Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X-510MA Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X-510MA
Diamond X-510MA Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $Greater than $200
Description: Dual-Band Base/Repeater Antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond X-510MA.

XU7ADQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2009 02:05 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Brute Power Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found a used X-510 M while searching the 'Radio Market' here in Phnom Penh.
The vendor obviously knew very little about dual band antennas, and sold it to me as a VHF only antenna!
I was well aware of what I was buying, and the label at the base even stated 144/440MHz, but who looks a gift horse in the mouth?
As is usual for South East Asia, the haggling started (remember Life of Brian?) at the ridiculously high price of $75 USD!
10 minutes and one cigarette later, I walked out with a nice used Diamond X-510 for a princely $45.
Being used, when I got it home, another 30 minutes was spent removing the elements from the fibreglass tubing (top 2 sections only!!) to check for any water damage (clean as a whistle).
The fibre sections, joints and chrome fittings were then cleaned with washing-up liquid and a plastic scourer, and finally polished with some car polish (as recommended in an article on here).
All the rubber sealing gaskets were checked and found to be intact(important for here during the monsoons).
A 4m x 45mm mounting pole was then attached to the mount, and the reassembled antenna (17+ feet!) was hoisted into position on my house roof.
The rooftop is at about 30 feet AGL and the antenna base is 12 feet above that.
The location is only 42 feet ASL
After securing the pole, I went downstairs to check the results on my IC-706MKII G.
Definitely more there than I normally got on my mobile antenna (mounted on the roof patio).
That's when the problem started.
There are NO amateur repeaters at all in XU land to check reference signals with.
Not too many folk speak English out here, and even less of them know what a 'signal report' is!
147.000MHz is the 'Icom' calling channel (Asian CB), and as such is normally crowded with people singing and trying to talk over each other.
I eventually found a security guard on 147.210 who spoke English and had an idea what I wanted.
He told me I was very clear and no noise,gave his location as Central Market and radio GP300.
That's when I knew that the antenna's performance was good.
Central market is located as far into the metropolis as it's possible to get and is surrounded by tall buildings, and at 11 miles as the crow flies from my house, it's not to be sneezed at.
In the abscence of anyone locally able to give me a reliable signal report, I came up with a scheme to 'self test' the X-510.
My Icom IC-706MKII G was set on 146.3125 MHZ (empty) and the VOX activated.
My spare cellphone was then put near the microphone, and - "Voila", one remotely operated transmitter.
Out onto the road with my VX-7r, and at points around the city, I called my other phone and listened for the annoying Nokia tune.
Everywhere in the city,even out to the suburbs at around 20 miles from my house, the signal was full scale or near full scale!
20 miles may not be a long distance, but you should try the same experiment in downtown NY City to get an idea of the conditions.
The following Saturday saw the same setup, but this time (XYL in tow), we went out towards the coast and mountains.
Stops were made along the route at about every 10 miles and the VX-7 signal meter read.
At 35 miles (near the mountains in Kampong Speau, the signal dropped from end stopping for the first time!
The road goes round the mountain at this point, and then continues to climb gently for another 20 miles or so.
When we got to the mountaintop pagoda (54 miles direct, 68 miles by road) I checked the VX-7 and was still getting between full scale and s7 on the meter!
From that point, the road drops down to the other side of the mountain, and predictably, the signal quickly dropped off.
The 'bell' ringer function of the VX-7 'rang' just once more at about 75 miles (confirming it was rx'ing the CTCSS from the Icom 706), but this was probably a fluke reflection or maybe aircraft scatter.
What makes this achievement 'awesome' is the fact that all my tests were conducted using the stock antenna on the VX-7, so the work was definitely being done by the Diamond, 'cos the stock 'duckie' is lousy at best.
I have checked only the SWR on VHF, and it's flat from 143-148 MHz, but have no way to check the SWR on UHF.
My Yaesu FT-8800 arrives in the next day or two, and the reason for buying the antenna will be tested.
The crossband repeater feature will be used for keeping in contact with friends and colleagues around the area (with DCS squelch), who normally struggle to communicate with their Weierwie Chinese radios at more than a mile.

To summarise; if there's a better VHF/UHF dual band vertical out there which even gets close to the X-510 in raw brute power, I've yet to see one.
Gains of 8.3dbi at 145 Mhz and 11.7dbi at 440 MHz are normally reserved for yagis, but they are packaged here into a slim (but bloody long) vertical.
From the results I got with my tests, these gain figures are not 'pie in the sky' either.
At around $150-$220 new, they aren't cheap, but you get Diamond Japanese quality with a performance to match.
If you can afford one, and have room to get one up in the air - DO IT!
You will not be disappointed.

Please - no flames about frequency use or no CW ID with crossbanding.
The FCC doesn't rule over here, and my licence is valid!

Good DX to all;

N4DBM Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2008 05:25 Send this review to a friend
OK but no high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna is fine for what it is.. Don't mount it out the top of the tower where lightning will hit, or a splinter of fiberglass you'll have. Also, their power rating is 200 watts - what that means, is 200 watts PEAK - like side band - which no one ever uses on vertical - but anyway, that translates into just less that half of combined power on FM - about 70 watts. So, that's 35 on VHF and 35 on UHF at the antenna until the disc capacitors start smoking. If you're running this antenna for repeater service, and you don't have much feed line loss, don't put more that 25 watts per band in it or you'll blow it up, or cause duplex noise.

The antenna is designed for the "home ham" to mount on their TV antenna post and check into the local nets. Use it for what it's designed for, and you won't be disappointed.
NE2I Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Pulls in the weak ones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced an old no name antenna that was not working
correctly. It completely transformed my idea of
2m simplex What an awesome antenna.

KD8BBK Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2007 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna after 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Diamond x-510 2 years ago and it is still working perfectly. When i first bought it I thought it was a bit Pricey but the performance out-weighs the price. The antenna has been through some harsh weather and is up in the air about 60 feet. I use a yaesu 8800 and no amp and still outperform my friends that use beam antennas. Just remember to follow the directions and put it together the way it is meant to be put together and not the way you think it should.
MM0PMW Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2007 07:39 Send this review to a friend
4 years, and still going as good as new.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 510N(Europe) it has been roof mounted for over 4 years, it works as good today as it did the day it was instaled.It has been through some wild Scottish winters, with high winds, what I would say is that when it comes time for replacement, I will use guy wire/cable next time, because at 5.2 meters it can bend slightly in high winds.I have tried a lot of so called white sticks, and this is ths best for me to date.
ZL1DOM Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2007 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the X510 for almost 12 months, so far no problems with wind or water damage, although I did seal the joints with Silicon sealant. The antenna has survived several 80 mph storms, we are on a coastal location with botom of antenna about 6 ft (1.8m) above the roof of the house. The tip of the antenna is only around 33ft (10m) above sea level. terrain for hundred & eighty degrees around us is mountains 1500 to 2000ft high at a distance of 10 miles (16km). on 2 metres this antenna still manages to rx repeaters and some simplex signals on the other side of the mountains at distances between 50 and 110 miles, The repeater 50 miles away has its antenna only 100ft above sea level. I am very pleased with this antenna. I am just putting up a 40 ft tower and will put the X510 on top this will lift it another 25ft so look forward to accessing another 2 or 3 repeaters.
On 70 cm can access only one repeater at a distance of 58 miles and once again on the far side of the mountains. Feed is 9913 coax and swr on 2 meters is aroud 1.1 to 1.4 to 1 on 70 cm 1.3 -1.6 to 1. Would I buy this antenna again, Definitely yes.
PA3HGT Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2007 06:52 Send this review to a friend
not better on 70  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 510 to replace my X200N and when i did the comparasion with the 2 antenna's,the 510 had the same performance on TX/RX 70cm as the X200.
Om 2 mtrs was the 510 better.
I give the antenna a 2 because the performance on 70 was a disappointment for me.
LU1DAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2007 05:57 Send this review to a friend
JUST PERFECT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Amazing!!!, really incredible!!! I have one for more than 4 years and I do not have any problem, I use whit a yaesu ft-8900 in crossband repeater and work great!!!
If you can put a 5 meters antenna, JUST BUY ONE!!

JA7UDE Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2007 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Very good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using V-2000, a 50/144/430 triple band antenna, for over ten years. It really is a solid performer. As my experience on V-2000 is so great, I bought VX-1000, a non-radial 50/144/430 antenna. Itfs a bummer. I could not get my VX-1000 tuned right on 144. It showed high SWR throughout the 2m band. The SWR on 50 and 430 seems good, but V-2000 provides far better gain.

I suspect a non-radial antenna has something compromised, so I gave another gwith radialh antenna a try. I put up X-510M a few weeks ago, and have been impressed with its performance. The assembly was easy. It looks mechanically solid. Since X-510M is about twice as long as V-2000, it is natural to have greater gain. However, it is far better than I expected. I am able to hit a repeater 50km away from my QTH. I could not hit it with V-2000. It is only a few weeks since I put it up, so it is too early to comment on the mechanical endurance. Will see......
XE2VOO Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2006 06:47 Send this review to a friend