Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | TRAM 1180 Help

Reviews Summary for TRAM 1180
TRAM 1180 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $22
Description: A Dual Band Center Loaded NMO Mobile Antenna for 144/440 Mhz

You can write your own review of the TRAM 1180.

N4ZDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2016 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Impressed!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I usually use a Comet 2x4NMO mobile with a Kenwood TM-V71A. The swr is around 1.3 or better on vhf and pretty much the same on uhf. I ordered the Tram 1180 just to just to test my antenna against a cheaper one. To my surprise, the Tram was almost flat on vhf and 1.3 or better on uhf out of the box. In swapping out the antennas I can say the Tram is 1 to 2 s-units better on vhf receive. Pretty close to the Comet on uhf. I knew the Comet was not the best you can get but never thought it would be bested by a 21.95 antenna. I'm impressed.
AD1ET Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2015 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance - Great Looks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this antenna with chrome trim and the matching chrome trimmed NMO base at the Williams AZ hamfest. Hooked to a Yaesu 7900r. VSWR on VHF is 1.2:1 or less and on UHF 1.3:1 or less right out of the box. Great signal reports on low power and no trouble hitting repeaters in my area, all more than 25 miles away. Looks great as well and appears very well made. Exposure will tell. Have had several other dual band mag mounts but this one is a substantial item - very nicely made in my view.
KK4ULE Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Decent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Almost gave it a 3 but for the price I suppose it is a decent antenna. If you are looking for a mag mount mobile for an HT I would definitely go with the Opek VUM-201 (see other review). With that being said, if you plan to hook to a mobile (or even an HT plus amp) then you need something a lil heavier and this antenna will do the job and handle 50 watts just fine. I would probably only get the tram 1180 tho if budget didn't allow for much else. Otherwise I think I would prob spend a few extra bucks and go with the Larsen NMO 2/70.
N2XPM Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2013 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Very Surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning a number of antenna's from Larsen, Comet, Cushcraft, Austin, Maxrad, Laird, Diamond, Comtelco and alike, I could have SAVED a lot of money with just purchasing this antenna. What I like is the fact that the VSWR was 1.2:1 on both VHF@147mhz and @445mhz. Full forward power on 2M's at almost 50watts and at .70cm's 32watts. Many of the above antennas were tested on multiple vehicles and didn't deliver the results that this TRAM antenna did. The Antenna was purchased at with shipping around $30.00. This antenna is mounted to my NMO roof mount on the center of the roof with excellent results....Highly recommend! 73...thanks Mario W2NGT for the suggestion!
AB8UG Rating: 1/5 May 24, 2013 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Fell apart in my hand  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It worked good for the first six months. Then I noticed a fall off in received signal. Attached my antenna analyzer and got a 5 to 1 swr. When I unscrewed the antenna from the mount the button and spring came out in my hand and the retaining ring was split into four pieces. This was supposed to be the new improved version. I think that the company could use a better quality control process.
RAINS Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2012 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this antenna back in 09 as my first mobile antenna. I've only used it on a tram mag mount. Sense then I've used lots of different antennas. I keep coming back to this one though. I live in a mountains area of Oregon and this antenna works better than much more expensive units. Antenna has survived lots of brush, trees and long key ups with 55w. It's a better antenna than it should be! Try one!
AD5KO Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the antenna from Palmetto Antennas. I have recently moved to this state and I don't know the owner, so I'm not biased either way.

I have the antenna installed on the roof of my vehicle. It's the newer model with the larger coil. The SWR is low across both VHF and UHF, it's wide banded. The previous antenna was a Larson 5/8th wave 2 meter whip. On receive and transmit the 1180 compares well with the Larson on 2 meters. It's getting strong signals on 70cm. It picks up the NOAA weather channel slightly stronger than the Larson. I consider the Larson to be a very good 2 meter mobile antenna and have used it for many years, so the Tram 1180 is doing well.

Build quality isn't bad and for $23 it's a very good deal.

VA7TF Rating: 1/5 Apr 8, 2012 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Cheeply manufatured  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned a TRAM 1180 and it is said it handles 200 watts...well, I had been using one on my Goldwing with a decent less than 1.5:1 match on both bands, usually 10 watts on 146. I rairly used 446 (10 watts), and after about 5 months, I noticed problems. I removed the antenna to find the center connecting pin had lost it's spring strength. The only conclusion I could come up with was RF softened (cooked) the pin spring. The antenna became useless. I also have 2 Larsen dual banders for 10 years and both have had no problems. You get what you pay for.
KD5VHF Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Update from 2003 review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review back in 2003 and thought I would update and let you know this antenna is still going strong!
KD4FUN Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2009 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Dual Band  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Based on the reviews listed here I purchased the Tram 1180. paid about $20.00 for it, Placed it on the roof of my truck (NMO) mount and checked the was almost flat on 144 & 440. works FB on the repeaters here in Eastern North Carolina. I keep the power down to approximately 20 watts or less.