Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X-510MA Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X-510MA
Diamond X-510MA Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $Greater than $200
Description: Dual-Band Base/Repeater Antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond X-510MA.

N4DBM Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2008 05:25 Send this review to a friend
OK but no high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna is fine for what it is.. Don't mount it out the top of the tower where lightning will hit, or a splinter of fiberglass you'll have. Also, their power rating is 200 watts - what that means, is 200 watts PEAK - like side band - which no one ever uses on vertical - but anyway, that translates into just less that half of combined power on FM - about 70 watts. So, that's 35 on VHF and 35 on UHF at the antenna until the disc capacitors start smoking. If you're running this antenna for repeater service, and you don't have much feed line loss, don't put more that 25 watts per band in it or you'll blow it up, or cause duplex noise.

The antenna is designed for the "home ham" to mount on their TV antenna post and check into the local nets. Use it for what it's designed for, and you won't be disappointed.

NE2I Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Pulls in the weak ones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced an old no name antenna that was not working
correctly. It completely transformed my idea of
2m simplex What an awesome antenna.

KD8BBK Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2007 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna after 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Diamond x-510 2 years ago and it is still working perfectly. When i first bought it I thought it was a bit Pricey but the performance out-weighs the price. The antenna has been through some harsh weather and is up in the air about 60 feet. I use a yaesu 8800 and no amp and still outperform my friends that use beam antennas. Just remember to follow the directions and put it together the way it is meant to be put together and not the way you think it should.

MM0PMW Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2007 07:39 Send this review to a friend
4 years, and still going as good as new.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 510N(Europe) it has been roof mounted for over 4 years, it works as good today as it did the day it was instaled.It has been through some wild Scottish winters, with high winds, what I would say is that when it comes time for replacement, I will use guy wire/cable next time, because at 5.2 meters it can bend slightly in high winds.I have tried a lot of so called white sticks, and this is ths best for me to date.

ZL1DOM Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2007 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the X510 for almost 12 months, so far no problems with wind or water damage, although I did seal the joints with Silicon sealant. The antenna has survived several 80 mph storms, we are on a coastal location with botom of antenna about 6 ft (1.8m) above the roof of the house. The tip of the antenna is only around 33ft (10m) above sea level. terrain for hundred & eighty degrees around us is mountains 1500 to 2000ft high at a distance of 10 miles (16km). on 2 metres this antenna still manages to rx repeaters and some simplex signals on the other side of the mountains at distances between 50 and 110 miles, The repeater 50 miles away has its antenna only 100ft above sea level. I am very pleased with this antenna. I am just putting up a 40 ft tower and will put the X510 on top this will lift it another 25ft so look forward to accessing another 2 or 3 repeaters.
On 70 cm can access only one repeater at a distance of 58 miles and once again on the far side of the mountains. Feed is 9913 coax and swr on 2 meters is aroud 1.1 to 1.4 to 1 on 70 cm 1.3 -1.6 to 1. Would I buy this antenna again, Definitely yes.

PA3HGT Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2007 06:52 Send this review to a friend
not better on 70  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 510 to replace my X200N and when i did the comparasion with the 2 antenna's,the 510 had the same performance on TX/RX 70cm as the X200.
Om 2 mtrs was the 510 better.
I give the antenna a 2 because the performance on 70 was a disappointment for me.

LU1DAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2007 05:57 Send this review to a friend
JUST PERFECT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Amazing!!!, really incredible!!! I have one for more than 4 years and I do not have any problem, I use whit a yaesu ft-8900 in crossband repeater and work great!!!
If you can put a 5 meters antenna, JUST BUY ONE!!
73´s

JA7UDE Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2007 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Very good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using V-2000, a 50/144/430 triple band antenna, for over ten years. It really is a solid performer. As my experience on V-2000 is so great, I bought VX-1000, a non-radial 50/144/430 antenna. Itfs a bummer. I could not get my VX-1000 tuned right on 144. It showed high SWR throughout the 2m band. The SWR on 50 and 430 seems good, but V-2000 provides far better gain.

I suspect a non-radial antenna has something compromised, so I gave another gwith radialh antenna a try. I put up X-510M a few weeks ago, and have been impressed with its performance. The assembly was easy. It looks mechanically solid. Since X-510M is about twice as long as V-2000, it is natural to have greater gain. However, it is far better than I expected. I am able to hit a repeater 50km away from my QTH. I could not hit it with V-2000. It is only a few weeks since I put it up, so it is too early to comment on the mechanical endurance. Will see......

XE2VOO Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2006 06:47 Send this review to a friend
12 AÑOS EN USO  Time owned: more than 12 months
HE UTLIZADO ESTA ANTENA POR MAS DE 12 AÑOS,FUNCIONA PERFECTAMENTE,CON ELLA HE TRABAJADO VARIOS PAISES EN EL MODO DE SSB,LOS EQUIPOS QUE CON ELLA TRABAJE,IC 910H,TS2000,IC 746 NO PRO,Y AHORA UN MODESTO ICOM ICV8000 DE 75W,EXPRESO CON TODA SINCERIDAD QUE ESTA ANTENA VERTICAL ES LA MEJOR PARA MI EN ESTA TIPO PARA ÁCTIVAR REPETIDORES Y DE VEZ EN CUANDO Y LA PROPAGACION LO PERMITA UN COMUNICADO DE LARGA DISTANCIA,FELICES FIESTAS DE NAVIDAD.

G7CNF Rating: 2/5 Dec 9, 2006 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced my Diamond V2000a with this, expecting outstanding results on 2/70. It is mounted at the same position as was the V2000 but of course is longer. It is fed with 10m of RH100 low loss.

One year on and I definitely feel I have traded down. I have lost marginal access to 3 repeaters on 70cms, and a number of others were down on RX. (This is with acceptable SWR) It has suffered from water ingress twice and has now been 'super-sealed' by myself.

Last week I put up a 4ft discone, the top of which is at the same height as the top of the X510, for monitoring purposes and hey presto, at least one of those marginal repeaters was back in....

I'm off to get another V2000.....