Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-399 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DX-399
Radio Shack DX-399 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: Compact, digital full range SW receiver

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-399.

KJ4IOR Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2014 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in the late 1990s, and I've never had a problem with it. It's been to Thailand with me, and several places in the U.S. It's a good little radio to toss in a bag or suitcase. I've listened to all bands with no issues.

OLDSWLSD Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2011 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Good thing in a small package.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine while haunting the thrift stores. You wouldn't believe what I've found in them over the years.
It was less than $5 including the matching RS wall wart. It was in a smoker's house but that doesn't bother me much other than the yellow tinge to the plastic housing.
RS branded Sangean ATS-606. I was quite pleased with the FM and MW sensitivity. After reading the reviews I checked for the IF offset mentioned and mine does not seem to have that problem. Side by side with my DX-440 both on internal/whip it does pretty well for itself but the 440 does a much better job of pulling in the weak ones but considering the original purchase prices adjusted for inflation it's a good little radio. My longwire even with the high pass filter does overload it and I have to turn the gain down on my active whip.
I gave it a 5 for the bang/buck ratio, nice solid feel and that it's so handy. The weak audio is the only real drawback but considering it's size I can't hold that against it.

Good little radio and well worth 10 times what I paid for it.

AE5DY Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2004 01:38 Send this review to a friend
GREAT radio for the price I paid!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the last one that RS had for $30! Unbelievable! It is much better than the DX-396, which I paid $70 for 3 years ago. No SSB, but other than that, a great radio. I can honestly say you cannot get a better radio for this price! Check out your local RS...they might have one of these just laying around...

MARTESQUE Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2002 17:57 Send this review to a friend
High performance for size  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agree with the previous post, 8HHAGGIS must have gotten a bad one. Nice thing about Radio Shack, bring it back and they'll fix it.

I bought mine for $60 at close-out, AFTER I returned a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE. The disappointment I experienced with the Grundig was quickly replaced with the enthusiasm I had for the DX-399 (made by Sangean, btw). Reception is very good and the sound is stronger (considering the much smaller speaker)on both AM & FM. Plus, it had ALL the features found on the Yacht Boy. Great travel and bedside radio. Too bad they're discontinued.

KI4PS Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2002 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Great for Price and Size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The previous comments from 8HHAGGIS makes me believe he got a BAD ONE. I purchashed two at $49.97 close-out at RS. The rating of 5 is because for the price, size, and quality; it's a nice little radio.

My two 399's are nothing like his. I live one half mile from a 50 KW AM station with no problems. The freq. is right on the mark. YES! The radio is small, so it puts out 180 mw of audio, but the audio quality is great on mine (again for it's size).

Being a ham and using my rig with amp (approx. 1 KW) and having the little radio in the same room on AM/FM/SW I experience no problems. I've also have the Sony 2010 and DX-398 and compared the 399 next to them. Again, the audio is lower but the 399 receives every program that the others do.

In closing, if I had paid $130, then I would have looked for something else or put a few extra bucks towards a bigger radio. At $49.97 it's an excellent deal to me.

PS: The only con I see is when I connect my 160 meter antenna to the radio. It does overload the front-end, but then I live very, very close to the 50 KW AM station. With a 20/30 foot piece of wire it's fine.

8HHAGGIS Rating: 1/5 Aug 20, 2002 10:31 Send this review to a friend
mediocre  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
DX-399 is less sensitive than the cheaper analog DX-397. The bandpass filter was asymmetrical and skewed to the upper sideband, so unless one tuned about 1 to 2 kHz high, the sound of AM stations was tinny and slightly distorted. The radio is appallingly sensitive to cross-modulations from local AM stations -- even 1 kw-ers! -- and local ham transmitters. A ham about three blocks from me blew out the entire SW bands every time he keyed on his SSB rig. The digital tuning whine and hiss is irritating. Audio output is low, and the AVC is so poorly designed that carrier variations clip the audio stages during typical fades; very annoying. The DX-397 does not do that. Tuning is OK but when you scan, audio mutes. Ergonomics poor: takes a long time to learn ANY function. Even setting the clocks was fussy and complicated. Furthermore, the display reverts back to time after a few minutes, disabling the tuning buttons until you press more keys. My copy of the radio had an inoperative display backlight. I was SO disappointed with this receiver that I returned it for a cash refund -- useless. My old 1947 7-tube unrebuilt Magnavox console radio could pick up clear reception of SW stations in the 31, 25 and 19 m bands that were just noise in the DX-399. I would rank this receiver as one of the poorest I have ever used in 50 yrs. of SW and BC dx'ing.

SCHUYLHOOK Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2002 13:20 Send this review to a friend
It was a great price...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
$70 on sale at Radio Shack in August 2001. It is able to pick up Radio Albania, Radio Israel, RHC, and Voice of Korea (North Korea, just barely, though). I brought it to Jamaica on vacation in September, and you can imagine I learned immediatey about the terrorist attacks via BBC. I have enthusiastically gotten back into shortwave radio, which I think is an extremely important mode of communication. I would appreciate a more radio-savvy person to review the DX-399. It doesn't have SSB. Next (hopefully this year) I will get a Sony ICF-2010. I owned a DX-100 from 1983 to 1996.

Thank you.