Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radio Works Carolina Windom 80 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Carolina Windom 80
Radio Works Carolina Windom 80 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: 10-80 meter hf wire
More info: http://www.radioworks.com/ccw80.html

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Carolina Windom 80.

G4SGX Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2014 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Adequate.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna because it will just fit, with a bend or too in my garden.
It is resonant on all the bands advertised and my K3 internal tuner handles it OK.
The 'filter' at the bottom is supposed to stop any further feeder radiation but it doesn't seem to work 100%. I had an issue where although the SWR at the bottom of 80 was only 1.9 the ATU couldn't tune it and I had RFI problems suddenly.
I suspected my coax was radiating and was 1/4 wave long on 80M so I added a randomn length of coax along with a further common mode filter, (which I think was just a coil of coax with ferrites around it). It now loads ok on all bands.
A good compromise antenna, much better than my old inverted L, but I don't like the unknown factor of the feeder radiation and the lack of a proper description of what they are. Radioworks get all vague & mystical when it comes down to describing what is probably a 4:1 curent balun & common mode filter.
It now also loads up on 160M which it shouldn't, though not complaining obviously! Again evidence of feeder radiation beyond the filter.

W9UM Rating: 1/5 Dec 12, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
poor quality connectors  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the CW80 couple of months ago. On low power it worked fine. With a KW the vertical radiator melted completely out of the PL259 and had scorched the so239. Called Radio Works, told them of the problem and they sent an entire new vertical radiator with connectors at no cost to me including postage. Again, on low power the antenna worked great then my rcvr went silent and found the PL259 had completely parted from the jacket and once again the PL259 melted. This was from the Line Isolator. Called RW, spoke with a woman who wanted me to return the entire antenna. I gave up as I think QC on this antenna needs serious help especially with connectors both PL259s and SO239s. It would not stand a KW of power at any time. I'll stay with a proven G5. My 60' tower and KLM yagi came down in a wind storm much to my dismay and that was after 30 years of being able to point an antenna.

N8WXQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2013 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Carolina Windom on the air for more that 20 years. I used it to earn 5BDXCC. The construction is quite good. I have lost a few over the years by having a tree fall accross the wire. One time the antenna even survived this. The Carolina Windom 80 works extremely well on 80 and 40 meters. One must remember that the antenna is fundamentally a dipole antenna that has multiband capabilities. The radiation pattern becomes progessively more complex with wavelength. You can learn all this from the Radio
Works web page.

If you work RTTY you may need to control power. I have had no problems running 200W during contests.

Again I have used this antenna as my primary antenna to achieve 5BDXCC, WAS, WAC and WAZ. Most of these in Phone, RTTY, anc CW.

N2ZDB Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2012 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent multi-band dipole!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Decided to replace my Carolina Windom 40 for the 80 Meter version so that I could work 80 meters with a stronger signal and wow what a difference!

The vertical radiator went from 10 to 22 feet long with this antenna!

Use it with my Elecraft K3 and its internal auto antenna tuner on all bands and it works as advertised! I even ran out of room somewhat and have the longer end hanging down about 8 feet after moving the insulator in.

Expect it to work for many years like my original 40 did...