or parts that could wobble loose with exposure to the wind. If the extra 2dB are not needed, and the extra $50 is not a problem, the X50A may be a better choice IMHO - seems more like an antenna you can put up and never have to worry about again. Although CP22E is a very nice antenna and I'd rather take this antenna over a Ringo, it doesn't stack up to the X50A.

73, Dan / ab0re