Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola HT-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola HT-1000
Motorola HT-1000 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $150 - 350
Description: The Motorola HT-1000 is similar to the JT-1000, but can only be programmed with Motorola software. They have 2 or 16 channels and have many programmable operational functions. They come in several frequency ranges, the most popular are VHF-HI, UHF 402-470 MHz and UHF 450-512 MHz. The are commercial, industrial grade radios that meet FCC standards for this category of service.
More info: http://www.motorola.com

You can write your own review of the Motorola HT-1000.

KC0QGL Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2005 03:55 Send this review to a friend
one of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off I love motorola's.I've used my HT-1000 in snow and rain and never had a problem with it(same with all my motos).This ht has been droped,rained on,sat on,steped on,landed on(I went over the handlebars of my mt.bike,and landed on it).All in all one of the best I own.

AD5BN Rating: 3/5 Sep 21, 2003 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Rugged radio...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am going to write this review from an AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR'S perspective, not a public safety employee's perspective. This radio gets a "5" from a PS perspective, but the lack of programming software availability, programming cable availability, and channel capacity limits the usefulness of this radio to hams. Great for PS, mediocre for hams.

N3JTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2003 21:16 Send this review to a friend
SUPER RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GOT THIS RADIO USED. LOVE IT USE IT FOR REACT SAR UHF LIKE TO BUY VHF........

KG4RNK Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2002 16:44 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The absolute best radio I have ever used for the price and package. The Jedi series of Motorola radios do not disappoint. I can get in to repeaters with my 4 watt UHF and sound well, when I can't get in with my Yaesu VX-5R. This is the difference, along with talking at 4 watts all day and having a good battery, unlike ham equipment that you have to recharge all day long.

HIFIANDREW Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2002 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Quality Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this radio in professional security for awhile. When we have emergencies we need something reliable and the HT1000's are generally that. Especially since the ones we use are 6 years old. They perform well and are ruggid. I love Motorola industrial radios the best. Fairly lightweight considering the brawn of the build. They don't have tons of bells and whistles, they just do a few things and do them very well. My only nitpicks.. the biggest is the battery design. The clips that hold it in place are prone to breaking. This is a major design flaw. My advice is to use a drop in charger and change the battery as little as possible. I own some HT600's and their slide-on battery works much better than the clip on for the HT1000. Also, the speaker-mics for the HT1000 work well but the push button is kind of flimsy and can break. If it weren't for the serious battery clip breakage design flaw, I'd rate it a perfect 5 out of 5. Still a hard to beat radio.

KE4RWS Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2002 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say . . . . unless you got one that's been dragged behind a car for ten miles, these radio's perform flawlessly in the capacity you use them in!

I use mine for UHF amateur radio purposes and it works wonderfully. There are two basic bandsplits in the UHF range; 403-470 MHz and 450-520 MHz. Mine is the 403-470 model, as I operate mainly in the 435-450 MHz range. Output is a steady 4 watts on the UHF model (5 watts on the VHF model). The RSS can program the radio in a wide variety of configurations. I have mine set up with all the local 440 MHz repeaters and simplex channels, and some commercial channels as well. The top 3-position toggle switch can be programmed in a variety of ways. Again, I have mine programmed for A)High Power, B)Low Power, and C)Scan. This gives the user the ability to adapt to whatever conditions your in, and makes the radio more user-friendly rather than just being able to turn it on and off.

Like I said, unless yours has been drug behind a car and buried in a lake you shouldn't have any issues with this radio.

You can find them on nearly any auction for a variety of price ranges, and all accessories are readily available as well (batteries, speaker/mics, headsets, etc).

I highly recommend the HT1000 to anyone desiring a good heavy-duty VHF, UHF or 800 MHz portable radio.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2001 23:32 Send this review to a friend
Solid, simple, commercial quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
A few years ago when I became the mayor of my home town, the police and fire departments were about to order additional Motorola HT-1000's for some newly hired personnel. I had always wanted to own a commercial grade HT and I was invited to join in on their order. I bought one VHF and one UHF model, both with touchtone pads. Programming them was no problem because I had easy access to the programming software. These radios run 5 watts out on VHF and 4 watts out on UHF. They have more than enough audio to fill a noisy room. There is a three way switch on the top and three buttons on the side that can be custom taylored to perform whatever functions you want them to. In my case the switch selects repeat, talkaround and scan. The buttons operate the TT pad button lighting, the scan lockout and open squelch functions. Both radios have 16 channels which I have programmed with both amateur and local government frequencies. These radios are extremely solid and sturdy, considerably more so than most amateur gear. Receive sensitivity, aversion to intermod and battery life have been what you would expect from a commercial grade HT: Superb! Being able to legally use the same radio for municipal functions and for amateur radio has been very handy on numerous occasions. In my opinion, the HT-1000 is an excellent, easy to use, solid, no nonsense radio that won't let you down. They are often found at hamfests for very reasonable prices. The only complication can be finding a source to get them programmed.