Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TS790 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS790
Kenwood TS790 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1500
Description: VHF/UHF (SHF) all mode tranceiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS790.

N6KYS Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2007 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Neat rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned this radio back in the late 80's when the Microsats were launched and got very interested in AMSAT. It performed very nicely on the satellites, and other hams who owned the rig were quite happy with its performance on 2 meter SSB. Big radio, will take up some square footage on your desk, but well made and vey capable.

KF9Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2006 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Unsurpassed performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is just about the best radio for weak-signal work you will ever find. I have owned a couple including a very respectable Icom IC-970H with all the options. It is a close second to the Kenwood but the TS-790A has a tighter front-end and a stock CW filter not to mention the receiver! It is quiet and the selectivity is amazing. This is a bargain buy in todays used marketplace. I have seen mint units sell on eBay for under $800. There is no all-band all-mode radio made today (include HF/VHF/UHF radios) that can hold a candle to the TS-790A. If you are into SAT work it is very nice. It can be a little tricky at first but once you learn the ways of the radio it becomes second nature. You will not be dissapointed with this radio regardless of what modes you work. I wind up using the radio for FM work 80% of the time and it is great. I only wish I had more time to work CW and the birds (what is left of them).

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2005 18:22 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST VHF/UHF OF THEM ALL  Time owned: more than 12 months
With a gasfet front end this receiver hears everything a mast mount preamp does.The quality of this radio is unsurpassed even in today's market. Joe ke9k

KC9CME Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2005 09:06 Send this review to a friend
GREAT BASE RIG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my unit in a trade deal, Really wasn't looking for another rig,. WELL !!! I was wrong, What a great radio. My only regret, Is that I didnot buy one sooner. I have been looking for the optional UT-10 1.2 ghz Module, And hope to find one at a reasonable price. So if you get a chance to pick one up @ a reasonable price, DO IT. I'm glad I did.
TNX DON W9DMW @ ka9oor@sbcglobal.net, Incase you have a ut-10 for sale !!!!!!!!!

VE2VB Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2005 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Satellite Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me tell you all. I own this radio for the past 10 years and even today after having other radios with similar functions the TS-790A outstand all the others. I mainly use it for Satellite (analogs & digitals), no birdies like it's big brother TS-2000, sensivity is great and enough output for all the available satellites.
Highly recommended. 73 Ben VE2VB

G0YLM Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2005 03:28 Send this review to a friend
What a radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio out performs anything i have used on the VHF/UHF bands! Absolutely wonderful receiver, so selective and sensitive! The quality just speaks for itself..
Only downsides are that in this age some people may find a lot of modern features lacking, no CTCSS and no built in keyer and why did Kenwood not make a 6 metre module available as well as 23 cms???
If you want a truly outstanding base transceiver and don't want all the bells and whistles of the modern rigs then get your hands on one of these. Its a real diamond of a radio!
73 Linda

K9WIT Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 11:59 Send this review to a friend
GOT THE LAST ONE !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the last one AES had on there closeout of this model. I never looked back. This is a superior vhf-uhf radio for the serious contester.

WO4C Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2004 02:40 Send this review to a friend
Love Mine  Time owned: months
Love my 790. Works superbly. Have a YEASU FT-847 sitting beside in. The 847 doesn't hold a candle to it. Also have a FT100 which too doesn't hold a candle to the 790.

Draw backs - no AM (have no use for AM myself) and no VOX. Don't want or really need vox for FM and VHF/UHV/SUHV SSB isn't really used much as a ragchew mode so??? why do you need it. Really hated to see Kenwood discontinue this one.

Thanks for reading. 73
de
Tony - WO4C

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2004 23:57 Send this review to a friend
loved it then, still love it now!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased another 790. It's been 8 years since my last one that I bought new. An IC-820 replaced it. MAN what a mistake that was. Excellent receiver for weak signal work. This radio equals a 970 and 736R a friend has in receive and punch. Clean quiet receiver as this radio spends it's hours on SSB looking for those weak signals. With the SSB "power down" reconnected (they are clipped from the factory for lower SSB output) it produces full rated output using my Icom SM-10. Always quality audio reports and clean received audio. Easy to use features and that classic clean Kenwood look. I also bought the UT-10 1.2ghz band module. Contrary to popular belief they can still be had new. Just look around. Bought mine from West Coast Parts. I can't say much else other than this radio is a joy to operate.

W5GM Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2004 00:50 Send this review to a friend
Like a rock!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this radio for several months now and man am I impressed! I have had the yaesu 736r and 847 and they couldn't touch this thing. I am really happy. Cons would be limited memory channels and direct keying outputs for amps.