Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | TRAM 1180 Help

Reviews Summary for TRAM 1180
TRAM 1180 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $22
Description: A Dual Band Center Loaded NMO Mobile Antenna for 144/440 Mhz
More info: http://www.mapleleafcom.com/tram.htm

You can write your own review of the TRAM 1180.

WQ0A Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2008 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Good performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna uses an NMO style coil design with a good dualband configuration that really works. It shares the same antenna concept along with some of the well known commercial antennas, such as includes Larsen & Maxrad.

In the past I have purchased the commercial name antennas only to find they had their own problems. Either the NMO coil would begin to spin apart and leak or the center tab would weaken and not keep a good connection. Prices have become too high for an antenna to last less than two years.

The price of the TRAM 1180 is right for the quality and performance. The center pin on the NMO coil is spring loaded and makes for greater reliability. They are not a high power antenna as others have stated. If you are careful about that fact I believe they can serve you well. After my experience replacing expensive antennas, these are a good buy and worth replacing when they fail.

Here is a good source if you are looking:

KE4AHR Rating: 1/5 Jul 29, 2007 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna for Low Power  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned this antenna for about a year I guess, having bought it from a seller off of eBay. I remember specifically asking the seller if it would handle 200W and the seller told me that it would. I was unable to find any more information about it at the time of purchase, but if my memory serves, it didn't cost me much ($30 or less).

Through the time I owned the antenna, I primarily used it on a sick Yaesu FT-8100, which means I was limited to 5W-25W on 2M for the most part and 5W on 440MHz. Using these power levels, I never had a problem with the antenna.

Then I switched the radio in the car out for a 100W commercial rig, and had no problems initially. I suspect this was due to mostly highway use and short transmissions, which likely allowed the loading coil in the middle of the antenna to cool by moving air. Then I had a long-winded QSO with the car in traffic, and the loading coil warmed up, made the plastic around it flexible, and the antenna leaned completely over, as well as split the plastic, revealing a solid #18 coil in the middle. The result of this appears to be that the antenna was only radiating using 1/4 wavelength, yet it miraculously didn't scorch the paint on the car where the antenna made contact during the QSO.

So it's good for low power, but don't use it on >25W.

KG6QKJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2006 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Best Gain  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this Tram antenna for a couple of years. Yes the first one melted at the load and bent over, but, it was my fault. I have the antenna mounted on a stake mount on my 1/2 ton pick up. I was talking for about 5 minutes @ 50 watts while sitting in my driveway. I then immediatley pulled the vehicle into the garage and the tip of the antenna hit the open garage door and the antenna bent over. The trap was too hot and when I hit the tip on the open garage door it bent and stayed bent.

I now have another and I stop talking a couple of minutes before I drive into the garage. No problems since then and it gets hot here in the central valley of California.

The reason I keep using this Tram antenna is because it really does have gain over most other mobile dual band antennas. Best antenna for the price.

KB1FFX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 18:23 Send this review to a friend
great antenna for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great antenna for the cheap money, I paid for it. I think if it breaks will just buy another one. I like it.

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2006 18:29 Send this review to a friend
great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great antenna, better gain on 2m than my 5/8 and decent on UHF. It's identical to the Lakeview mobile whip I had, however the Lakeview developed a problem and the center-load bulged. I never sent it into Lakeview, because of the shipping cost to sent it back in forth, I decided to get this antenna which is the same thing, but cost me $16.95 verses the $30.95 cost from Lakeview. The only think that looks different about it is that this antenna has a Tram sticker instead of the Lakeview. They both perform identically and well.

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2006 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed this antenna on the pick-up and the swr was great on both vhf and uhf and that was right out of the box.I can hit repeaters with this one just as good as the other antennas I have used,So I think I will get another one just in case.

KI6CIA Rating: 0/5 Feb 27, 2006 19:40 Send this review to a friend
JUNK!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really hate to leave this negative review. The antenna performs great, until you notice the fact that the center load coil has melted the plastic case that encloses it. I was informed or mis-informed that the antenna is supposed to be rated at 100 watts. I am using it with an Icom IC-V8000, max of 75 watts. While engaging in a short conversation with a local ham who also assisted me in installing the antenna with all the proper experience and metering equipment, I noticed the coil was beginning to take on a somewhat contorted shape. After a quick investigation I found that the coil was melting, and is now permanently disfigured, or unusable. Unless I was mis-informed on the max power rating, I would not recommend this antenna for anything over 50 watts. Otherwise good performance. I just bought that antenna. NEVER AGAIN A TRAM!!!

KD4ZGW Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2005 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently bought the Tram 1180. I have tried different antennas and none of them can even come close to the performance of the the Tram. I don't know all of the spec's on this antenna, but I was first disappointed (by the looks of it) being a 1/4 wave antenna, however, this is a stout little antenna. I can work my home repeater in areas that I couldn't even hit it. I guess it goes to say, "Big things does come in little packages."

I would recommend the Tram 1180 to any Ham that is looking for performance.

73 de KD4ZGW

DMOORE Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2005 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied, so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded to a dual band radio, Kenwood Tm-V708A (LOVE IT!!!), so I needed a new antenna.
I was looking at some other antennas from Hustler, Diamond and Larsen, but kept running into "out of stock issues"... Seems like a bunch of businesses were waiting to stock up at Dayton? I stumbled across the reviews of the Tram on Eham and decided to give it a try. If it lasts and performs like the 2m Hustler that it is replacing, then I'll be very happy indeed.
I was a bit concerned, at first, when I had some difficulty in mating the coil/NMO threads to my Larsen NMO mount, never had that trouble with the Hustler... That being said, now that it is mounted I have had good signal reports, good transmission and reception distances, it tuned up well, etc. The overall quality seems good, especially for the price. Longevity and durability will now be the issues.

KB7QDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2005 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Truth in advertising: I ordered my antenna and 9 others with the intent to market them. That being said, I mounted the 1180 on a Tram trunk lip mount and checked the SWR for both bands. The 440 side was perfect, 2 meters side was high. To all those who wish to know: To adjust 440 band - lengthen or shorten bottom element. To adjust 2 meter side adjust top element length. Adjust 440 side before 2 meter side. Simple! For the gentleman who had a poor experience with your antenna, never let anyone do what you can do yourself. I'd say the shop that installed your antenna screwed up.