Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 5BTV HF vertical
Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Reviews: 143 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $211.99
Description: Hustler 5BTV HF vertical antenna for 10,15,20,40 and 80 meters.

You can write your own review of the Hustler 5BTV HF vertical.

BOYSCLUBRADIO Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2016 10:27 Send this review to a friend
best for the bux  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using them for years. Newer ones are not made to the professional quality that newtronics did in TX. But, they still work. One respondent said that when the wind changed... One thing you want to use on the joints of the antenna is nolox.. or equiv... this then will make great contact and won't allow the joints to corrode causing that.
I use one at home and I have one that we take with us when we go camping or visiting... WA6CDE had a great article on how to adapt this antenna to mobile/RV/ field ops. I suggest that you read it here on EHAM. Look up the article by his call sign.
While others say it is a poor antenna. It is true that it won't out do a inverted V on the lower bands. However, in a shootout with other verticals over at the army test range at stanford, it did outperform the dipole on any band from 20,15,10 etc... So the proof of this antenna has been tested and lots of good data on the results.
Indeed it works greater with ground radials. That is how a vertical works...go figure.
W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2016 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great vertical. If you don't add radials performance will suffer. I buried 40 32' radials. My 5BTV is now a 8BTV with the 12, 17, and 30 meter add-ons. I run 500w with a Ameritron solid state amp, ARI-500 keyer, and a MFJ-998 auto tuner. I initially had a problem, like NP3M, when I first installed the antenna, with 10/15/20 resonating very low and having to use all of the adjustment in the traps with unacceptable results. I had followed DXE instructions to mount the base of the antenna 8" above ground level with the tilt base. On the advice of Neutronics Tech support I lowered the entire tilt and antenna base to only 2" above ground level and the resonance on 10/15/20 was raised well within the range where minor adjustments could be made to the factory settings. Antenna has no guy wires and is very stable in windy conditions. I've only laid it down a couple of times due to hurricane/high winds forecasted. The tilt base is worth it's weight in gold.
W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Oct 26, 2016 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Not Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a Hustler 5BTV several years ago & found that it was very unstable on all of the bands & when the wind blew it would cause the SWR to jump up when it was blowing.Very noisy also compared to my G5RV antenna.The G5RV also had a better signal both on receive & transmit on all 5 bands when compared head to head.I did not have any ground radials but thought it would have performed much better than it did without them.
VK2PG Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 01:20 Send this review to a friend
nice verticle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for just over 12 months and all I can say is it works very well.
It is ground mounted with 80 radials each 33 feet long. It took two days to complete the radial system but was well worth the effort.
I run 400w to the 5btv and generally work 95 percent of the dx I hear.
If you buy this antenna I can not stress enough
how important it is properly install a good radial system.
If you would like to see my setup please check me out on QRZ - VK2PG.
AB8BC Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 10:14 Send this review to a friend
well made, easy install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this in late August and installed by mid-October. I used the DX Engineering tilt mount and ground radial package for my install (40 total, 1/2 of them about 25-30' and the rest varies from 8' to 12'). Terrific antenna and very well laid out documentation from DX Engineering! I would highly recommend trenching your radials and not using the staple method. I used an edger to trench my radials. Quick, easy and efficient. Antenna tuned very closely to all bands I use with minor adjustment. Highly recommend if you are in a CCR area and have limited space. This antenna replaced an aging R7 and works wonderfully on all bands I need. 80 meter....not so well, but I don't expect much from it there. As a footnote, I'd suggest running at least 3 guy lines. Save yourself the worry of it bending in a sudden gust or heavy wind. 73
N3PM Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2015 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved my 5BTV recently from an elevated mount to a ground mount. 10,15 and 20 resonated lower than expected, regardless of the standard adjustments. 40 and 80 were tunable. I adjusted the trap covers to get them closer to what I wanted. Initially adjusted the trap covers with no radials, and had very little shift when 12 40 footers were laid.
The trap adjustments were presented by IW5EDI and a page on HamUniverse.
I also cammoed it with Krylon paints and oak leaf stencils. No retuning was required.
I did replace the hose clamps once.
My 5 watts and I are happy with this vertical.
K1SCE Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2015 06:55 Send this review to a friend
cannot get needed parts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would echo most of the reviews of the 5btv on this site. (Except for the reviews that claim the antenna does not need radials).
The 5btv seems to be a good comprise for people that have limited space or need a small antenna. Of course it doesn't work as well as a vertical dipole re: gap antennas.
The main problem is getting inexpensive parts. My 5btv needed trap sleeves (they filled with water, froze then split). Here is a quote from New-Tronics, "We do not sell just the sleeve it would have to be the complete 10 meter trap assembly for $40.00". A little expensive. I also needed two tubes for the spider assembly, the New-Tronics quote, "The 6 blade spider tubes are only sold in a package of (6) for $20.00". I purchased a three foot Alum tube from DX Engineering and replaced my broken tubes, cost $1.45.

DX-Engineering also will NOT supply just the trap sleeve.
Of course I was able to get the tubing for the spider assy from them.

The trap assemblies on these antennas are thin and can dent and freeze and split. Something to think about when purchasing this antenna.
thank for reading. 73
KD0ZK Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2015 02:42 Send this review to a friend
works on 17  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have a ground mounted BTV5 no Mods at all it works on 17 meters flat SWR feed it with 130 feet of RG8X have a 8 ft ground rod Horizontal on the ground ( SOME SAY ) i am only TX from Coax , others say it is Not Possible to have flat SWR on 17 oh well i have it and it works ,,,,,
ALL my normal 5 bands are FLAT SWR and i do at times pump my Ameritron AL 811 into the antenna
K4FY Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Competent design and good value.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Hustler 5BTV from DX engineering along with a tilt over base (a must). DXE provides a detailed installation manual that includes tuning the traps. The tilt over base makes this a relatively easy process.

The quality of Hustler and DXE materials are good to excellent. The tilt base is a massive hunk of stainless steel. I have owned a couple of verticals before this one (Moseley and Hy-Gain) and found the Hustler to be a little better quality. The design of trap verticals is similar.

My installation is a few inches above the ground. The antenna is grounded through an 8 foot copper ground rod with AWG 8 wire in Florida soil. 25, 24 foot radials are connected to the ground rod and buried in a fan configuration. SWR on all bands is satisfactory and tunes easily with my FT-990 and FTdx1200. 80 meters is, of course, quite narrow (plus/minus 50 KHz) but adequate for my needs.

Putting 800 watts into the antenna causes no strain. Verticals are adept at working DX due to their low angle radiation pattern. Iíve never had any antenna other than a trap vertical and OCFD at 40 feet. My DX confirmed total is 270.

Trap verticals can be installed a number of ways. Ground mounted with a good radial system (more the better) or elevated as a ground plane. A roof mounted vertical with two radials per band cut to half wave is a very effective performer.

I would pick the Hustler over the others as a good value for a competent antenna. DX Engineering is a top notch outfit.
W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Went back and extended and buried 36 of the radials to 32 feet as recommended by DXE and extended the other 4 radials out to 64 feet as recommended by Nutronics. Have also added the DXE 12 and 17 meter add-ons. Both tuned to 1.5 across the bands and work great with the Kenwood 590-S. Have been able to work numerous DX on both bands. Believe the radial system has improved my signal since I have no trouble working DX.