Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | TRAM 1180 Help

Reviews Summary for TRAM 1180
TRAM 1180 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $22
Description: A Dual Band Center Loaded NMO Mobile Antenna for 144/440 Mhz
More info: http://www.mapleleafcom.com/tram.htm

You can write your own review of the TRAM 1180.

KK4ULE Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Decent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Almost gave it a 3 but for the price I suppose it is a decent antenna. If you are looking for a mag mount mobile for an HT I would definitely go with the Opek VUM-201 (see other review). With that being said, if you plan to hook to a mobile (or even an HT plus amp) then you need something a lil heavier and this antenna will do the job and handle 50 watts just fine. I would probably only get the tram 1180 tho if budget didn't allow for much else. Otherwise I think I would prob spend a few extra bucks and go with the Larsen NMO 2/70.

N2XPM Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2013 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Very Surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning a number of antenna's from Larsen, Comet, Cushcraft, Austin, Maxrad, Laird, Diamond, Comtelco and alike, I could have SAVED a lot of money with just purchasing this antenna. What I like is the fact that the VSWR was 1.2:1 on both VHF@147mhz and @445mhz. Full forward power on 2M's at almost 50watts and at .70cm's 32watts. Many of the above antennas were tested on multiple vehicles and didn't deliver the results that this TRAM antenna did. The Antenna was purchased at http://www.palmettoantennas.com/ with shipping around $30.00. This antenna is mounted to my NMO roof mount on the center of the roof with excellent results....Highly recommend! 73...thanks Mario W2NGT for the suggestion!

AB8UG Rating: 1/5 May 24, 2013 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Fell apart in my hand  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It worked good for the first six months. Then I noticed a fall off in received signal. Attached my antenna analyzer and got a 5 to 1 swr. When I unscrewed the antenna from the mount the button and spring came out in my hand and the retaining ring was split into four pieces. This was supposed to be the new improved version. I think that the company could use a better quality control process.

RAINS Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2012 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this antenna back in 09 as my first mobile antenna. I've only used it on a tram mag mount. Sense then I've used lots of different antennas. I keep coming back to this one though. I live in a mountains area of Oregon and this antenna works better than much more expensive units. Antenna has survived lots of brush, trees and long key ups with 55w. It's a better antenna than it should be! Try one!

AD5KO Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the antenna from Palmetto Antennas. I have recently moved to this state and I don't know the owner, so I'm not biased either way.

I have the antenna installed on the roof of my vehicle. It's the newer model with the larger coil. The SWR is low across both VHF and UHF, it's wide banded. The previous antenna was a Larson 5/8th wave 2 meter whip. On receive and transmit the 1180 compares well with the Larson on 2 meters. It's getting strong signals on 70cm. It picks up the NOAA weather channel slightly stronger than the Larson. I consider the Larson to be a very good 2 meter mobile antenna and have used it for many years, so the Tram 1180 is doing well.

Build quality isn't bad and for $23 it's a very good deal.

AD5KO

VA7TF Rating: 1/5 Apr 8, 2012 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Cheeply manufatured  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned a TRAM 1180 and it is said it handles 200 watts...well, I had been using one on my Goldwing with a decent less than 1.5:1 match on both bands, usually 10 watts on 146. I rairly used 446 (10 watts), and after about 5 months, I noticed problems. I removed the antenna to find the center connecting pin had lost it's spring strength. The only conclusion I could come up with was RF softened (cooked) the pin spring. The antenna became useless. I also have 2 Larsen dual banders for 10 years and both have had no problems. You get what you pay for.

KD5VHF Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Update from 2003 review  Time owned: more than 12 months
********UPDATE****************
I wrote a review back in 2003 and thought I would update and let you know this antenna is still going strong!

KD4FUN Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2009 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Dual Band  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Based on the reviews listed here I purchased the Tram 1180. paid about $20.00 for it, Placed it on the roof of my truck (NMO) mount and checked the swr...it was almost flat on 144 & 440. works FB on the repeaters here in Eastern North Carolina. I keep the power down to approximately 20 watts or less.

W9RDL Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2009 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Better than you think  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on the reveiws here I replaced a Diamond NR770HNMO with a Tram (Browning) Model 1180. I found my on eBAy for $21.95 shipped to the door. I checked the SWR and out of the box it was 1:2 at 5 watts. Both antennas received good signal reports.

However, the 1180 beat the Diamond hands down for distance. While sitting in the McDonalds parking lot using 50 watts (ft-8800) I was able to make a contact through the repeater on the Sutter Buttes near Sutter CA. (approx 90 miles)the signal report came back 80% quieting. I traveled 10 miles toward the Buttes and reduced power to 20 watts and recieved signal reports of full quieting.

Many hams scoff at this cheap antenna, but few know that this antenna holds a Transmit Distance record set by N5PAX, 715 miles. Do not trust my word, google it and see for yourself.

KJ4JAJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2009 23:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought this antenna along with a NMO magnet mount from Palmetto Antennas on Ebay. I'm hitting repeaters nearly 50 miles away in my mobile with a Kenwood 261A on the Medium (10 Watts) power setting. SWR is 1.5:1 at 146.6 and that's right out of the box. I'm well satisfied.

JW - KJ4JAJ