Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4125 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4125
MFJ-4125 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $100.
Description: MFJ-4125 13.8 volts 25 amp switching power supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-4125

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4125.

WB0FDJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2012 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Wake the dead....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great supply. No hash that I can find. Small. The fan, advertised as "whisper quiet", can probably be heard in the next county. I put on a carpeted floor, under the desk and I can still hear it with the headphones on. Might do a mod but until then it's a backup. That said it otherwise does what it's supposed to do.

AI7AZ Rating: 3/5 Apr 29, 2012 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Incredibly noisy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a MFJ-4125 for several years, and use it on the bench in the garage for testing gear, as a backup supply for the shack, or for portable use. It puts out clean DC power without any noticeable RF hash, but this supply is definitely NOT worth the "5" rating that some folks have given it. At best, this supply is a "3" rating (which means it's "OK"). The reason for the "3" rating is the truly outrageous amount of noise the fans in this little box put out. I don't object to the noise when it's in the garage or when out in the field, but it will eventually drive you nuts in the shack. MFJ has obviously sold a lot of these and they do perform well as a supply -- just be prepared for the noise!

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2012 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent switching PS.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two of these now. One is the standard 4125 and the other is the 4125P with the power pole jacks. Both are completely rf-noisless, small and lightweight for travelling and as I use a headset I don't hear any fan noise. I have tried other switching power supplies and they were always too noisy for HF use. These are quiet on all the HF bands.

QRPNEW Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2011 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Noisy Fan  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This power supply produces no noticeable RFI, which is great. It is also very energy efficient in standby.

The down side is that the fan is very noisy. It is by far the loudest fan in the shack. The only other fan that is noisier is the linear amplifiers blower.

The fan noise is very noticeable and its even louder than my tower PC which has a heavy duty 1200 watt supply in it.

If you can live with the noise its a great supply.

The only thing that would have made it even better is the ability to trim the voltage a bit higher to allow for voltage drop from things such as protective diodes.

I was pleased with the general wiring and quality of this MFJ product. Certainly a quality product which is made in Taiwan rather than a sweat shop in China with poor quality. The casing holes lined up and seemed to have good quality threads rather than the usual poorly drilled and aligned holes like on other MFJ products.

Anyway thanks MFJ for a well designed decent product that has quality and is well constructed. If anyone knows of a power supply from MFJ that has a silent fan please let me know. I am back to using my linear power supply since i cant stand the fan noise. I will use it as a backup and maybe mount it somewhere that will hide the noise.

K0FTB Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Good but noisy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of the time my xcvr is just on for listening so I installed a minimum modification fan switch to my MFJ-4125 power supply. There is a sunken 110/220 Volt select slide switch on the rear that I certainly do not need and I just happen to have a direct replacement in the junk box with a handle on it. I use it as a fan on-off switch to reduce dust build-up inside. The old switch is wrapped with tape to prevent shorting and is tucked down below in a very convenient space that was just the right size and location. I also added a 100 Ohm resistor in series to the fan that really quiets it down so I now have the best of both worlds. If one does not have the correct slide switch, the wires can removed from the original switch, permanently shorted together, taped and tucked inside. Then the original switch can be used to control the fan but will not be as easy to use as one with a handle. Of course a thermal control is the best option and would not be that much of an extra cost at the factory which I would gladly pay.
73 K0FTB

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Good supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good power supply. Had mine a few years, have used it at Field Days. Opened it up for cleaning a couple of years ago. It just works.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 13:03 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the MFJ-4125P version with PowerPole connectors. I don't find the fan noise objectionable in most circumstances. My supply is permanently installed in my Go-Radio box.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Great little power supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my MFJ-4125 a couple years ago to use at Field Day, when on vacation and when I participate in club volunteer events. It has been a flawless piece of equipment. I have used it to run my K3 at Field Day and on vacation. It has also powered multiple VHF/UHF radios being used simultaneously at bikathon and marathon events without skipping a beat. I can hear the internal fan occasionally, but it doesn't make much noise. Astron power supplies are great too, but this one is so light that it is easy to take along with you. I am very pleased with mine.

K4MLD Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had unit a couple of days but looks good. DC is clean and only.3v drop from no load to 18A. Since I am an old timer, my definition of noise is greater than most. It doesnt bother me at all. Speaker from rig drowns it out.

So thats my 2 cents.

VK6DU Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2010 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great little performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the MFJ-4125 powersupply for over a year now and have not been able to fault it. It's small, it works, it delivers. It runs my TS-570 and IC-209 at the same time, no issues.
I cannot detect any RFI on either rig and have had no issues with fan noise. The fan makes a noise but so do all fans, it does not inhibit my daily HF DX operation. Good value for money and at around 1.5kgs, I will be taking it with me when I travel.

73, Lance