Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical
Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Reviews: 69 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $211.00
Description: 5 band vertical for amateur hf
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical.

VA3WXM Rating: 3/5 Jul 5, 2011 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Okay but needs work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the MA5V new last year but only recently had a chance to build it and get it in the air. Assembly went well. All the necessary pieces were in the box. Instructions were clear and easy to follow.

However, when installation time rolled around I stumbled upon the one weakness that really soured my impression of this antenna: the eight radials (each not much thicker than stiff piano wire) are held in place between the two radial plates in a sandwich fashion. Unfortunately, almost half of the radials were not clamped tight enough and proceeded to simply fall out as I lifted the antenna in the air. This posed a problem as I was on the roof of my house and a couple of the fallen radials slid down the shingles and onto the ground. I tried my best to tighten the screws holding the radial plates together that didn't seem to help. I could see this becoming a nightmare scenario: the last thing I need is to have antenna parts falling from the sky!

I plowed ahead anyway and tuned up the antenna. Working with the recommended dimensions, 20 and 10 were fine but 17, 15 and 12 were way off and needed adjusting. An antenna analyzer made this job easy. Once set, I fired up my rig and found the MA5V worked fine but signals were down a couple of S-units compared to my TGM mini-quad. Of course this was not surprising considering the MA5V is a shortened, OCF vertical dipole.

At the end of the day, I really wanted to like this antenna but the radial issue was a black mark for me. If someone has a suggested fix, I'm all ears.

A previous antenna I owned was the MA5B mini-beam and it was an excellent antenna both in terms of build quality and performance. The "original" MA5V made by Cushcraft used only four radials and seemed more robust. This "new" MA5V appears to have been blessed by the hand of MFJ (since they bought out Cushcraft a year or so ago) and, unfortunately, it shows.

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 14:28 Send this review to a friend
2 1/2 Years Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna is still working great, everything still intact, even after some heavy wind storms over the last couple of years. Works well on all bands, just caught some Carribean stations on 20M and a DXpedition station in Central Kiribati on 17M. Ordering the 6 meter add on so I can get on that band as well. As has been stated before, if you need a "low profile" antenna for an apartment or for a neighborhood with covenants this is a good choice.

W9SHO Rating: 1/5 Apr 3, 2011 07:10 Send this review to a friend
not happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After receiving the antenna, I assembled it and
found many parts missing and after 1 plus week
still waiting for the parts.

The balun,radials mounting bracked, and part
of the 20 meter x was missing.

Good Luck.
Tony w9sho

VK5AGC Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2011 01:18 Send this review to a friend
Great stuff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what does one say about this antenna, all good things I presume. All the parts came out of the box for me and was built in just over half an hour.I had no trouble building it as the instructions were clear and precise and left one in no doubt whatsoever. I put it up on a 27 foot telescopic pipe system, to clear roof tops and other obstacles.On trying the antenna,it went off first shot and the first call I heard was from Scotland, the place of my birth hi, so full marks there. When get my rig back from repairs, I expect to have good times with this fine antenna...Well done Cushcraft.

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2010 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second comment on this antenna. I bought the ma5v as a backup to my 130 foot dipole. Here in WNY, we got a lot of wind certain times of the year and the dipole gets ripped apart every now and then. The ma5v has been a very pleasant surprise in it's ease of assembly and performance on the air. So, it has become my primary antenna 20 thru 10 meters. Swr has remained the same on all bands. It did help to have a friend come over with his antenna analyzer. I've had the ma5v about 4 years and no complaints, worked a lot of dx with it, even with conditions they way they are lately.

LA8GK Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2010 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the MA5V for about three weeks, and I must say that I am very pleased with it! I have added the 6m kit, and two days ago I made my first 6m contact. I got my license in 1966, but due to TV ch2, we have been restricted from using this band in this area (JP53ek) until they recently switched off the TV-transmitter :-) The antenna tunes very well on all designated bands, and even without a tuner it stays well within 2:1 in SWR. I normally get an answer from stations I hear, and the backround noise is much lower than that of my LW. The tiny footprint is of course not a disadvantage either!

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 12:44 Send this review to a friend
I am excited  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This replaced another compromise vertical - the Diamond BB7V that I had up for a year. I live in an apartment building in the middle of NYC and am lucky to have access to the roof at 100 feet. Just don't have room for radials. The BB7V is longer than the Cushcraft by a good 10 feet but has no radial system and is not critical in its tuning. Very broadband meaning that it just can't be as efficient as this one. I put it up and my first contact was with SM5CAK. Got a nice signal report. My next one was on phone with a ZF station in the Caymans. First phone contact in a year as I'm mostly a cw op, but I just had to try this out. Unfortunately I couldn't do a comparison with the two antennas because I only have one place for installation and one had to come down for the other to go up. I worked plenty of stations stateside and overseas with the Diamond but I feel I hear lots better with the Cushcraft. I like the construction and am happy with this antenna.

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice for limited space  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna flat out works. I live in a area covered by convenants so needed a small antenna that would not attract too much attention. Assembly was a snap, had it put together in a little over an hour. Put it up 15 feet and was on the air. It required a bit of tuning with the stubs but once set, tuned on all bands without a problem. Working it with my new Yaesu FT-950 with an internal antenna tuner. Recently worked the WWDX contest and QSO's with Finland, Columbia, Hawaii, Japan, and the Caribbean on 20 meters. Also worked the East Coast and Midwest from Washington without a problem. All at 100 watts. I have also been on 17 and 15 meters. Just can't wait for those elusive sunspots so all bands open up and I can try the antenna on all 5 bands. The price is a little steep, but the antenna works and I highly recommend it for anyone with space limitations.

KG4JJS Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2007 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Just worked Je1let  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just worked JE1LET from Tokyo with IC718 100watts ssb bottom of the sunspot cycle through a pile up ant is only 10 feet off the ground.
I think this antenna works HI HI.I am located in Dunedin FL. Need a vert ant get this one, easy to install , no radials stealthy....Oh did I say this any works well I meant it works GREAT.FIVE STARS ALL THE WAY.....
Nice job Cushcraft and thanks AES Milwaukee.
Tim

NK5G Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2007 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fantastic antenna. I first bought mine while living in an apartment and then when I moved into a house I mounted it up at 20 feet on two sections of galvanized pipe. It is a nice low profile lightweight antenna.

One may find that the black coating comes off. This is cosmetic. Some black non metalic spray paint puts a nice coating on it.