Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 5BTV HF vertical
Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Reviews: 136 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $211.99
Description: Hustler 5BTV HF vertical antenna for 10,15,20,40 and 80 meters.
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com

You can write your own review of the Hustler 5BTV HF vertical.

KD0ZK Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2015 02:42 Send this review to a friend
works on 17  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have a ground mounted BTV5 no Mods at all it works on 17 meters flat SWR feed it with 130 feet of RG8X have a 8 ft ground rod Horizontal on the ground ( SOME SAY ) i am only TX from Coax , others say it is Not Possible to have flat SWR on 17 oh well i have it and it works ,,,,,
ALL my normal 5 bands are FLAT SWR and i do at times pump my Ameritron AL 811 into the antenna

K4FY Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Competent design and good value.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Hustler 5BTV from DX engineering along with a tilt over base (a must). DXE provides a detailed installation manual that includes tuning the traps. The tilt over base makes this a relatively easy process.

The quality of Hustler and DXE materials are good to excellent. The tilt base is a massive hunk of stainless steel. I have owned a couple of verticals before this one (Moseley and Hy-Gain) and found the Hustler to be a little better quality. The design of trap verticals is similar.

My installation is a few inches above the ground. The antenna is grounded through an 8 foot copper ground rod with AWG 8 wire in Florida soil. 25, 24 foot radials are connected to the ground rod and buried in a fan configuration. SWR on all bands is satisfactory and tunes easily with my FT-990 and FTdx1200. 80 meters is, of course, quite narrow (plus/minus 50 KHz) but adequate for my needs.

Putting 800 watts into the antenna causes no strain. Verticals are adept at working DX due to their low angle radiation pattern. Iíve never had any antenna other than a trap vertical and OCFD at 40 feet. My DX confirmed total is 270.

Trap verticals can be installed a number of ways. Ground mounted with a good radial system (more the better) or elevated as a ground plane. A roof mounted vertical with two radials per band cut to half wave is a very effective performer.

I would pick the Hustler over the others as a good value for a competent antenna. DX Engineering is a top notch outfit.

W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Went back and extended and buried 36 of the radials to 32 feet as recommended by DXE and extended the other 4 radials out to 64 feet as recommended by Nutronics. Have also added the DXE 12 and 17 meter add-ons. Both tuned to 1.5 across the bands and work great with the Kenwood 590-S. Have been able to work numerous DX on both bands. Believe the radial system has improved my signal since I have no trouble working DX.

W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I returned to ham after a long absence and had to build a station from scratch. Having never done that I researched radios, antennas, etc. and selected the 5BTV from DXE and bought the complete package with radial plate, tilt base (a VERY good move), and radial package. Erected it following the very detailed illustrated instructions and buried 40 25' radials and 400MAX coax to a Kenwood 590s. Very happy with the outcome. Able to work DX stations easily. The 80 meter whip resonator has a limited 40-50 kc range but the Kenwood internal tuner is able to tune 80 kc high and low of resonance on 80. I actually lowered my tilt base from the recommended 8" to only 4" in order to be closer to resonance starting in 10 meters. In my case it didn't require a large adjustment of the trap. The antenna is very well built and not obtrusive if you are worried about appearance. I'd buy it again in a heart beat!

KC0CID Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the second 5BTV I have owned and to date I have had no problems with either one of the Hustler 5BTV's. Great antenna for limited space. Easy assembly and can be used with or without radials. I would highly recommend this antenna to anyone and I would not hesitate to buy another myself if needed

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had no problems with this antenna. It is constructed much better than my old Butternut. I was in fact impressed with how well it was constructed, especially after reading some of the reviews on Eham.

I followed the assembly directions and added some radials. I have not had to adjust it at all or use my antenna tuner. All bands less than 1.5:1 which surprised me, as I am using it 2 feet off the ground and use 2 ham sticks per band for radials.

It doesn't perform better than my 80M full wave loop, but then it has no gain, but I knew that prior to the purchase.

For a vertical it works fine, sometimes as well as my inverted Vee at 30 feet.

WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reading some of the negative reviews here, I must comment on one thing; how are you tightening the clamps and how are you mounting, with or without radials? I have mine ground mounted, no radials, added the two home brew wires for 12 & 17 and have never had a problem with this antenna. I routinely work DX with 50 watts or less. Might I suggest that if you have problems, read the manual, read the instructions and most of all, don't ad lib to what is in the manual. Over tightening will strip a clamp, so why not just snug it as per the manual?
I have had two 5 Btv's and both were excellent, but remember, follow measuring instructions and use a good quality coax. Good Luck and 73!

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried many antennas for hf only to return to this one. Mine is ground mounted without radials using a heavy patio umbrella stand. I do use a LDG YT-100 tuner and the Yaesu 857D. Contacts of 5000 miles is not uncommon.

W4KYR Rating: 0/5 Sep 9, 2014 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Poor Workmanship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Apparently there are two different types of 5BTV from Hustler. I have one from 2005 and another one from 2011. I am reviewing the one bought in 2011.

This one was bought in 2011.

1.All the hose Clamps stripped and broke except for one during assembly of the antenna. Had to go out and buy new quality clamps.

2. Never could achieve resonance on 15 and 20 meters, difficult if not impossible to align the other bands despite having numerous ground radials and new coax. 20 meters was resonant on 18 Mhz. I doubled checked this.

3. The screws are rusted on the assembly holding the spider radials.

4. The 80 meter coil has a cracked seam down the middle.

5. Instead of using rubber seals like they did on the older one, they used loose plastic sleeves which cracks very easily and offers no protection from rain.

6. When you disassemble the antenna, be careful of soaking yourself with all the water that comes out of it.

7. Rating for the one from 2011 ---- 0/5

Now, for the older one about 9 years old

Still standing and working perfectly. No problems with assembly. Uses rubber seals instead of loose plastic. Hose clamps worked fine the first time. All the bands work fine with no issues. Interestingly this one did NOT come with the spider radials. The 80 meter coil has no cracks or broken seams and very solid. Rated 5/5

I cannot recommend this antenna to anyone. While they made a great antenna 10 years ago, something happened that changed that.

Perhaps it could be blamed on a bad run of production that would account for the problems with resonance.

Except that would not account for the rusted screws for the spider assembly, cracked coil, busted hose clamps and inferior leaky plastic sleeves.

KN0JI Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Wow...impressive for a vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Summary:

After installing the Hustler 5-BTV and accompanying radials, I am thoroughly impressed by its performance. Although transmit on 80 meters didn't work as well as I had hoped, 80 meter reception was terrific, and I got my first 80 meter QSL contact with this antenna.

Details:

I attached a six-foot 1-5/16" chain-link fence post as a mast to one leg of my dead swamp cooler, which is firmly mounted on my rooftop. I then attached the carefuly assembled 5-BTV to this mast, so that the bottom of the antenna was 26 feet above ground level. I made a "feedpoint" out of an SO-239 bulkhead connector soldered to two short pieces of stranded 14 AWG THHN attached to eyelets, and attached the bulkhead to a 2" Schedule 40 PVC cap and 2" Schedule 40 slip sleeve for weather protection. I then painstakingly followed the advice of Steve Katz (http://www.eham.net/articles/20850) and made radials (two each for 10, 15, 40, and 80 meters, and four for 20 meters) according to my own calculations (as opposed to that of the mfr), out of stranded 14 AWG THHN and ceramic insulators. I then (wired and) glued my feedpoint to the bottom of the antenna, then connected my feedline of 75' RG-8X with dual PL-259 connectors.

Results:

Wow. Gone where no ham (in my house) has gone before. Many report ten-over-nine on 40 meters from a thousand miles away. (One QSO was over 3000 miles, between my house and Laie, Hawaii, reporting ten-over-nine.) I thought that kind of performance was only possible with beams. Thanks to Steve, et al, it's all in the radials.