Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Mizuho MX-606D Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho MX-606D
Mizuho MX-606D Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Late 80's 6m 10W SSB/CW transceiver

You can write your own review of the Mizuho MX-606D.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2003 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Spartan design, outstanding performance, cool rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MX-606D was Mizuho's late '80s 6 meter base station. It's clearly based on the MX-6S and PL-6S, but they are in one big box. The CW-6D is like an internal CW-2S on a board that mounts inside the rig. The controls are much larger, of course, and tuning isn't nearly as course as in a handheld. Output is 10W. This is probably the last analog 6m base rig ever made, and it, like most Mizuho rigs, is incredibly spartan. Receiver performance and audio reports can't be beat, though!

The radio is VXO controlled just like the MX-6S handheld, but the amazing thing is that each crystal covers a full 100kHz of the band instead of 50kHz. They are exactly the same crystals used in the MX-6S, but instead of stretching 50kHz up from the derived base frequency of the rock, they stretch 50kHz in both directions. My rig is crystalled to cover 50.100-50.200 in the A position and 50.200-50.300 in the B position. I need toget a 50.000-50.100 crystal :)

The rig uses the same MS-1 speaker/mic. as an MX-6S would, but a front panel switch allows you to choose between the internal radio speaker and the speaker in the MS-1. A quarter inch phono jack is also provided for headphones or an external speaker.

What few features there are include RIT, a large analog S/RF meter, and a very effective noise blanker. Maximum current draw is 3A at 13.8V for 10W out. I've measured the draw at about 2.5A, and the rig is fairly lightweight, so it is very suitable to Field Day or fixed portable operation, though it is way too big for backpacking. I've used the rig during recent band openings when 6m was incredibly crowded. The rig is very sensitive (as in better than the Icom IC-575H I had on an A/B switch), but selectivity isn't great for a crowded band. It's typical of any 6m rig, including the aforementioned IC-575H, with no narrow SSB filter, IF shift, or PBT. The receiver does not seem to be prone to front end overload. As this is an analog rig there is no digital or phase noise, so the reciever has a very low noise floor.

The rig is everything you'd expect from Mizuho: totally no frills but great performance. The downside to this rigs are the limited frequency coverage, lack of a narrow filter, CW or otherwise, and it's scarcity even in Japan. The rig commands collectors' prices and I had to pay quite a bit for it. As a Mizuho collector I must say I'm thrilled anyway since I have a rarity that also is good enough to be my main 6m rig. The reports I've bene getting this Es season tell me I've got a good one. If you find one of these you may want to grab it. I'd rate it a 4.5, but since that isn't possible I've rounded up :)