Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Lightning Bold 3 band Delta Loop 17MCD Help

Reviews Summary for Lightning Bold 3 band Delta Loop 17MCD
Lightning Bold 3 band Delta Loop 17MCD Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$180
Description: NOTE: I AM MIKE DUDDY FORMALLY LIGHTNING BOLT ANTENNAS. WE ARE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. WE ARE OUT OF BUSINESS AND WE DO NOT WISH TO SELL THE BUSINESS OR THE NAME. WE HAVE REMOVED OUR WEB PAGE. THANK YOU.

You can write your own review of the Lightning Bold 3 band Delta Loop 17MCD.

VE7SQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna...too bad it is not made anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't have a lightning bolt delta loop but it sure is a good antenna. I have been building delta loops since 1982 and my recent innovation is a 7 band 40 thru 10 multiband 4 element on a 60 foot boom. The 4 element 20 thru 10 is on a 30 foot boom and works great. The antenna has a low swr on all bands, great back to front ratio and is quiet. My antenna is similar but the apex is at the bottom to support the feed-lines. If hams have problems with high swr on the lightning bolt, I know how to fix it.

N9VV Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2001 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Good value for $180  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first beam antenna in 40 years of Hamming. The Lightning Bolt 17MCD fit both my realestate and my budget.

It was fairly difficult to put together and I recommend that you get a friend to help you. The aluminum wire is the toughest I have ever worked with. It kinks and recoils freely. The instructions were very difficult for me to understand and the xerox copy was poor quality. For example, the wire holders obviously go to the outside of the spider, but the instructions don't tell you that. It is clear to me that I am a novice antenna builder. More experienced Quad or Delta Loop builders would breeze through it no doubt. The spiders aren't welded exactly the same, or the bolt holds in the boom are off a bit because the director arm is offset from vertical compared to the reflector. This ANT did _not_ pass my XYL and "friendly neighbor" test. It is quite large and noticeable.

The ANT seems to be mechanically sound. It loads up with my tuner. I will have to learn how to trim it properly for a better match on the digi portions of 10/15/17 (the 3 bands I chose to build). I can see the value of a larger capture area and my RX is up 4 to 5 S units on some paths over a G5RV and HF9V (with radials). Even at 25ft it seems to be a good performer.

Please see pix of construction at http://www.n9vv.com/Delta_Loop/index.htm
or http://www.n9vv.com and click on ANTENNAS

If you can't afford a HexBeam, give one of these a try :-)

dit dit