Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Am-Com Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller Help

Reviews Summary for Am-Com Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller
Am-Com Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $210.00
Description: An Automatic Controller for Screwdriver Antennas
More info: http://www.amcominc.com

You can write your own review of the Am-Com Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller.

AE6A Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2003 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Good unit but not for all tranceivers  Time owned: months
Buyers be aware that the AmCom controller does not as adverticed work with any tranceiver with at least 10 Watts of power.
It is not compatable with the TenTec Pegasus.

N7PTM Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2003 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Essential for mobile HF!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The unit is essential for mobile HFing with a screwdriver-type antenna. I wouldn't be surprised to read somewhere that sales of screwdriver antennas has increased following the launch of this product.

I do agree with one poster though; the unit's 4-pin power connector needs to be changed. Too much vibration and it will fall out.

N7NHS Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2003 10:33 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this with my Icom 706MKIIG and the ATAS 100 antenna. I received the unit in the mail from AM-COM and did the usual 2 minute installation. Directions.... who reads the stinking directions. It would work but seemed to have problems. After talking to Carlos the problem was my entire fault. I did not check my grounding. After going around my truck and adding a couple of simple grounding straps and a couple minutes of time WOW what a difference. This thing really works......and fast to. Tell you I really enjoy driving down the road and jumping from band to band and pushing the button and you are ready to play. Thanks Am-Com

N6RDE Rating: 0/5 Dec 25, 2002 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Did not work with TS2000  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read the ad, that the ASAC 100 will work with the ATAS 100 and any radio. Well I have the Kenwood TS 2000, a new unit received a few days before ordering the asac via next day air. When I got the antenna, I immediately put it on my mobile mount and it tuned by itself, then it burned my antenna out despite comments that it could not send enough voltage to my antenna. Well after many test and sending the unit back I was advised that the board had a small fracture and turns out that the boards used had defects int them.

They sent a new unit and I purchased a new ATAS 100 thinking all would work. I could tune the antenna "manually" I verfied the up/down voltage at the ASAC, however I could not use the auto function. The TS2000 has a built in antenna tuner, however the Kenwood cable sent with the ASAC plugs in to the external tuner jack on the TS2000. It just did not work. I was sent a replacement "blue" cable, and still the same problem. I have a TS 2000 as my base and I tried that in place of the TS B2000, same issue.

I am so frusrated with the product. I know they have told me that the ASAC has been used with the TS 50 and other kenwoods, but they never tested or knew anyone who used it with the TS2000. Please Please make sure you check compatibility and verify with them that other have sucessfully used the asac with a given radio. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used it the with TS 2000. I did call tech support for Kenwood and verified operation of the tuner.

Greg n6rde@arrl.net

KC7MM Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2002 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Great product and Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these units when I ordered a Tarheel screwdriver antenna. During installation I discovered that the antenna SO-239 hadn't been tightened sufficeintly, and the solder joint connecting it to an internal PC board snapped when I tried to connect it to the coax. I called Linda at AmCom and told her I would passing through Lakeside, MT, the following week. She promptly suggested bringing the unit with me and exchanging it for a new one.
Once I got there, Carlos and Russ gave me outstanding support. First they gave me the newer model controller. Then once I installed it in my truck (using some of their tools!) Russ checked it out for me. We were able to find a SWR of 1.2 or less on each of the bands between 10 and 75 meters. That night I was able to make my first mobile QSO's from Montana. I even had a KH6 station call me.

This is a great product and is supported fully by the people at Am-Com. I fully endorse it.

Dale KC7MM

K7RTM Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2002 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up the ASAC-100 direct from Am-Com. Tech support was very frendly and helpful with my pre-order questions. Using this with an IC706MKIIG and a Yaesu ATAS-100 - works as advertised - one touch tuning. Love it.

Thanks Am-Com

K5SWA Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2002 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the AM COM auto controller this June at Dallas Ham Comm. I installed it recently and have used it now for several days with my IC 706MKIIG and my Yaesu ATAS-100 antenna. The controller has worked flawlessly. Just follow the directions after intallation. One push of the IC 706 tune button and the ATAS-100 is driven by the contoller to the SWR it memorized during the set up for the band. Works Great.....! K5SWA

KG5EB Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2002 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to a 706  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is not an antenna tuner but interfaces with a screwdriver type antenna, a High Sierra HS-1800DX in my case, to raise/lower the antenna for the best SWR. It fully integrates with an ICOM706 and by pressing the TUNE button the antenna SWR is matched to the transmit frequency (does not work with 2 meter and 440). It operates in automatic mode or manual mode and arrives with a manual control box as well as the controller main unit through which your coax connection to your antenna will pass (2 SO239s). The controller box also requires a 13.8v power feed, a Cat-5 connector for the manual control box and a Cat-5 connector for the interface cable to ICOM706. And lastly the power feed to the antenna. When using the ICOM706 the unit is automatically powered on when the 706 is power up. The only problem I had with installation, and a potential improvement that AmCom may consider, is the connector for the 13.8v input and power leads to the antenna. The connector does not give a comfortable feeling that the very important power leads are correctly attached and in my case one was not. This lead me to calling AmCom support who provided outstanding customer service! Once corrected the unit was up and running on the first attempt. Also, a dropping resistor is not needed for the HS-1800DX. Highly recommended for a mobile installation.

K0JRR Rating: 3/5 Mar 15, 2002 00:19 Send this review to a friend
COULD NOT GET IT TO TUNE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I HAD THIS TUNER FOR A PERIOD OF THREE MONTHS BEFORE RETURNING IT TO THE PURCHASE SOURSE. IT WAS VERY HARD TO TUNE. WHEN ASKED THE COMPANY THEY SAID TO CHECK THE GROUNDING AND GROUND STRAP ALL DOORS AND OPENINGS INCLUDING CAR BODY AND FRAME. I FOLLOWED THEIR STEPS CAREFULLY AND THE ANTENNA JUST BOUNCED BACK AND FORTH A INCH AND REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE. I GOT THE FEELING THAT THEY HATED TO HEAR FROM ME AFTER A FEW TIMES. LATER THEY TOOK A MESSAGE AND SAID THE CALL WOULOD BE RETURNED, BUT IT WAS NOT.I THINK THE IDEA OF THE PRODUCT IS GOOD BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE A BUG OR TWO THAT THEY HAVE NOT ADDRESSED YET.

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2001 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the AM-COM Screwdriver Antenna Controller today with my N7LYY model DK3 screwdriver and Icom IC-706MKIIG that I have been using for about 18 months in my Chevrolet 2000 Silverado extended cab pickup truck. The AM-COM works great and as advertised! What else do I need to say?