Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical
Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Reviews: 63 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $211.00
Description: 5 band vertical for amateur hf
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 12:44 Send this review to a friend
I am excited  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This replaced another compromise vertical - the Diamond BB7V that I had up for a year. I live in an apartment building in the middle of NYC and am lucky to have access to the roof at 100 feet. Just don't have room for radials. The BB7V is longer than the Cushcraft by a good 10 feet but has no radial system and is not critical in its tuning. Very broadband meaning that it just can't be as efficient as this one. I put it up and my first contact was with SM5CAK. Got a nice signal report. My next one was on phone with a ZF station in the Caymans. First phone contact in a year as I'm mostly a cw op, but I just had to try this out. Unfortunately I couldn't do a comparison with the two antennas because I only have one place for installation and one had to come down for the other to go up. I worked plenty of stations stateside and overseas with the Diamond but I feel I hear lots better with the Cushcraft. I like the construction and am happy with this antenna.

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice for limited space  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna flat out works. I live in a area covered by convenants so needed a small antenna that would not attract too much attention. Assembly was a snap, had it put together in a little over an hour. Put it up 15 feet and was on the air. It required a bit of tuning with the stubs but once set, tuned on all bands without a problem. Working it with my new Yaesu FT-950 with an internal antenna tuner. Recently worked the WWDX contest and QSO's with Finland, Columbia, Hawaii, Japan, and the Caribbean on 20 meters. Also worked the East Coast and Midwest from Washington without a problem. All at 100 watts. I have also been on 17 and 15 meters. Just can't wait for those elusive sunspots so all bands open up and I can try the antenna on all 5 bands. The price is a little steep, but the antenna works and I highly recommend it for anyone with space limitations.

KG4JJS Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2007 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Just worked Je1let  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just worked JE1LET from Tokyo with IC718 100watts ssb bottom of the sunspot cycle through a pile up ant is only 10 feet off the ground.
I think this antenna works HI HI.I am located in Dunedin FL. Need a vert ant get this one, easy to install , no radials stealthy....Oh did I say this any works well I meant it works GREAT.FIVE STARS ALL THE WAY.....
Nice job Cushcraft and thanks AES Milwaukee.
Tim

NK5G Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2007 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fantastic antenna. I first bought mine while living in an apartment and then when I moved into a house I mounted it up at 20 feet on two sections of galvanized pipe. It is a nice low profile lightweight antenna.

One may find that the black coating comes off. This is cosmetic. Some black non metalic spray paint puts a nice coating on it.

MM3DHL Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2007 10:18 Send this review to a friend
First 2 weeks of owning this antenna.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this antenna for a couple of weeks now and have been very impressed by its performance, it is several S points up on RX and TX over my W3DZZ trapped dipole and has been consistently out performing my monoband dipoles, it is especially good on 20 meters.
I live on a farm 660ft above sealevel on a hill and it can get very windy most days the antenna tends to bend rather alarmingly at times so I have it on a tilt over pole so as to bring it down quickly as required.
The build quality and performance for the price will be very hard to beat especially if you live in the USA where you pay in dollars half as much as I paid in pounds.
Watch this space for more reveiws further down.

KC9FFV Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2007 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Fine little antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed my MA5V today! I had some problems with the SWR on 20 meters but, after cutting of 1 inch from the 14 MHZ stub and fine tuning it, I was able to get it right.
The SWR is great on the 5 bands now!
I turned on the radio right after installation and S58N ( Slovenia ) was calling on 20 meters, worked him with 100W from my good ole Kenwood TS450S.
Don't get me wrong it took a while before he heard me, but worked non the less.
My MA5V is installed at 50 feet in the clear, I am sure that helped too.
Very happy for now.........

K8IY Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2007 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would rate this as a great performer for the price. I assembled the antenna was getting ready to check the swr, I heard SY8AN call CQ on 20 meters, hit the autotuner on the TS50/AT50 and worked him with a 57 report. This was with the antenna about 6 feet off the ground next to a wall of aluminum siding.
The only reason I'm not giving it a 5 was Cushcraft changed the mounting hardware and didn't include the new instructions with the package. I called and they emailed them to me quickly but that was on Monday and I had to wait from Saturday. Pretty frustrating.

W9ASH Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 20:51 Send this review to a friend
All You really need  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just got finshed working ZL4NR (from my QTH in Chicago)with 100 watts at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, well after dark on 20 meters with my MA5V. Sure there may be more effective antennas... but this is a small vertical that requires no radials and will work just fine for many people who can't use a bigger or more conspicuous antenna. 14 feet tall, no radials... this is a real solutioin for the antenna challenged.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice and clean vertical solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna since they came out a few years ago.I was in an apartment at that moment and the MA5V was a good choice for a balcony-mounted aerial.I sold it to try something else because i like to experiment with
antennas.Things improved and i finally got a house with a small yard to play with.After playing a lot with wires and a lousy R-7000,I decided to get another MA5V since i was happy with the performance i had before.
I was not disapointed.The antenna is on a 20' mast fixed behind the 2-story house.You have to look very hard to see it from the street.
The MA5V/MA6V is basically a vertical off-center
fed dipole so don't expect a monoband yagi performance.However, i am working DX on a regular basis and the good mechanical construction is a real plus in the hard weather here.
Resonance curves are on par with the manual and the autotuner of my radio is taking care of the 20m limited bandwidth.
I am currently running an Icom 746pro and this combination is truly a plug and play setup.
The main point is that antenna is light and easy to install,so you can mount it high in the clear away form noise sources.Assembly was easy with
even a few extra bolts and nuts.40M addition would have been nice but not the end of the world.For a compact 10m to 20m vertical,the MA5V is the solution !
Dave VA2DV

G1MQQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2006 11:40 Send this review to a friend
still impressive  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still there after winter battering. I've aded a thrid lashing kit though. Bends alarmingly in wind at the fibreglass section but always comes up smiling :-) I've addd the 6m section which performs well enough for me. Still too expensive hence only 4/5 but if you've no room for anything bigger you've no choice