Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | TRAM 1180 Help

Reviews Summary for TRAM 1180
TRAM 1180 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $22
Description: A Dual Band Center Loaded NMO Mobile Antenna for 144/440 Mhz
More info: http://www.mapleleafcom.com/tram.htm

You can write your own review of the TRAM 1180.

N8IWK Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2004 23:18 Send this review to a friend
good, could be better if  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I could only figure out how to tune this antenna. SWR readings are higher than I would like too see on both bands.
I did not receive any tuning instructions with this antenna. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
I see there are set screws on both ends of the coil and also on the base. Which whip do I adjust for which band, and in which order?
I assume I would adjust the lower whip first on one band, then the upper whip on the other band?
e-mail me at giovanniluce@hotmail.com

WB0BBC Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2003 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Very Favorable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna from a local dealer today for $35.00 to improve the performance over a 1/4 wave dual band antenna. Immediately I noted the improvement. I also have a Larsen 5/8 wave dual band antenna of similar size and quality that cost more to purchase new.

I'll need to watch my headroom with the larger antenna, but the quality is immediately apparent. The base threaded smoothly onto the NMO mount and all hardware is tight as delivered.

Look for me on the 444.175 (AC4XQ)repeater when you are in South Florida.

KC5QFE Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2003 00:03 Send this review to a friend
Rugged, economical, broadbanded dual-band antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this wonderful antenna at a hamfest back in late '95 or early '96 for $20 (new, still in the package). Though I cannot compare this antenna to other similar antennas of various manufacture, (it's the only dual band antenna I have and have used for 7 years or so.) it definitely is an improvement over the 1/4 wave Motorola antenna I first used (the Motorola was a fine antenna, though.). The most amount of power run through this antenna has been 50 watts, so I can't attest to max. power this antenna is capable of.

This antenna has been hit so many times by tree limbs, it's ridiculous, but so far, it has endured. This Tram has proven itself in performance, reliability, and ruggedness! I would not hesitate to recommend this model antenna to anybody wanting an excellent dual band antenna.

Does Tram still manufacture antennas? What is their website?

W6FYI Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2003 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent! Thanks for the eham reviews!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the good reviews on this page, I bought the Tram 1180 from gssec on eBay. What a great deal it is! It was around $26. I have been making QSOs all over to places I could not reach with my previous antenna. People on simplex have reported that I'm rock solid in our area. I used a Diamond trunk lip mount (NMO type) on my 4-door sedan, and the Tram scoots under the garage door wonderfully. If it were on the roof I'd probably get even better performance, but I couldn't park in the garage.

I was looking at other antennas and they were easily in the $60-$70 range. I am very happy with this purchase. Thank you folks here on eHam.

ps: the Diamond trunk mount I am using is the K400CNMO. very nice, though it's not cheap.

Donn W6FYI

KD5UWG Rating: 0/5 Jan 21, 2003 19:30 Send this review to a friend
poor antenna used for 1hour and it was shot  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just recieved my call sign today 01/21/03 bought a kenwood tm-v7a and the tram 1180 as well as a magnet mount shop set up my equipment had good swr but i made numerous qso's on medium power on my way home happy to be in the hobby well i got home and what to my supprise the antenna had a 90degree bend in it right at the load coil now i could understand if i over powered it but on medium come on and after only an hour i dont understand im gonna use a heat gun to try to straighten it so i can maybe use it on low power till i can buy a better antenna should have spent the extra cash today i guess but im a newbie so i hoped this would be good yeah right oh well 73's to you and yours and hope no one has an experience like mine

W4HRC Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2002 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also bought my Tram 1180 on Ebay from ggsec. The SWR is 1.5 to 1 or less on both bands out of the box. I've had it for over 1 year and have had no trouble at all. It works great and is well built, for under $30.00 it can't be beat.

KD5SLB Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2002 07:23 Send this review to a friend
one of the Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used this antenna as a mag. mount mobil and as a base unit and it warked perfect each way. One of the best you can get for the money.
KD5SLB

K2ANE Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2002 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Still a Charm!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Last year I purchased one of these dual band beauties on Ebay from screen name GSSEC. I was very happy with it. You can read my earlier review below.

This year I found myself wanting to add another dual bander to my second car and I did not have to think twice about where that antenna was coming from. I purchased this new one from GSSEC once again and installed it on my car. It uses an NMO mount. Same price and with Priority shipping it cost $24.95.

Just like with the last one, all I did was remove it from the packaging, check to make sure the allen set screws were snug and tight, popped it onto the roof mounted NMO fitting and Hammed away. The 2 meter SWR was 1.3 to 1 at 144.200, 1.1 to 1 at 146.520 and 1.3 to 1 at 147.960. I did not check the 440 SWR as I was using an older 706 at the time which does not have 440 capability. Needless to say, if it does not tune as a rule on 2 meters, forget about 440 though in the past I have found with other dual band antennas, 440 is more forgiving SWR wise if the 2 meter portion has a high VSWR.

I just had to share this experience once again regarding this product. It is a great deal and I am satisfied twice over.

de Bill K2ANE/2

KB9YFI Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2001 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Plug and play - Low $  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna from an ebay vender as well as the NMO mounting kit. They were really cheap. I think that the whole deal was under $35. I don't have an analyzer but the thing works great mounted to the center of my car's roof. I don't have a VHF SWR meter either but my HF meter will zero on VHF and shows a low reading of under 1.5 or so. I never bothered trying to tune it because it works great out of the box.

The good news is that it works really well in the field. Never had any bad signal reports on the repeaters plus it has perfomed great on simplex- expecially at public service events where we had repeater problems.

It is a pretty long antenna to have on the car top and it hits my garage door hard every time I enter or leave but clears the roof once the door is down. I have been abusing it thusly for the past year at least twice a day. It still works great and the loading coils show no signs of damage or cracking at all. I have a shorter Comet dual-bander that I put on when I have to go into parking ramps (when I remember- D'oh!) but its performance does not compare even though it cost much more. Gain is everything on simplex and this is a high-gain antenna that is high-quality and low-priced. What more can you ask for?