Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Radio Shack Power /SWR Meter. Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Power /SWR Meter.
Radio Shack Power /SWR Meter. Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$29.95
Description: 80-10 Meter 3 range power meter and SWR bridge.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Power /SWR Meter..

W4WVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2002 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Good meter, good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am sure there are better meters available, but more expensive is not always better. This one does everything I require in my 100 watt or less shack, but I feel sure it would be capable of handling higher power requirements. It has always been accurate as far as I can tell as compared to the SWR meter in my Tentec rig and also the SWR/Power meter in my MFJ tuner before it crapped out. Several times I have heard people on the air say the RS meter compares favorably to the accuracy of their Bird meter. I think it is a great value in a meter for those of us who don't have that megabuck station. BTW, I found mine at a hamfest for $15 new in the box so I like it all the better.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2002 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Really is nice meter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Needing a power/SWR meter to use with my QRp rig, I took a chance and bought this unit new at RS and was pleasantly surprised at how well it works! Power readings agree with my Kenwood SW2100 power/SWR meter and I think the meter movement in the Radio Shack unit much more smooth when in the avg setting!

If you're into QRp better buy one! Half the price of the well-know power meter kit and just as accurate, but you know RS, they'll soon discontinue it and replace it with some crap meter!!

73.../ed

KG4PYM Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2002 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat for 30bucks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Corsair died, so my Uncle brought over his FT-7- then I realized I had been using the SWR meter in the Corsair and did not have one. Yikes! Radio Shack is 10 minutes away, so there I was...

I will not say hey this is up there in the Bird Category, so don't mistake my 5 rating to mean that- but the potentiometer is as smooth as silk! Hey, the CABINET is PLASTIC not METAL! But,
It has 3 power ranges.
I cannot speak for it's accuracy- if you demand high accuracy then 30 bucks brand new won't be your ticket anywhere.

If you need something right NOW, can't wait for mail-order, and can stomach a Radio Shack label near your rig ;) you cannot really complain for 30 bucks this is a great deal.

For those that may fit this bill, I recommend it without hesitation. For portability- QRP or QRO, it's a nice compact unit.

It's $29.95 and does what it was designed to do.

Darin.

K9ZBM Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2002 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on the previous reviews, I purchased the SWR/Power meter from a local Radio Shack. The power readings agree with my OHR WM-2, and the SWR function agrees with my Drake W-4, and MFJ antenna analyzer. For the size and price, no ham need be without this inexpensive power/SWR meter.
I have this meter in-line and am using it with my Sierra QRP rig. The SWR sensitivity is good even with only 2 watts from the transceiver.

W4IMF Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2002 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great for the Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm in full agreement with NZ5L. Also the peak reading function is the best I've found in a passive circuit power meter. Not as convenient as the Daiwa CN-101L cross-needle for SWR measurement, but far more accurate power readings.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2001 19:41 Send this review to a friend
perfect for QRP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I needed a meter able to give a full scale deflection on 80 Meters for SWR measurements. I had a friend working at RS who suggested I try this one, if it didn't work I was free to return it. Surprise, surprise! It DID give a full scale deflection on 80 (and all bands above) on 2W! I can't vouch for the accuracy but it agrees nicely with other small bridges I have used. As a bonus, it has a 20W scale that is ideal for QRP measurements. Accuracy is supposed to be within 10%. Based on comparison with other units, it probably is. It is small, light, not unattractive and at $29.95, what QRPer can afford to be without one?