Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X-510MA Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X-510MA
Diamond X-510MA Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $Greater than $200
Description: Dual-Band Base/Repeater Antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond X-510MA.

WA0UAY Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2017 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Very good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Another operator recommended this antenna to me as I was looking to replace my J pole, actually another excellent antenna for the money. The 510 base is only about 15' off the ground. It hears things the J pole couldn't. As matter of fact the antenna works so well that when listening to more of a local repeater, I also hear distant repeaters in the background. The performance is outstanding and no rotor, etc. as needed with a beam. A little expensive but worth it. As others have mentioned the instructions are not the clearest in the world but adequate considering the antenna can only go together one way. I would recommend using LMR 400 coax, a good choice for VHF/UHF operating.

N0FQN Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2016 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Works well enough for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
As the trustee for the Klamath Basin repeaters I have to listen out for any problems that may arise. I've had the X510N up for over 7 years and finally had my first fault with it. After looking everything over and checking capacitance values I couldn't figure out why the SWR was at 4:1 on 2M and way higher on 440 MHz. I finally looked down the base tube and there was the dead body of a miniature wasp. Tapped the tube gently to get it low enough to the end of the tube and pried it out with a long screwdriver. It's gone and the SWR is now back where it belongs at 1.2:1 and 1.4:1 respectively. Can't complain about the antenna. Learned to check for bugs first.

K5TXA Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2015 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Good perfomance, bad construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When i first opened the box and had a good look at this antenna i had my doubts about its durability. It performs great but only 1 month the wind broke it over at the bottom of the antenna. The fiberglass is so thin you could crush it with your hand if you wanted to. If you are serious about getting this antenna, get the next shortest one and maybe it will not break as easy. This was a waste of $180. Will never buy another one. It is about half the thickness of an Antron cb antenna that i've had for 20 years and never broke due to wind. Bought an Arrow jpole to put up in its place so i wont have this problem anymore.

VK3TQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2014 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Guys, I read some interesting reviews on this antenna, I have 3 of them, so they are solid performers. If you commission them properly they don't leak, and they are also good repeater antennas if they are prepared to do that job, i.e. further sealing and gelcoat paint VK3RWN is Melbourne is just that been going 7 years and counting. I live 90km from the repeater, x510 to x510 at strength 9 on D-star 25W repeater.

I love these antennas but in VK we use 430-440 so they are resonated too low in the 144Mhz section so they work, just, in the 430 section I wish Diamond would produce a fully designed antenna that Fo was 146 and 435 suitable for those markets that use it Rather than a world market compromise

Other than that, love them, use them and recommend them

Peter VK3TQ
President VK3 D-Star Users group

AF4RK Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Better than a 4 el beam!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using a 4 element 2 meter beam from Arrow. I was not able to get the beam up high enough at my QTH, so I put up the X 510 which is about 10' higher than the beam at the top. Reports put the vertical twice as strong as the beam and full quieting on repeaters that the beam won't reach. I am getting 59 in Plantation on Simplex and I'm in North Miami (25 kM). I used the advice from KF6PYF on using epoxy and fibre glass to seal the joints along with the LocTite. SWR - reflected power on the Daiwa meter barely moves the needle. 17' gives me an easy way to get higher without a tower and the gain is impressive

N8YQX Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2014 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Great plug and play antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the X510HDM.

Initially, when I installed the antenna, I was disappointed to see high SWR towards the high end of both bands. I was also unable to hit some distant repeaters.

However, after reading the instruction in its entirety, I found the following information on the second page: Be sure to set the top of the mast below the radial elements.

I trimmed the antenna mast below the radial, and the SWR became 1:1 at the band center, and below 2:1 at the band edges. I was also able to hit many more repeaters.

I also observed the antenna in relatively strong wind. The antenna was swaying (as it should be), but appeared to hold up just fine.

Lesson learned: follow the instructions in its entirety, and this antenna will work as advertised.

W2UIS Rating: 3/5 Dec 29, 2011 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Too Tall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well designed antenna just too tall (17 feet) for my application. I was hoping the gain would improve my reception of a DStar repeater 35 miles away. I received the repeater just as well (S5 -7) with the x30. Antenna was returned to the dealer and the x30 put back in place. Lesson learned.

EB7CTX Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2010 10:39 Send this review to a friend
BUENA  Time owned: more than 12 months
Buena antena, relacion calidad precio, hay que asegurar bien las juntas y No usar adaptador de tipo N a PL y siempre poner un cable de buena calidad minimo RG-213, nada de RG-58 y recordar que los 200w son PP no continuos, para usar en continuo hay que subir la tension de los condensadores a 1000 v o mas

KE4AH Rating: 3/5 Jul 29, 2010 19:05 Send this review to a friend
High SWR above 147 mhz  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is great antenna as far as reception goes. The swr above 147 mhz is so high that the power output of both my Icom 746 and 706 cuts back to nearly zero. Below 147 mhz, the swr is flat. I even purchase new RG8/U thinking maybe the coax was bad. No such luck.

JA7UDE Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2010 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this antenna for over four years and had zero problems. It stands strong against the north wind constantly blowing in winter in my QTH. Good gain and reasonable SWR. Highly recommended.