Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 5BTV HF vertical
Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Reviews: 139 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $211.99
Description: Hustler 5BTV HF vertical antenna for 10,15,20,40 and 80 meters.

You can write your own review of the Hustler 5BTV HF vertical.

AB8BC Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 10:14 Send this review to a friend
well made, easy install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this in late August and installed by mid-October. I used the DX Engineering tilt mount and ground radial package for my install (40 total, 1/2 of them about 25-30' and the rest varies from 8' to 12'). Terrific antenna and very well laid out documentation from DX Engineering! I would highly recommend trenching your radials and not using the staple method. I used an edger to trench my radials. Quick, easy and efficient. Antenna tuned very closely to all bands I use with minor adjustment. Highly recommend if you are in a CCR area and have limited space. This antenna replaced an aging R7 and works wonderfully on all bands I need. 80 meter....not so well, but I don't expect much from it there. As a footnote, I'd suggest running at least 3 guy lines. Save yourself the worry of it bending in a sudden gust or heavy wind. 73
N3PM Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2015 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved my 5BTV recently from an elevated mount to a ground mount. 10,15 and 20 resonated lower than expected, regardless of the standard adjustments. 40 and 80 were tunable. I adjusted the trap covers to get them closer to what I wanted. Initially adjusted the trap covers with no radials, and had very little shift when 12 40 footers were laid.
The trap adjustments were presented by IW5EDI and a page on HamUniverse.
I also cammoed it with Krylon paints and oak leaf stencils. No retuning was required.
I did replace the hose clamps once.
My 5 watts and I are happy with this vertical.
K1SCE Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2015 06:55 Send this review to a friend
cannot get needed parts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would echo most of the reviews of the 5btv on this site. (Except for the reviews that claim the antenna does not need radials).
The 5btv seems to be a good comprise for people that have limited space or need a small antenna. Of course it doesn't work as well as a vertical dipole re: gap antennas.
The main problem is getting inexpensive parts. My 5btv needed trap sleeves (they filled with water, froze then split). Here is a quote from New-Tronics, "We do not sell just the sleeve it would have to be the complete 10 meter trap assembly for $40.00". A little expensive. I also needed two tubes for the spider assembly, the New-Tronics quote, "The 6 blade spider tubes are only sold in a package of (6) for $20.00". I purchased a three foot Alum tube from DX Engineering and replaced my broken tubes, cost $1.45.

DX-Engineering also will NOT supply just the trap sleeve.
Of course I was able to get the tubing for the spider assy from them.

The trap assemblies on these antennas are thin and can dent and freeze and split. Something to think about when purchasing this antenna.
thank for reading. 73
KD0ZK Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2015 02:42 Send this review to a friend
works on 17  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have a ground mounted BTV5 no Mods at all it works on 17 meters flat SWR feed it with 130 feet of RG8X have a 8 ft ground rod Horizontal on the ground ( SOME SAY ) i am only TX from Coax , others say it is Not Possible to have flat SWR on 17 oh well i have it and it works ,,,,,
ALL my normal 5 bands are FLAT SWR and i do at times pump my Ameritron AL 811 into the antenna
K4FY Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Competent design and good value.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Hustler 5BTV from DX engineering along with a tilt over base (a must). DXE provides a detailed installation manual that includes tuning the traps. The tilt over base makes this a relatively easy process.

The quality of Hustler and DXE materials are good to excellent. The tilt base is a massive hunk of stainless steel. I have owned a couple of verticals before this one (Moseley and Hy-Gain) and found the Hustler to be a little better quality. The design of trap verticals is similar.

My installation is a few inches above the ground. The antenna is grounded through an 8 foot copper ground rod with AWG 8 wire in Florida soil. 25, 24 foot radials are connected to the ground rod and buried in a fan configuration. SWR on all bands is satisfactory and tunes easily with my FT-990 and FTdx1200. 80 meters is, of course, quite narrow (plus/minus 50 KHz) but adequate for my needs.

Putting 800 watts into the antenna causes no strain. Verticals are adept at working DX due to their low angle radiation pattern. Iíve never had any antenna other than a trap vertical and OCFD at 40 feet. My DX confirmed total is 270.

Trap verticals can be installed a number of ways. Ground mounted with a good radial system (more the better) or elevated as a ground plane. A roof mounted vertical with two radials per band cut to half wave is a very effective performer.

I would pick the Hustler over the others as a good value for a competent antenna. DX Engineering is a top notch outfit.
W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Went back and extended and buried 36 of the radials to 32 feet as recommended by DXE and extended the other 4 radials out to 64 feet as recommended by Nutronics. Have also added the DXE 12 and 17 meter add-ons. Both tuned to 1.5 across the bands and work great with the Kenwood 590-S. Have been able to work numerous DX on both bands. Believe the radial system has improved my signal since I have no trouble working DX.
W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I returned to ham after a long absence and had to build a station from scratch. Having never done that I researched radios, antennas, etc. and selected the 5BTV from DXE and bought the complete package with radial plate, tilt base (a VERY good move), and radial package. Erected it following the very detailed illustrated instructions and buried 40 25' radials and 400MAX coax to a Kenwood 590s. Very happy with the outcome. Able to work DX stations easily. The 80 meter whip resonator has a limited 40-50 kc range but the Kenwood internal tuner is able to tune 80 kc high and low of resonance on 80. I actually lowered my tilt base from the recommended 8" to only 4" in order to be closer to resonance starting in 10 meters. In my case it didn't require a large adjustment of the trap. The antenna is very well built and not obtrusive if you are worried about appearance. I'd buy it again in a heart beat!
KC0CID Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the second 5BTV I have owned and to date I have had no problems with either one of the Hustler 5BTV's. Great antenna for limited space. Easy assembly and can be used with or without radials. I would highly recommend this antenna to anyone and I would not hesitate to buy another myself if needed
KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had no problems with this antenna. It is constructed much better than my old Butternut. I was in fact impressed with how well it was constructed, especially after reading some of the reviews on Eham.

I followed the assembly directions and added some radials. I have not had to adjust it at all or use my antenna tuner. All bands less than 1.5:1 which surprised me, as I am using it 2 feet off the ground and use 2 ham sticks per band for radials.

It doesn't perform better than my 80M full wave loop, but then it has no gain, but I knew that prior to the purchase.

For a vertical it works fine, sometimes as well as my inverted Vee at 30 feet.
WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reading some of the negative reviews here, I must comment on one thing; how are you tightening the clamps and how are you mounting, with or without radials? I have mine ground mounted, no radials, added the two home brew wires for 12 & 17 and have never had a problem with this antenna. I routinely work DX with 50 watts or less. Might I suggest that if you have problems, read the manual, read the instructions and most of all, don't ad lib to what is in the manual. Over tightening will strip a clamp, so why not just snug it as per the manual?
I have had two 5 Btv's and both were excellent, but remember, follow measuring instructions and use a good quality coax. Good Luck and 73!