Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Icom PS-125 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom PS-125
Icom PS-125 Reviews: 79 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: This is a 25 amp continous and 30 amp peak power supply. It was built to match the Icom IC756 PRo and PRo 2

You can write your own review of the Icom PS-125.

W7UTE Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2010 07:14 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had about 3 of these and every one worked like it should. With the short cord you avoid voltage drop to the radio under full power. I checked mine against a large 30 amp supply using the stock power cord that comes with the radio and the ps-125 wins hands down. I've also purchased the adapter for
6 pin to 4 pin with the newer radios have and it's works great. You can buy a new ps-125 for 159 from Giga Parts and the adapters are about 15 bucks. You can also buy the parts and make your own. I think they are a good value and my ps of choice!

KH6DC Rating: 4/5 Sep 2, 2010 22:03 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got it free with my radio and it works ok. Actually it works excellent but the cable is too short. Made my own extension to solve that problem otherwise a good decent power supply.

W4KVW Rating: 3/5 Jul 25, 2010 07:54 Send this review to a friend
NOT PERFECT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm an ICOM MAN 100% but the PS-125 was NOT very well designed.The cord that connects with the radio is too SHORT & the fan is too LOUD.Would be nice if it also allowed some way of connecting orher gear to the supply.Had two of these that came with my 756 PROII & 746 PRO & sold both after testing too make sure they worked.I'll keep my ASTRON RS-70M & BE HAPPY!If you purchased one they are way "OVER PRICED"!

NP3ST Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2010 02:54 Send this review to a friend
ICOM SOUTH EAST  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
GOT A PS125 ALONG WITH A RADIO,BUT DID NOT WORK. SEND IT IN ,GOT IT BACK ,SITLL PROBLEMS! SEND IT BACK UNDER WARRANTY,AND GOT IT BACK IN PERFECT CONDITION.PROFECIONAL STAFF,VERY COURTEOUS,POLITE.WORKED TIL I WAS SATISFIED.CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EXELENT. GIVE A 4 BECAUSE MISHAP ON FIRST TRY. NEVERTHELESS,THEY STILL PROFECIONALS!

WA5KPE Rating: 0/5 Mar 27, 2010 19:40 Send this review to a friend
JUNK!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received the PS-125 "free" with the ProIII. A screeching cooling fan prompted me to write this. That just started. When operating normally in the receive mode the fan cylcles about every 45-60 seconds. It comes on for any transmission. It was loud and annoying even before the screeching started. In contrast my Alinco DM-330MV which I have used for five years almost never turns the fan on even when transmitting; and when it does it is very quiet. I guess that is why they have to give away the PS-125 because nobody who knows anything about the PS-125 would voluntarily pay for one.

N0JYC Rating: 2/5 Jan 21, 2010 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Some Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am on my second one since buying my Icom 746 (non-Pro model). The one that originally came with my radio ("free") failed after 12 months. I liked the matched look, did not find the fan noise overbearing and detected no hash on the bands so I bought another offered by a ham on eham. This one has operated flawlessly for 7 years. I give it a "2" due to the failure of the first one. 12 months and out was not acceptable.

W0EAJ Rating: 2/5 Sep 23, 2009 13:23 Send this review to a friend
There's a REASON they give it to you  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This switcher p/s is NOT made by ICOM - it's made FOR them by an outside entity. If they work, they work great - if they fail, just toss it, as it's not worth fixing.

The output is NOT fused (there is a 10a fuse, but if the surge supressor goes, it "saves" the fuse - typical Murphy Syndrome.

In case yours does fry the fat little black surge supressor (ZNR-1 on the schematic.. but it's NOT on the parts list), here's the ICOM part-number and component type:

p/n 6910016470 (ERZV14D621) $4.61 each

Buy yourself an Astron instead - it's not as black & pretty, but you'll be happier.

W6NFL Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2009 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine works as it should. The fan is audible but not near as loud as i was fearing from reading some of the other reviews. My computer's fan and amp fan is about the same loudness...no big deal at all. The PS-125 looks pretty good right next to the PROIII. As others have mentioned, the power plug that goes to the radio is very short so it really needs to be near the rig. Ive checked for hash and have not detected any on the bands from this supply. These are still "free" from most retailers when you buy a 746PRO so you can snag one at a pretty low price from fellow hams who just bout the 746PRO who have no need for the supply. Nice compact size too.

AA1ZO Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2009 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these. One suddenly died after about 4 years. A switching supply must do 4 things. It must come on, it must continue to run, it must regulate and it must shut down if there is a problem. These four rules helped me to troubleshoot the unit. It turned out that it had a bad D26, a 15 volt zener. After replacing the diode, the unit fired right up. So it is back in operation. It's too bad that it doesn't have a volt/current meter. Indicators have a language of their own. They tell you what is going on at a glance. The fan is noisy but will only stay on for about 3-4 minutes. There is a sensor under the transformer that toggles an OP amp that turns the fan off/on. So even when it is just powering the receiver, the fan will cycle as it saturates the ferrite core of the transformer. It can't be helped. It is the nature of the beast. I also wish the power cord was longer. I believe they make it short to cut down RF hash. All in all though a decent power supply.

KE1IN Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2009 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Match to IC-746PRO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My PS-125 was included with my IC-746PRO. Two months to the day after I got it, it failed. Sent to Icom Service in Bellevue, WA. It seems IC11, an op-amp, had failed. Icom Service repaired it under warranty and shipped it back to me packed better than I had shipped it to them.

I didn't see any other reviewers noting this problem, so perhaps mine was isolated. I've had no noticeable problems with RF hash or fan noise.

I agree with other reviewers that the short DC cable limits the PS to being placed to the right of the transceiver.

Note that the new PS-126 that's designed for the IC-7600 is probably the same basic supply with just a 4-pin power connector on the DC cable.

David, KE1IN