Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Dentron MT-2000A Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron MT-2000A
Dentron MT-2000A Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $199.50 (1979)
Description: 3KW Antenna Tuner

You can write your own review of the Dentron MT-2000A.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2013 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Find it, get it, enjoy!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned a few antenna tuners. Mostly MFJ's and I have had several of those as I have had to replace them after a short while. I have owned higher end tuners from other manufacturers but found them to be somewhat overpriced and decided to cash out even though they were pretty good.

So I decided to look into a quality inexpensive tuner and so I did some research on the best rated tuners here on eHam.net.

The Dentron stood out as a highly rated tuner and what I really liked about it was that it was made just down the road from me. I know they are no longer in business and that is a shame as this tuner is by far much better than any MFJ tuner I have ever owned and equal to many of the higher priced tuners available. If all their other equipment is built like this then I want everything they make!

I found mine on E-bay and so in a few short days it was in my shack.

I took it apart and checked the inside. Very high quality parts are what makes this one of the best deals in tuners. I love the hard click of the inductance selector. No roller contacts here. Just a loud click from the switch and you know you've hit the next spot on the inductor coil.

The exterior had a few minor scratches so I repainted the exterior. Looks brand new now. No meters but that is OK as I prefer a large meter over the tiny ones like on the Dentron 3000.

This thing is built like a tank. Typical American high quality. It is almost like this thing was built in the 40's or 50's. Everything just says American and proud of it.

Has coax input and output plus a long wire and ladder line connections.

If you need an inexpensive quality tuner, this is one you should get, if you can find one. It is as good or better than some of the higher end tuners I have owned.

I will never sell mine as long as I live. OK, never say never. If you offer $1000, I might sell.

KF5SPZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 18:35 Send this review to a friend
My favorite tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely superior piece of equipment. Here's a helpfull hint = (loud inductance selector switch means its making SOLID connection). If you want quiet, buy a new MFJ every year (or less)!! Also terrific protection against home invasions; (you can clobber attackers with it)....

K6RQR Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2010 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent robust tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am in a space restrictive QTH and the most I could do was put up an 88 foot doublet that is only 32 feet high at the feedpoint and less than 10 feet at the ends. The doublet is surrounded by trees and nearby buildings. It is not very far above my 2nd story roof. With all of this compromise the MT-2000A does a great job of tuning the antenna. So far, I have tried it on all of 75 meters, 60 meters and 40 meters. After tuning for maximum noise on each band it is easy to adjust for the lowest SWR with the antenna and transmitter matching capacitors. I like seeing the interplay between the two large capacitors in the tuning process and I have always been able to get the SWR down to 1.2 to 1 or less.
The tuner is very well built and has a bail underneath to raise up the front panel for easier viewing. It also has a bypass switch and a lightning protection switch. Just add a good SWR/Power meter and you have an excellent combo for tuning 160-10 meters up to the legal limit. Yes, the tapped inductor does make a significant noise when you select the various positions. However, the tuner is a pleasure to use and very effective. There is a reason why it has a 4.9 cumulative average. Recommended!

N0LEF Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2009 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple tuner that is very robust. Tunes anything.
Only drawback, if you could call it that, is the really loud clacking from the inductance selector switch. Lot of noise for 5AM tuning. Otherwise, perfect.
Stu

KO0T Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2009 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Built like a battleship  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As with all of the Dentron tuners, this unit is a very rugged unit that will take almost anything that you can give it. It is built with very heavy duty components, including a massive inductor that runs lukewarm even at the legal limit on the low frequencies. Some others I've used would heat a cup of coffee! Some people object to the switched inductor, but I prefer that to the roller inductor. There are a lot of switch positions and it's much easier and quicker to make band changes than adjusting a roller inductor. Many rollers are prone to frequent maintenance problems also. This unit doesn't have any meters, but I consider that a plus because I already have plenty of metering. Also, the meters and meter switches that Dentron used on their other tuners seem to be much less robust than the rest of the tuner. You simply can't go wrong with this tuner for 10-160 meter operation.

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2007 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Really good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this at a ham fest for 135 bucks. It has never failed to tune any antenna I connected to it. It also handles my Heathkit SB-221 amp easily. It doesn't have a meter, but I prefer a larger, separate meter anyway. You can't go wrong with this tuner. It is well built and nice looking too.

K9VSK Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2007 16:05 Send this review to a friend
ONE OF THE BEST!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is one of the best tuners made! Have used it barefoot and with amplifier - it has matched anything connect to it! Currently using it with a sloper with flat results!

K7PWR Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2007 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Bullet Proof! :)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna tuner is the best!! I have had many tuners in the past, and this thing will not blow up, or smoke, ...or let me down. Currently it is used to tune 3 antenna's at the same time...and the match is a perfect 1:1.. I run it hard with a Dentron MLA-1200 on psk31 etc.. and not one problem. Its built like a tank, ... does the job perfectly. Its not cheap junk like the last mfj-962 i owned,...Smoked it the first time we tuned...hihih!

K5WK Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Too BAD !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its too bad this unit is still not available new!

I bought mine 35 years ago, and it works as well today as it did then. It tunes everything I have ever put on it, and that includes random wires on 80 and 160.

There are very few pieces of equipment I have ever bought that I did not have some kind of negative hit on sooner or later - but this is the exception.

NL7FK Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2006 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Hooked on the 2000A  Time owned: more than 12 months
It not pretty and does not have those mamby-pamby meters that arent accurate anyway. There are no lights or gizmos.

What it does do far exceeds the majority of the antenna tuners on the market today. This baby will tune anything and I mean anything from 160 thru 10 meters with ease. It will handle QRP as well as QRO with no problems. Actually can handle 3KW PEP.

The way I test tuners is I string up a random piece of wire and tune it for 160 meters. Then I put 1500 watts through the wire. The 2000A handles this task with ease when other tuners arch, spit, and hiss if they do not blow up first.

The tuner is easy to use. Hook up your antenna and connect to your transmitter. Adjust inductance for loudest noise and then tune for a perfect match while watching your outboard meter.

These tuners are getting harder to find because those who use them keep them. If you can find one expect to pay up to $200.00. This may sound high but compared to other tuners on the market you are getting a deal.

By the way this one will be for sale when I die....