Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | SWISSLOG Help

Reviews Summary for SWISSLOG
SWISSLOG Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $Public Domain
Description: LOG RADIOAMATEUR
More info: http://www.swisslogforwindows.com

You can write your own review of the SWISSLOG.

LX1AX Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2014 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dear all,

I'm using Swisslog since I use a Computer for logging my QSO's. That means since 1995 it was at that time the DOS version.
Later I had the Windows Version and the last Version I have used was Version 5.8.
On the 25 december EA3GCV op. Jordi released the new Version 5.9.
I have updated without any problems and I really like the new Version.

Thank you very much to HB9BJS Walter, EA3GCV Jordy and all the team which are keeping alive this nice logging program.

DV1UBY Rating: 0/5 Jan 27, 2010 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Don't use it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this SwissLog few days back by downloading this on their website. Today all my recorded CW QSO's are gone and I don't know why. I also found out that this buggy program uses MS Access DB which is known to the DB designers as the most insecure DB! For me,don't waste your time using SwissLog, UR5EQF is better.

K6ZSS Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2006 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent logging package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I originally owned the DOS version of Swisslog, but was an early convert to DX4WIN. After many years of frustrations with DX4WIN, I decided to relook at Swisslog. In April I purchased the upgrade to Swisslog ver 5 and have not looked back since. Swisslog is a very comprehensive logging package. It takes a little learning (like any programme) but once mastered is easy to use. I particularly like the DXCC reporting and integration with LOTW.

I run the programme in conjunction with TRX-Manager to control my transceivers. TRX-Manager inter-works nicely with Swisslog.

G0CGL Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2004 06:55 Send this review to a friend
The most complete logger available  Time owned: more than 12 months
Swisslog has been my logging program of choice since 1989. I have looked at all the other main ones as they have been released or updated but for me none have come close to Swisslog.

Contrary to another opinion on here, I have never found problems with any official full release. As new features are added, beta versions become available for testing by those users who choose to do so on the understanding that there might be unexpected results to be reported back to the author. Fixes are nearly instant.

The reported complexity is something you can either embrace or put to one side: it does the basics of logging, statistical display, cluster interfacing, etc without having to delve into the program - and it can produce reports about any aspect of your data by easy choice of pre-configured report (like DXCC application) or the user can look up the excellent 'help' files on how to write their own reports, group QSOs by various criteria and so on.

There will always be people who cannot see what is in front of them and report a narrow-minded view but I would encourage those who want to get the most from their treasured record of contacts and time on the air to at least look at the demo of Swisslog.

ON6AB Rating: 4/5 Nov 5, 2003 13:41 Send this review to a friend
A difficult one  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ah, Swisslog...
I have it registered for almost a year now and I must admit I have some love - hate relationship with the programm.
On top of that it seems to become common practice in these reviews to praise everything into heaven with a "5" and loose every sence of criticism or else damn it with a 0 or a 1 rating.
Swisslog is good but difficult. It was quite buggy a year ago, but it improved.
The author is constantly doing his best to keep everybody happy with replies and fixes.
It can do almost EVERYTHING but some views/reports are very complicated to archieve and remember, and a good bunch of SQL knowledge is a big help.
In the beginning I was constantly reporting bugs on the forum, but I got tired of it and changed to VQlog.Every now and then I load a new version and I must say it is quite bugfree today and I slowly become able to live with it.
Some functions are not too obvious but if you want a logging program that can do it all, and I mean ALL, SWISSLOG comes the closest to it. Much closer than prolog, dx4win or any other big name.Their possibilities are so limited compared to SWISSLOG.
So, buy it, but THINK twice before you do. You will spend a lot of time learning and re-learning the right procedures.

W7YES Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2003 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Version 4.2 - Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I noticed there wasn’t a review of Swisslog from a user in the U.S., so I thought I’d take a shot at it since I’ve been using it for just over a year now. If you want my bottom line reaction, here it is… In my opinion Swisslog is the best logging program I’ve ever used. If the rating scale topped out at 10, I’d give it a 9.8 because it’s really extraordinary… not perfect, but very, very close. To put that in perspective, I have to say I’ve tried a bunch of other loggers. I think I’ve tried most of the demo’s that are available on the Internet and in rare cases I even went so far as to buy a couple programs that looked like they had potential. In most cases, it was very disappointing and a waste of time.

It’s very tempting to make the analogy between Swisslog and the proverbial Swiss Army knife -- the reason is that Swisslog is packed with all the bells and whistles – think of it as a single tool that combines all the computer functions normally associated with ham radio.

Swisslog, called SWL for short, handles all the basic logging tasks we expect and provides the user with a very clean graphical interface. Well organized displays combined with a very logical data input make the program mostly intuitive. After a couple of sessions of casual use, data entry and the basic functions become obvious. However, to get really comfortable with the more advanced functions in SWL, be prepared to spend some time in the learning mode – Note: If you want to get the most out of SWL, it helps to have a bit of experience with databases and understand some of the more tedious details in Windows computers.

My typical computer screen is comprised of four windows: the QSO edit window where all of the data entry takes place, another window called the Statistic Overview that displays detailed information about a particular call sign (which is either currently displayed in the QSO edit window and/or from the DX messages window), the DX message window displays DX cluster information from the Internet and/or from Packet clusters, and another window is a minimized display of my log showing my last 10 contacts.

With just the four windows listed above, I have all I need for casual DX chasing. Unless I’m actively working the radio, my focus might be on the DX message window – I check once in a while to see if anything’s spotted and highlighted with the color I’ve selected for “needed” DX entities. For instance, if a VP8 station that I need is spotted in the DX message window, the DXCC box will be highlighted in bright yellow, instead of green for “confirmed” or blue for “worked”. When a needed DX appears, I simply click on the listing in the DX message window and select one of the options. Generally, I select “Tune Transmitter” which sets the radio frequency and mode. Other options allow tuning the TX and/or rotating the antenna for either SP or LP. If I can hear the station, I click on the option “Log QSO” – as you’d expect, this enters the other station’s call sign in the QSO edit window. At this point, SWL will automatically display a list of your previous contacts with the station and other general details for the station based on the prefix, such as the antenna direction and the distance. TX frequency, mode, date and time are also entered automatically as are default signal reports and the QSL action you’ve specified. And if you’re connected to the Internet, SWL will also enter details specific for the call sign, such as the operator’s name and QTH. If you want to see the signal path, click on the map icon and a world map is displayed in another window. The map function is very handy and complex enough to require its own review – in any case it provides more information than most people will ever need. (Some of the functions mentioned above require your radio to be connected with your computer using a CAT interface).

While the operating example above relies on a system using a radio with a CAT interface, SWL handles manual entry just as well. When you spot a DX station on the cluster or by finding it on the radio, you just type in the call sign and the same data mentioned above is displayed.

Beyond the basic logging functions is where SWL really distances itself from other programs. SWL can be linked to packet programs such as WinPR, WinPacket, SV2AGW, and DX-Telnet. If you operate using digital modes, SWL can interface directly with several external programs like MixW, HamScope, and TrueTTY. I’ve only tried using MixW and HamScope and with these, the log data was automatically transferred and logged into SWL. Let’s face it, those of us that are typing deficient need all the help we can get -- the less data I have to type, the more accurate my log will be.

There’s way too much in SWL to cover in this review -- there’s also propagation prediction and rotor control -- however, there’s one last area that I have to mention. Possibly the most remarkable feature of SWL is its ability to format your log data into so many different forms. (This aspect is also the area that makes the program complex.)

Once you’ve entered (or imported) a bunch of QSO’s into a log, you can use that data to create a myriad of statistical reports and tables that show things like your DXCC’s counts, grid squares worked, or outstanding QSL’s. You might be thinking… “What do I need that for?” Well, once you’ve entered all the data in your log you might as well use it! Your log data is the basis for several very useful reports like preparing your DXCC award forms, or creating a list of QSL’s to send, or creating QSL labels to print (which you can format any way you want). That’s only a few of possible reports I’ve actually used; I’m sure there’s much more in the program that I haven’t discovered yet. Like I mentioned before, a bit of computer and database experience is very helpful when you start working with the reports and table functions. A little patience is good too… hihi. Even with all its complexity, there are sample forms and reports to work from, and other users contribute the forms they’ve created and are using – so you’re not totally alone.

As with any program, the best way to evaluate it is “hands-on” and fortunately the author of SWL provides a free demo version that you can download from his website.

Many thanks to HB9BJS, Walter, the author of SWISSLOG – for creating SWL and his continued dedication and support to make it better with each release.

73 de W7YES, Richard

The correct website for Swisslog is: http://www.informatix.li

SP5UAF Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2003 17:23 Send this review to a friend
First tests  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Of course each log makes it possible to log contacts but what is very important is what you can do with the logged information. SwissLog is the best at this point I think.
If you are familiar with data bases and especially with MS Access you will love SwissLog. I was trying many logs - SwissLog has the greates number of features a data base should have so after many tests with the shareware copy I registered.
Perhaps SwissLog can be a little difficult for people without computer background but if you know how data bases work and if you know some SQL - you will be able to generate almost each report you need.
Help system is very complete, with many screenshots so learning all the features is quite easy.
Wonderful job, in my opinion.

EA3BAV Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2003 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Present and History  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello, explanation wanted to help with this to present this
wonderful program that at the moment this becoming one of the programs
of radio with but benefits of the market:

Comence to use it in Version DOS and was at its very complete moment
in which there is management of qso guard books map of the world OWN
connection of packet to cluster, etc.ya intuia in possibilities of
estadisticas generation of listings etc, outside the normal thing. At
the moment our friend Walter Baur HB9BJS this giving is the WINDOWS
version a great amount of options in all his aspects, one that
esperabamos all was the connection Internet with the own SWISLOG
program, also is possible to stand out that multilingue is a program,
I create personally that he is very pleasant to be able to enjoy a
program in the language which but you dominate, is evident that in
market the USA very is not known but if all the users we commented
some of its qualities that are many soon sera but that known.

To lower completes version demo of Swisslog, is totally operative, I
assure to you that you will visit but times the Web of Swisslog.
www.informatix.li

73 Emilio/EA3BAV

HB9DHG Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2003 07:15 Send this review to a friend
A new version 4.x  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello all,

after some months I will write again about Swisslog. HB9BJS Walter made a new Version (now release 4.04). It works great with fast PC and is very powerful. All the functions on all old release are presents. New functions for great DXers are e.g. the DXCluster facilities with great enhecements, reports, statistics and more.
As said the only problem is that with this new version require very fast PC (I say more than 1GHZ CPU), but if you have.. then you must try the new Release. If a registered 3.x user need a new version must pay a upgrade for Euro 15.00. It was better to maintain the registration. Finally I can say that with this new release the program offer more stability on new PC .. but for the future I hope HB9BJS made more changes on code to make this more fast to load .. and also a look change (why not a XP like style icons ??)

In any case the support for this program is SUPER!with a discussion forum and Tips. Documentation is very complete and in more languages.Is rare to find program supported every days with news and correction.

Thanks HB9BJS Walter

Visit the official site at:

PS: if you look at my homepage, the log and all related links are made with Swisslog.mdb file and Coldfusion server. So, need only to make DX and put the swisslog file to the WEB!

HB9DHG Fulvio