Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Vertex VX180 Help

Reviews Summary for Vertex VX180
Vertex VX180 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: VHF Portable Radio
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Vertex VX180.

KC9LCS Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!! Very Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this radio at work because the issue radios are junk!!! I bought my own radio so I could have it set up the way I like. I have used this radio in the rain, snow, heat, without missing a beat. It takes a beating!!! This radio is "Paramedic Proof" A radio in my line of work must be durable, and be easy to use, the VX-180 is perfect!!!! For the radio techs it is very easy to program.

MZAGOO Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2006 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Solid,well built, geat TX power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for a little while now and the thing is solid as a rock. It has very good Tx power and Rx, has many prgrammable features (see vertexstandard.com, under "fire"), and the two tone page is AWESOME for me.

Downside to this portable is that the dual-watch and follow-me features are not useful for public safety because of the tendency to 'forget' to listen to a channel, or it just misses them.

This is a great portable that is inexpensive and will still handle a lot of abuse- my fire department just ordered 20 of them...a fire department near us has had 6 of them in operation for a while- into fires...they still work.

K1UC Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2003 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Bargain!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have about 50 of these on our ambulance squad, and they are used to monitor dispatch (with the built-in 2-tone decode) and our repeater, simultanteously. They work very well in this setup. Occasionally, they do miss catching the 2-tone, though, which I think is due to the dual channel monitoring.

They are incredibly rugged. I've been using one for 2+ years without the case, and it's still in excellent condition. The plastic on the front of the case is totally indestructable.

If you're in New England, you can get amazingly good prices from www.rfwiz.com.

73 Jay K1UC

RAINWOLF_275 Rating: 3/5 Oct 22, 2002 13:58 Send this review to a friend
It's OK !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The going price on this radio is about $400.00. It transcieves and recieves outstanding as compared to the Motorola HT1250. The problem with this radio is that the 2-Tone paging is written into the PC board, therfore, it does not have a seperate decoding board. This causes a problem with some 2-tone frequencies on a 2-tone paging system. I would recommend this radio to one who is looking for an inexpensive radio, as long as they check the 2-tone capabilities first.

DERICK873 Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2001 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this radio since August. Vertex just began to make them 6-7-01. Great Radio. Really like the 8-character alpha-numeric display. Like the priority scan, and dual watch. Very useful radio and compact too. Transmit great. Only problem i see with it is that when stood up on a flat surface, it is a little tipsy. Besides that great radio highly recommend it over a Motorolla. Great Price and 3 year Warranty!