Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 5BTV HF vertical
Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Reviews: 131 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $211.99
Description: Hustler 5BTV HF vertical antenna for 10,15,20,40 and 80 meters.
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com

You can write your own review of the Hustler 5BTV HF vertical.

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had no problems with this antenna. It is constructed much better than my old Butternut. I was in fact impressed with how well it was constructed, especially after reading some of the reviews on Eham.

I followed the assembly directions and added some radials. I have not had to adjust it at all or use my antenna tuner. All bands less than 1.5:1 which surprised me, as I am using it 2 feet off the ground and use 2 ham sticks per band for radials.

It doesn't perform better than my 80M full wave loop, but then it has no gain, but I knew that prior to the purchase.

For a vertical it works fine, sometimes as well as my inverted Vee at 30 feet.

WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reading some of the negative reviews here, I must comment on one thing; how are you tightening the clamps and how are you mounting, with or without radials? I have mine ground mounted, no radials, added the two home brew wires for 12 & 17 and have never had a problem with this antenna. I routinely work DX with 50 watts or less. Might I suggest that if you have problems, read the manual, read the instructions and most of all, don't ad lib to what is in the manual. Over tightening will strip a clamp, so why not just snug it as per the manual?
I have had two 5 Btv's and both were excellent, but remember, follow measuring instructions and use a good quality coax. Good Luck and 73!

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried many antennas for hf only to return to this one. Mine is ground mounted without radials using a heavy patio umbrella stand. I do use a LDG YT-100 tuner and the Yaesu 857D. Contacts of 5000 miles is not uncommon.

W4KYR Rating: 0/5 Sep 9, 2014 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Poor Workmanship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Apparently there are two different types of 5BTV from Hustler. I have one from 2005 and another one from 2011. I am reviewing the one bought in 2011.

This one was bought in 2011.

1.All the hose Clamps stripped and broke except for one during assembly of the antenna. Had to go out and buy new quality clamps.

2. Never could achieve resonance on 15 and 20 meters, difficult if not impossible to align the other bands despite having numerous ground radials and new coax. 20 meters was resonant on 18 Mhz. I doubled checked this.

3. The screws are rusted on the assembly holding the spider radials.

4. The 80 meter coil has a cracked seam down the middle.

5. Instead of using rubber seals like they did on the older one, they used loose plastic sleeves which cracks very easily and offers no protection from rain.

6. When you disassemble the antenna, be careful of soaking yourself with all the water that comes out of it.

7. Rating for the one from 2011 ---- 0/5

Now, for the older one about 9 years old

Still standing and working perfectly. No problems with assembly. Uses rubber seals instead of loose plastic. Hose clamps worked fine the first time. All the bands work fine with no issues. Interestingly this one did NOT come with the spider radials. The 80 meter coil has no cracks or broken seams and very solid. Rated 5/5

I cannot recommend this antenna to anyone. While they made a great antenna 10 years ago, something happened that changed that.

Perhaps it could be blamed on a bad run of production that would account for the problems with resonance.

Except that would not account for the rusted screws for the spider assembly, cracked coil, busted hose clamps and inferior leaky plastic sleeves.

KN0JI Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Wow...impressive for a vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Summary:

After installing the Hustler 5-BTV and accompanying radials, I am thoroughly impressed by its performance. Although transmit on 80 meters didn't work as well as I had hoped, 80 meter reception was terrific, and I got my first 80 meter QSL contact with this antenna.

Details:

I attached a six-foot 1-5/16" chain-link fence post as a mast to one leg of my dead swamp cooler, which is firmly mounted on my rooftop. I then attached the carefuly assembled 5-BTV to this mast, so that the bottom of the antenna was 26 feet above ground level. I made a "feedpoint" out of an SO-239 bulkhead connector soldered to two short pieces of stranded 14 AWG THHN attached to eyelets, and attached the bulkhead to a 2" Schedule 40 PVC cap and 2" Schedule 40 slip sleeve for weather protection. I then painstakingly followed the advice of Steve Katz (http://www.eham.net/articles/20850) and made radials (two each for 10, 15, 40, and 80 meters, and four for 20 meters) according to my own calculations (as opposed to that of the mfr), out of stranded 14 AWG THHN and ceramic insulators. I then (wired and) glued my feedpoint to the bottom of the antenna, then connected my feedline of 75' RG-8X with dual PL-259 connectors.

Results:

Wow. Gone where no ham (in my house) has gone before. Many report ten-over-nine on 40 meters from a thousand miles away. (One QSO was over 3000 miles, between my house and Laie, Hawaii, reporting ten-over-nine.) I thought that kind of performance was only possible with beams. Thanks to Steve, et al, it's all in the radials.

KJ4GZI Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my 5BTV up for six months and it has worked as advertised. I have it installed in my back yard where I have a chain link fence around the yard and a large Oak Tree not far from the antenna. While not the optimum setup it has work well for me with 30 15 foot radials installed. I work mostly digital modes on 40 and 20 with a little Phone on 80 meters.

WB0OKA Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2014 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Lot of Antenna for the Buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Since I have limited space and budget to work with, I chose the Hustler 5BTV. The choice was obvious. I had just enough room within the confines of a closed in courtyard (15 foot brick walls surround it on all sides) at the college where I teach.

The cost was well within my budget. It is made with quality materials and takes relatively little time to construct. It held up well these last few months against the strong turbulent winds, ice, and snows that made its way into the courtyard. It is ground mounted on a fence post with no radials, and in spite of the low radiation signal pattern trying to jump the walls, I worked numerous US and DX contacts with it using just 100 watts.

The ONLY minor complaints I have are the narrow bandwidth and performance on 80 meters. Unless you buy an extra whip for 80 meters so you can operate either the upper or lower part of the band and willing to take it down each time you want to make the switch, you only have one choice of a "window" of bandwidth on 80 m to choose from. On that same band, it just does not receive or radiate all that well for me, but that is no surprise whatsoever given my portable location. Incidentally, the SWR on all other bands is more than acceptable.

And, here's a plug for DX Engineering. Delivery was fast, their optional accessories quite useful, and additional construction directions very informative.

Would I buy one again and would I recommend it to others? Dang right!

KC9KMZ Rating: 1/5 Dec 6, 2013 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality materials  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In less then one years time the threaded area where the hot wire from the coax is inserted rusted. Resulting in an antenna that did not work.

WU9F Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Amazing results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I obtained my 5BTV used in a trade. I installed it on a metal post 61/2' in the ground. I do NOT have any ground radials on my antenna. I have been amazed at how well it works. It tuned easily with a low swr on all bands. I have received great reports of strong signals all over the world. I only run 100 watts but cut through many pileups with those using mega watts. I would not hesitate buying another.

W9RDB Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 21:13 Send this review to a friend
great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna in March and assembled it with only 5 radials layed out on the snow. I worked several DX stations. I now have 50 radials, and I couldn't be happier with the results. The antenna is rs resonant on all bands and a tuner is not needed. I have a FT-950, and with my 5btv I have worked around the world. Even worked Australia from Madison WI. on 100 watts. Takes a little work to install, but worth it. Great for the price.