Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 5BTV HF vertical
Hustler 5BTV HF vertical Reviews: 131 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $211.99
Description: Hustler 5BTV HF vertical antenna for 10,15,20,40 and 80 meters.
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com

You can write your own review of the Hustler 5BTV HF vertical.

K6EGE Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 04:25 Send this review to a friend
6BTV HF Vertical  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this antenna about a year now and couldn't be happier with it.This is my first experience with a vertical,yes its a bit nosier on receive ,but not that much.If this antenna is installed in accordance with DX Eng.instruction its gonna be a sure winner.Radials are the key to its success when ground mounting it.The more radials the better.I'm a CW op and have it set for the lower part of the band however the swr is acceptable in the phone part.Don't expect to much from 80 meters the band width is very narrow.To make quick work on setting this up I would highly recommend a analyzer.This antenna is hard to beat when it comes to price verses performance.

K8JHD Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2012 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Very good for Dx !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the 6btv with the following Dxengineering parts, 17meter kit, radials plate, tilt base.. I buried 60 twenty five foot radials... Love it

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2012 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Another SUPER VERTICAL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm antenna restricted and I use the 4BTV along the creek.
I never use radials because I have excellent soil conductivity.
I spent a full day tuning it and have just about zero SWR on all 4 bands.
I just wish I can get a higher spot to mount it.
It is a bit rough to use portable but I break it down into two sections and just leave it in the station wagon.
I have worked into Netherlands,and as far as Germany with 4 watts showing on the HB1A rig with AA batteries.
I'm in the lowest spot and still received a 559 report.
A bit of a pain for portable work but if I am going to stay out most of the day then i'll use it.
I paid $90.00 shipped and that vertical really does a super job.
BOB
AF2Q

KM0U Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2012 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 5-BTV second hand a few years back from a local ham who used the antenna at his cabin. The 75/80 meter trap wasn't working so I installed the antenna as a 4-BTV and was very pleased with the antenna's functionality - worked great. This year I bought a 75m mobile resonator from a local ham store (Radio City), tuned the whip for 80m, I also added two quarter wave wires for 12 and 17 so I now have a "7-BTV". See Ham Universe for the BTV mods for adding 12 and 17, it's cheap, easy, and best of all works great.
In conclusion, with a modest radial field of 28 25 foot radials, a simple modification to add two frequencies, I have a 7-bander that works. It is great as a primary or back-up antenna. A great value used or new.

N1UMJ Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2012 09:12 Send this review to a friend
it works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My g5RV was in trees that got destroyed in tropical storm Irene September 2011, someone came up with the 5btv for me since my landlord was fed up and goign to remove the trees completely. I moved shortly after never having put up the antenna but where I moved to is a trailer and we don't have any trees on the lot i'm in, no real way to run a wire so, I put up the verticle. Now, I put it about 6 feet from my trailer because if it ever went down,I didn't want it in the neighbor's yards, not by much anyway, and the shed is probably 12 feet from it and also metal like the siding on my house. Some told me that was too close it would never work but it does, I tried it first with no radials, I didn't want to go to the trouble of laying radials only to be told to take it down but quickly learned that was not going to work. I could not get the SWR where it should be on 40 and 75 or even close but once I laid radials it fell right in, using the previous owner's markings I think I only had to move one trap about 1/8 of an inch and there was no clamp on it when I got it so it may have shifted in shipping. As many have stated 75 meters is very tight so I may try a 1/4 wave dipole over the roof for 75 but really, looking at reviews and talking to someone I know running one, it works as expected. It's ground mounted so if I want to talk with the local groups on 10 meters, that's probably out but with a 102 inch whip on the side of the house, I have that option and the hustler really does what I want on the bands it's meant to. It's not going to work miricles and i'm still adding radials as I go, I don't recommend anyone try without that was a real waste but only a few radials make a huge difference and at this point my yard has high traffic but in the fall I'm going to lay a bunch more radials and let them work their way in the ground over the winter. If it will get much better than it is or not I really can't say yet but I expect it to get a little better, I'm not complaining now, it does what I want and expect from it. I miss my cobra ultralite 75 feet up in the trees I had at a former QTH and this can't compare but with a band opening, I'm abel to make the contacts and on most of the NTS nets I check in to regularly, other than the 75 meter ones it does a good job.

KC7YE Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 09:57 Send this review to a friend
works as expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Live in condo, no antennas allowed. I like to work QSO parties and contests have found a couple of places to operate from, rent beach cabin on salt water. Have tried several lash ups but went back to 5BTV as can deploy by my self. This is third one of these I have had in last 40 years. The DX Engineering instruction booklet make a lot more sense then original, tune up is a snap. Less then half hour to take off roof rack to on the air. Have used in IA QSO party and CW SS. XYL likes the beach weekends too.

K7ZGQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Works like a good vertical should  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was left a little wanting on 80M and spent alot of time doing a little research on a way to enhance the efficiency a little without killing any of the other bands. Heres my trick. Take a MFJ 40M whip(Hamstick) it has a 2 piece screw together design. add in a 2 leg capacity hat each 48 inches long between the coil and whip on the hamstick. my reports went from S8-S9 to 10 over and 20 over respectively on 80M. Im happy all the other bands work the same and my efficiency on 80m is now at a sweet spot. coupled with 30 ish radials 30 feet or so. make decent contacts all day and all night. talk 800 miles easy with my 100 watts on 80M. Good Nuff for me. check out my QRZ for a picture of good ol frankentenna!!

K4JC Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 17:41 Send this review to a friend
There's a reason it's a classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Hustler BTV series antenna has been around for decades, and the reason why is...it works! Yes, you should add radials (or something resembling a counterpoise) but if all you can do is string a couple of random wires on the ground the 5BTV will still perform well. Construction is simple and straightforward, and if you have an antenna analyzer the tuning is very easy.

Several years ago I used a 5BTV ground mounted with no radials and managed to achieve WAS on both 40 and 75 meters (yes the WAS nets helped a lot :-) These days I use a 6BTV mounted to the backyard fence as a counterpoise (see my 6BTV review for more details) but I still have a 5BTV for emergency and Field Day use. On Field Day I plant a 10 foot piece of mast in the Indian River and attach the antenna to it. Salt water makes such a great ground plane! I have also built a few 4 and 5BTVs from parts scrounged at hamfests and scrap yards and given them to new hams. For stealth the capacitance radials can be removed (with no ill effects) and the antenna placed inside PVC pipe disguised as a flagpole. No, it's not a beam on a tower or even a full size dipole, but when built and mounted properly (and even sometimes improperly) this is an antenna that will get you on the air quickly and, with a little patience and finesse, maybe even put a DXCC certificate on your wall!

KF5MC Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2011 13:55 Send this review to a friend
it works!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Suggest you replace the 80 meter element with a ham stick. Amazing result

VE1VOX Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Proof!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would give an update on my Hustler Vertical. I installed it August 2008 and decided to check my log to see what I have worked since then. I'm not retired so I'm not on the radio everyday and work some 100km from my home. Enough about that. To date I have worked 802 qso's with 183 countries. 29 countries on 80, 117 on 40, 139 on 20, 57 on 15, and 59 on 17 metres I haven't done anything on 10m due to the poor band conditions. I mainly chase DX and already had DXCC achieved on all but 17m before I started so these are mostly more rare contacts and many all time new ones for me, such as ZL8X most recently. The BTV 5 doesn't come out of the box ready for 17m so I added the DX Engineering add on kit. Another great product! The antenna is ground mounted and guyed with 24+ radials. And is located only 6 feet from a dense ornamental Blue Spruce so it is not in an optimum location. SWR ranges 1.5 to 1.8 depending on the band. I would have to say I am extremely pleased with this antenna it is ruggedly built and works very well. I would most certainly recommend it if you are in the market for a quality vertical antenna.