Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical
Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $211.00
Description: 5 band vertical for amateur hf
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical.

W9ASH Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 20:51 Send this review to a friend
All You really need  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just got finshed working ZL4NR (from my QTH in Chicago)with 100 watts at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, well after dark on 20 meters with my MA5V. Sure there may be more effective antennas... but this is a small vertical that requires no radials and will work just fine for many people who can't use a bigger or more conspicuous antenna. 14 feet tall, no radials... this is a real solutioin for the antenna challenged.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice and clean vertical solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna since they came out a few years ago.I was in an apartment at that moment and the MA5V was a good choice for a balcony-mounted aerial.I sold it to try something else because i like to experiment with
antennas.Things improved and i finally got a house with a small yard to play with.After playing a lot with wires and a lousy R-7000,I decided to get another MA5V since i was happy with the performance i had before.
I was not disapointed.The antenna is on a 20' mast fixed behind the 2-story house.You have to look very hard to see it from the street.
The MA5V/MA6V is basically a vertical off-center
fed dipole so don't expect a monoband yagi performance.However, i am working DX on a regular basis and the good mechanical construction is a real plus in the hard weather here.
Resonance curves are on par with the manual and the autotuner of my radio is taking care of the 20m limited bandwidth.
I am currently running an Icom 746pro and this combination is truly a plug and play setup.
The main point is that antenna is light and easy to install,so you can mount it high in the clear away form noise sources.Assembly was easy with
even a few extra bolts and nuts.40M addition would have been nice but not the end of the world.For a compact 10m to 20m vertical,the MA5V is the solution !
Dave VA2DV

G1MQQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2006 11:40 Send this review to a friend
still impressive  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still there after winter battering. I've aded a thrid lashing kit though. Bends alarmingly in wind at the fibreglass section but always comes up smiling :-) I've addd the 6m section which performs well enough for me. Still too expensive hence only 4/5 but if you've no room for anything bigger you've no choice

NG0K Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2006 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Does a nice job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got this antenna mounted on a roof tripod with the base at 23 feet, fed with 50 feet of RG213. I use it mostly for CW/QRP operation on 20 meters.

I've had nice results using it in several contests; most recently the CQWW CW prefix contest (81 contacts casually tuning around as my time permitted, all 5-watts QRP, some nice long haul DX too). I can also include 3Y0X on the last day of operation on 17m CW using 100w.

For a small roof mounted antenna with no radials needed, I would say it does a great job.

73, Doug

KD1E Rating: 2/5 May 31, 2006 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Too many issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one used, in good condition as a short term easy-up antenna while I got the rest of my station up and running.

GOOD:

The antenna was pretty easy to assemble and put up.

Performance was good for a short vertical. I compared it to my ground mounted vert over 12 radials and the MA5V performed about the same on all but the lowest band (20) where the ground mounted antenna was clearly better.

BAD:

SWR bandwidth was very narrow on all bands. I had to pick either CW or Phone. That was expected on 20 but on 17, 15, 12? Gee, the antenna isn't THAT small!

Tuning was very, very touchy and it took several iterations to get it set. A very small tweak and the match point would shift greatly.

Rain affected the antenna a lot! It would shift the resonant point from the SSB portion of a band through the CW portion and right off the bottom making the antenna not useable due to high SWR.

BOTTOM LINE:

While the antenna's performance was acceptable, the tuning issues, limited bandwidth and extreme rain susceptability made the antenna pretty useless much of the time. My home-brew 28 foot ground mounted vertical, fed with RG-213 and a tuner in the garage out performed the MA5V, was easier to install & tune, and cost less money.

KE5FDW Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2005 09:10 Send this review to a friend
So Far - So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For it's size and lack of headaches with radials, this is a great antenna. It took about 4 hours from box to having it mounted on my roof. All bands have perfect SWR except 20M and that was corrected with a tuner. I'm getting 5-9 reports from coast to coast and have had it for a week so don't know how international contacts will be yet but I'm very optimistic.
Cushcraft customer support is excellent as I emailed them with a question and they called me back on the phone!

Now my only concern is how long it will last so I'll give another update in a year.

For the money and size, you can't go wrong with this antenna.

N5UV Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2005 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Still kicking at nearly 3 years old!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I just have to pipe in since so many folks are antenna "haters" and won't give this ant. credit where credit is due. I'm approaching 2 years of solid use, and it has NEVER let me down. This is even after seeing the black polyurethane seals wearing off almost completely, and not doing anything to correct it.

I plan to retire this ant. in a week or so, though...I need something vertical for ALL bands, so I had to break down and get a Hustler 6BTV. I'll review that one shortly. But this ant. was SPECIFICALLY designed for 5 band ops. from 10m thru 20m., and it has done it's job very well. However, I do plan to employ this in mobile operations in the near future. It's a bit big for driving around town, but I can very easily just put it up in my truck during lunch to get on the air, or do some emergency ops. To make a long story short, it's still one of the best commercial ants. I've ever had the pleasure of using, and it delivered on everything it promised, in spades.

WA2PVK Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2005 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Better than I expected!  Time owned: more than 12 months
At first glance one might be skeptical of an HF antenna with radials just 48" long. (I was!) My skepticism did not live long however. A MFJ antenna analyzer made short work of tweaking all 5 bands. I love this antenna so much that I purchased a second one for use with my secondary rig. My other HF antenna is a multi-band inverted V and I like running diversity reception using the inverted V and one of the verticals. This is a FANTASTIC antenna. The size is small but the performance is HUGE. I had a Hustler 6BTV but the MA5V is MUCH better!

W0DKM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2005 18:18 Send this review to a friend
2 Years old, Looks great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best $200.00 I have spent. Took it down from 40ft this last fall. No lose parts. I live on high hill, with 30 to 60 mph winds several times a year. After a wind storm, I run out to see how she looks. And the little bugger looks back at me, like "what you looken at". I have dipoles on the same bands, and switch to the vert or poles for best signal. Never know which one will work best.I recommend both.

VE3WGO Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2004 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer & Easy Kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found this a very easy to build this kit with no trouble at all. I mounted it 15 feet above ground on a TV mast in the backyard. Not highly visible even though it is in plain view, so it will keep the neighbours happy. Stands up to strong winds very well, and easy to mount and dismount from the mast with 2 U-bolts. I covered the end of the coax pigtail with a bit of Coax Seal. It does not take up a lot of space either. No TVI was noticed on any band, so I guess the coax choke does its job well.

Good bandwidth. Centre frequencies on all bands were mid-band, 20m a bit lower than I wanted, so only adjustment needed was to shorten the 20m stub on top by a half inch. SWR minimum is 1.2 or so on all bands.

With my FT-847, first contact was Sweden, followed by Brazil a few minutes later, through modest pileups. North America is easy to cover on most days. So it gets out well. Good reception, and good transmit reports.

Overall, it was a good buy, has good mechanical design, and its performance is very reasonable.