Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 5BTV HF vertical
Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Reviews: 145 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $211.99
Description: Hustler 5BTV HF vertical antenna for 10,15,20,40 and 80 meters.
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com

You can write your own review of the Hustler 5BTV HF vertical.

VK4FNRS Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2017 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Brought second hand , for portable use on caravan  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Brought second hand , it had not been used for
17 years, took 6 hours to clean.
I live in a caravan and this antenna with its minimal footprint is perfect compromise for my needs.And I do run it without ground radials.
Our F call licences are limited to 10watts, and the 5BTV gets me into Japan easily , and all around Australia
Very happy with it, .
Previous antenna was a Buddiepole Deluxe, but I found this too fragile, and required retunning when changing bands,

WW8X Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2017 07:37 Send this review to a friend
True performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 5BTV HF vertical antenna up for over 5 years. I normally can work any station I can hear, including many DX. My location is a small city lot, so I have few alternatives for antennas. My 5BTV is roof mounted at the peak of my house on a tripod with 2 radials for each band fanned out and secured to the shingles. It's fed with RG8 and I've put a 12 turn coffee-can sized coil in the coax at the feed point. It has decent SWR on all 5 bands and with a tuner I get the SWR down to under 1.5. It's guyed with lawyer mower starter rope at 4 points and has gone through many wind storms and is still standing straight and tall.

AB8BC Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 16:30 Send this review to a friend
1 year and working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
UPDATE: I year later, I have nothing but great things to say about this antenna. Because of where I live, I need something semi-stealth, slim and effective as possible. This antenna has been incredibly stable for me throughout winter, spring, summer, fall and now into winter again.

I've owned several antennas, many of them vertical. For the money, nothing has come close. I have this antenna guyed, using my own combination of turnbuckles and fish-pulling line [conduit]. We've had at least 20 different high wind (50 mph gust +) episodes in the time it's been up. Zero problems, always reliable.

I use roughly 600 watts (PEP) into the antenna and have no problem contacting stations I can hear. Typically 58 to 599 signal reports. For the money spent, well worth it.

BOYSCLUBRADIO Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2016 10:27 Send this review to a friend
best for the bux  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using them for years. Newer ones are not made to the professional quality that newtronics did in TX. But, they still work. One respondent said that when the wind blew...it changed... One thing you want to use on the joints of the antenna is nolox.. or equiv... this then will make great contact and won't allow the joints to corrode causing that.
I use one at home and I have one that we take with us when we go camping or visiting... WA6CDE had a great article on how to adapt this antenna to mobile/RV/ field ops. I suggest that you read it here on EHAM. Look up the article by his call sign.
While others say it is a poor antenna. It is true that it won't out do a inverted V on the lower bands. However, in a shootout with other verticals over at the army test range at stanford, it did outperform the dipole on any band from 20,15,10 etc... So the proof of this antenna has been tested and lots of good data on the results.
Indeed it works greater with ground radials. That is how a vertical works...go figure.

W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2016 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great vertical. If you don't add radials performance will suffer. I buried 40 32' radials. My 5BTV is now a 8BTV with the 12, 17, and 30 meter add-ons. I run 500w with a Ameritron solid state amp, ARI-500 keyer, and a MFJ-998 auto tuner. I initially had a problem, like NP3M, when I first installed the antenna, with 10/15/20 resonating very low and having to use all of the adjustment in the traps with unacceptable results. I had followed DXE instructions to mount the base of the antenna 8" above ground level with the tilt base. On the advice of Neutronics Tech support I lowered the entire tilt and antenna base to only 2" above ground level and the resonance on 10/15/20 was raised well within the range where minor adjustments could be made to the factory settings. Antenna has no guy wires and is very stable in windy conditions. I've only laid it down a couple of times due to hurricane/high winds forecasted. The tilt base is worth it's weight in gold.

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Oct 26, 2016 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Not Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a Hustler 5BTV several years ago & found that it was very unstable on all of the bands & when the wind blew it would cause the SWR to jump up when it was blowing.Very noisy also compared to my G5RV antenna.The G5RV also had a better signal both on receive & transmit on all 5 bands when compared head to head.I did not have any ground radials but thought it would have performed much better than it did without them.

VK2PG Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 01:20 Send this review to a friend
nice verticle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for just over 12 months and all I can say is it works very well.
It is ground mounted with 80 radials each 33 feet long. It took two days to complete the radial system but was well worth the effort.
I run 400w to the 5btv and generally work 95 percent of the dx I hear.
If you buy this antenna I can not stress enough
how important it is properly install a good radial system.
If you would like to see my setup please check me out on QRZ - VK2PG.
73.

N3PM Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2015 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved my 5BTV recently from an elevated mount to a ground mount. 10,15 and 20 resonated lower than expected, regardless of the standard adjustments. 40 and 80 were tunable. I adjusted the trap covers to get them closer to what I wanted. Initially adjusted the trap covers with no radials, and had very little shift when 12 40 footers were laid.
The trap adjustments were presented by IW5EDI and a page on HamUniverse.
I also cammoed it with Krylon paints and oak leaf stencils. No retuning was required.
I did replace the hose clamps once.
My 5 watts and I are happy with this vertical.

K1SCE Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2015 06:55 Send this review to a friend
cannot get needed parts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would echo most of the reviews of the 5btv on this site. (Except for the reviews that claim the antenna does not need radials).
The 5btv seems to be a good comprise for people that have limited space or need a small antenna. Of course it doesn't work as well as a vertical dipole re: gap antennas.
The main problem is getting inexpensive parts. My 5btv needed trap sleeves (they filled with water, froze then split). Here is a quote from New-Tronics, "We do not sell just the sleeve it would have to be the complete 10 meter trap assembly for $40.00". A little expensive. I also needed two tubes for the spider assembly, the New-Tronics quote, "The 6 blade spider tubes are only sold in a package of (6) for $20.00". I purchased a three foot Alum tube from DX Engineering and replaced my broken tubes, cost $1.45.

DX-Engineering also will NOT supply just the trap sleeve.
Of course I was able to get the tubing for the spider assy from them.

The trap assemblies on these antennas are thin and can dent and freeze and split. Something to think about when purchasing this antenna.
thank for reading. 73

KD0ZK Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2015 02:42 Send this review to a friend
works on 17  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have a ground mounted BTV5 no Mods at all it works on 17 meters flat SWR feed it with 130 feet of RG8X have a 8 ft ground rod Horizontal on the ground ( SOME SAY ) i am only TX from Coax , others say it is Not Possible to have flat SWR on 17 oh well i have it and it works ,,,,,
ALL my normal 5 bands are FLAT SWR and i do at times pump my Ameritron AL 811 into the antenna