Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical
Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Reviews: 69 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $211.00
Description: 5 band vertical for amateur hf

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical.

MM3DHL Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2007 10:18 Send this review to a friend
First 2 weeks of owning this antenna.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this antenna for a couple of weeks now and have been very impressed by its performance, it is several S points up on RX and TX over my W3DZZ trapped dipole and has been consistently out performing my monoband dipoles, it is especially good on 20 meters.
I live on a farm 660ft above sealevel on a hill and it can get very windy most days the antenna tends to bend rather alarmingly at times so I have it on a tilt over pole so as to bring it down quickly as required.
The build quality and performance for the price will be very hard to beat especially if you live in the USA where you pay in dollars half as much as I paid in pounds.
Watch this space for more reveiws further down.

KC9FFV Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2007 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Fine little antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed my MA5V today! I had some problems with the SWR on 20 meters but, after cutting of 1 inch from the 14 MHZ stub and fine tuning it, I was able to get it right.
The SWR is great on the 5 bands now!
I turned on the radio right after installation and S58N ( Slovenia ) was calling on 20 meters, worked him with 100W from my good ole Kenwood TS450S.
Don't get me wrong it took a while before he heard me, but worked non the less.
My MA5V is installed at 50 feet in the clear, I am sure that helped too.
Very happy for now.........
K8IY Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2007 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would rate this as a great performer for the price. I assembled the antenna was getting ready to check the swr, I heard SY8AN call CQ on 20 meters, hit the autotuner on the TS50/AT50 and worked him with a 57 report. This was with the antenna about 6 feet off the ground next to a wall of aluminum siding.
The only reason I'm not giving it a 5 was Cushcraft changed the mounting hardware and didn't include the new instructions with the package. I called and they emailed them to me quickly but that was on Monday and I had to wait from Saturday. Pretty frustrating.
W9ASH Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 20:51 Send this review to a friend
All You really need  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just got finshed working ZL4NR (from my QTH in Chicago)with 100 watts at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, well after dark on 20 meters with my MA5V. Sure there may be more effective antennas... but this is a small vertical that requires no radials and will work just fine for many people who can't use a bigger or more conspicuous antenna. 14 feet tall, no radials... this is a real solutioin for the antenna challenged.
VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice and clean vertical solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna since they came out a few years ago.I was in an apartment at that moment and the MA5V was a good choice for a balcony-mounted aerial.I sold it to try something else because i like to experiment with
antennas.Things improved and i finally got a house with a small yard to play with.After playing a lot with wires and a lousy R-7000,I decided to get another MA5V since i was happy with the performance i had before.
I was not disapointed.The antenna is on a 20' mast fixed behind the 2-story house.You have to look very hard to see it from the street.
The MA5V/MA6V is basically a vertical off-center
fed dipole so don't expect a monoband yagi performance.However, i am working DX on a regular basis and the good mechanical construction is a real plus in the hard weather here.
Resonance curves are on par with the manual and the autotuner of my radio is taking care of the 20m limited bandwidth.
I am currently running an Icom 746pro and this combination is truly a plug and play setup.
The main point is that antenna is light and easy to install,so you can mount it high in the clear away form noise sources.Assembly was easy with
even a few extra bolts and nuts.40M addition would have been nice but not the end of the world.For a compact 10m to 20m vertical,the MA5V is the solution !
Dave VA2DV
G1MQQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2006 11:40 Send this review to a friend
still impressive  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still there after winter battering. I've aded a thrid lashing kit though. Bends alarmingly in wind at the fibreglass section but always comes up smiling :-) I've addd the 6m section which performs well enough for me. Still too expensive hence only 4/5 but if you've no room for anything bigger you've no choice
NG0K Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2006 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Does a nice job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got this antenna mounted on a roof tripod with the base at 23 feet, fed with 50 feet of RG213. I use it mostly for CW/QRP operation on 20 meters.

I've had nice results using it in several contests; most recently the CQWW CW prefix contest (81 contacts casually tuning around as my time permitted, all 5-watts QRP, some nice long haul DX too). I can also include 3Y0X on the last day of operation on 17m CW using 100w.

For a small roof mounted antenna with no radials needed, I would say it does a great job.

73, Doug
KD1E Rating: 2/5 May 31, 2006 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Too many issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one used, in good condition as a short term easy-up antenna while I got the rest of my station up and running.

The antenna was pretty easy to assemble and put up.

Performance was good for a short vertical. I compared it to my ground mounted vert over 12 radials and the MA5V performed about the same on all but the lowest band (20) where the ground mounted antenna was clearly better.

SWR bandwidth was very narrow on all bands. I had to pick either CW or Phone. That was expected on 20 but on 17, 15, 12? Gee, the antenna isn't THAT small!

Tuning was very, very touchy and it took several iterations to get it set. A very small tweak and the match point would shift greatly.

Rain affected the antenna a lot! It would shift the resonant point from the SSB portion of a band through the CW portion and right off the bottom making the antenna not useable due to high SWR.

While the antenna's performance was acceptable, the tuning issues, limited bandwidth and extreme rain susceptability made the antenna pretty useless much of the time. My home-brew 28 foot ground mounted vertical, fed with RG-213 and a tuner in the garage out performed the MA5V, was easier to install & tune, and cost less money.
KE5FDW Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2005 09:10 Send this review to a friend
So Far - So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For it's size and lack of headaches with radials, this is a great antenna. It took about 4 hours from box to having it mounted on my roof. All bands have perfect SWR except 20M and that was corrected with a tuner. I'm getting 5-9 reports from coast to coast and have had it for a week so don't know how international contacts will be yet but I'm very optimistic.
Cushcraft customer support is excellent as I emailed them with a question and they called me back on the phone!

Now my only concern is how long it will last so I'll give another update in a year.

For the money and size, you can't go wrong with this antenna.
N5UV Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2005 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Still kicking at nearly 3 years old!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I just have to pipe in since so many folks are antenna "haters" and won't give this ant. credit where credit is due. I'm approaching 2 years of solid use, and it has NEVER let me down. This is even after seeing the black polyurethane seals wearing off almost completely, and not doing anything to correct it.

I plan to retire this ant. in a week or so, though...I need something vertical for ALL bands, so I had to break down and get a Hustler 6BTV. I'll review that one shortly. But this ant. was SPECIFICALLY designed for 5 band ops. from 10m thru 20m., and it has done it's job very well. However, I do plan to employ this in mobile operations in the near future. It's a bit big for driving around town, but I can very easily just put it up in my truck during lunch to get on the air, or do some emergency ops. To make a long story short, it's still one of the best commercial ants. I've ever had the pleasure of using, and it delivered on everything it promised, in spades.