Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 5BTV HF vertical
Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $211.99
Description: Hustler 5BTV HF vertical antenna for 10,15,20,40 and 80 meters.
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com

You can write your own review of the Hustler 5BTV HF vertical.

KJ4GZI Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my 5BTV up for six months and it has worked as advertised. I have it installed in my back yard where I have a chain link fence around the yard and a large Oak Tree not far from the antenna. While not the optimum setup it has work well for me with 30 15 foot radials installed. I work mostly digital modes on 40 and 20 with a little Phone on 80 meters.

WB0OKA Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2014 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Lot of Antenna for the Buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Since I have limited space and budget to work with, I chose the Hustler 5BTV. The choice was obvious. I had just enough room within the confines of a closed in courtyard (15 foot brick walls surround it on all sides) at the college where I teach.

The cost was well within my budget. It is made with quality materials and takes relatively little time to construct. It held up well these last few months against the strong turbulent winds, ice, and snows that made its way into the courtyard. It is ground mounted on a fence post with no radials, and in spite of the low radiation signal pattern trying to jump the walls, I worked numerous US and DX contacts with it using just 100 watts.

The ONLY minor complaints I have are the narrow bandwidth and performance on 80 meters. Unless you buy an extra whip for 80 meters so you can operate either the upper or lower part of the band and willing to take it down each time you want to make the switch, you only have one choice of a "window" of bandwidth on 80 m to choose from. On that same band, it just does not receive or radiate all that well for me, but that is no surprise whatsoever given my portable location. Incidentally, the SWR on all other bands is more than acceptable.

And, here's a plug for DX Engineering. Delivery was fast, their optional accessories quite useful, and additional construction directions very informative.

Would I buy one again and would I recommend it to others? Dang right!

KC9KMZ Rating: 1/5 Dec 6, 2013 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality materials  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In less then one years time the threaded area where the hot wire from the coax is inserted rusted. Resulting in an antenna that did not work.

WU9F Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Amazing results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I obtained my 5BTV used in a trade. I installed it on a metal post 61/2' in the ground. I do NOT have any ground radials on my antenna. I have been amazed at how well it works. It tuned easily with a low swr on all bands. I have received great reports of strong signals all over the world. I only run 100 watts but cut through many pileups with those using mega watts. I would not hesitate buying another.

W9RDB Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 21:13 Send this review to a friend
great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna in March and assembled it with only 5 radials layed out on the snow. I worked several DX stations. I now have 50 radials, and I couldn't be happier with the results. The antenna is rs resonant on all bands and a tuner is not needed. I have a FT-950, and with my 5btv I have worked around the world. Even worked Australia from Madison WI. on 100 watts. Takes a little work to install, but worth it. Great for the price.

K6EGE Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 04:25 Send this review to a friend
6BTV HF Vertical  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this antenna about a year now and couldn't be happier with it.This is my first experience with a vertical,yes its a bit nosier on receive ,but not that much.If this antenna is installed in accordance with DX Eng.instruction its gonna be a sure winner.Radials are the key to its success when ground mounting it.The more radials the better.I'm a CW op and have it set for the lower part of the band however the swr is acceptable in the phone part.Don't expect to much from 80 meters the band width is very narrow.To make quick work on setting this up I would highly recommend a analyzer.This antenna is hard to beat when it comes to price verses performance.

K8JHD Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2012 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Very good for Dx !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the 6btv with the following Dxengineering parts, 17meter kit, radials plate, tilt base.. I buried 60 twenty five foot radials... Love it

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2012 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Another SUPER VERTICAL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm antenna restricted and I use the 4BTV along the creek.
I never use radials because I have excellent soil conductivity.
I spent a full day tuning it and have just about zero SWR on all 4 bands.
I just wish I can get a higher spot to mount it.
It is a bit rough to use portable but I break it down into two sections and just leave it in the station wagon.
I have worked into Netherlands,and as far as Germany with 4 watts showing on the HB1A rig with AA batteries.
I'm in the lowest spot and still received a 559 report.
A bit of a pain for portable work but if I am going to stay out most of the day then i'll use it.
I paid $90.00 shipped and that vertical really does a super job.
BOB
AF2Q

KM0U Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2012 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 5-BTV second hand a few years back from a local ham who used the antenna at his cabin. The 75/80 meter trap wasn't working so I installed the antenna as a 4-BTV and was very pleased with the antenna's functionality - worked great. This year I bought a 75m mobile resonator from a local ham store (Radio City), tuned the whip for 80m, I also added two quarter wave wires for 12 and 17 so I now have a "7-BTV". See Ham Universe for the BTV mods for adding 12 and 17, it's cheap, easy, and best of all works great.
In conclusion, with a modest radial field of 28 25 foot radials, a simple modification to add two frequencies, I have a 7-bander that works. It is great as a primary or back-up antenna. A great value used or new.

N1UMJ Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2012 09:12 Send this review to a friend
it works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My g5RV was in trees that got destroyed in tropical storm Irene September 2011, someone came up with the 5btv for me since my landlord was fed up and goign to remove the trees completely. I moved shortly after never having put up the antenna but where I moved to is a trailer and we don't have any trees on the lot i'm in, no real way to run a wire so, I put up the verticle. Now, I put it about 6 feet from my trailer because if it ever went down,I didn't want it in the neighbor's yards, not by much anyway, and the shed is probably 12 feet from it and also metal like the siding on my house. Some told me that was too close it would never work but it does, I tried it first with no radials, I didn't want to go to the trouble of laying radials only to be told to take it down but quickly learned that was not going to work. I could not get the SWR where it should be on 40 and 75 or even close but once I laid radials it fell right in, using the previous owner's markings I think I only had to move one trap about 1/8 of an inch and there was no clamp on it when I got it so it may have shifted in shipping. As many have stated 75 meters is very tight so I may try a 1/4 wave dipole over the roof for 75 but really, looking at reviews and talking to someone I know running one, it works as expected. It's ground mounted so if I want to talk with the local groups on 10 meters, that's probably out but with a 102 inch whip on the side of the house, I have that option and the hustler really does what I want on the bands it's meant to. It's not going to work miricles and i'm still adding radials as I go, I don't recommend anyone try without that was a real waste but only a few radials make a huge difference and at this point my yard has high traffic but in the fall I'm going to lay a bunch more radials and let them work their way in the ground over the winter. If it will get much better than it is or not I really can't say yet but I expect it to get a little better, I'm not complaining now, it does what I want and expect from it. I miss my cobra ultralite 75 feet up in the trees I had at a former QTH and this can't compare but with a band opening, I'm abel to make the contacts and on most of the NTS nets I check in to regularly, other than the 75 meter ones it does a good job.