Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Create RC5 Series Help

Reviews Summary for Create RC5 Series
Create RC5 Series Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: r4c
More info: http://www.cd-corp.com/english/a3_eng.html

You can write your own review of the Create RC5 Series.

VK2GWK Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2004 19:39 Send this review to a friend
RC5A-3 good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
A good and reliable rotator for my 3 el tribander. When I moved from PA to VK I mailed the factory in Japan how I could obtain a new front with the world map centered on VK. No worries; I received one in the mail free of charge.
Recently the indicator went funny and then stopped working altogether. One of the transistors driving the direction-display motor had blown. Replaced it and everything is working again.

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2003 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Reliable performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a RC5B-3 with a CK46 thrust bearing turning my 3 element 20 metre monobander at my Atlantic facing seaside qth in GW. Usually I can only visit once a year usually in the summer and my main requirement is to find the tower, rotator and antenna system still standing and functional after months of severe winter storms. It has worked without drama for me so far. Bought direct from Japan and carried back from Hong Kong in my carry on baggage in 97, well worth the effort.

DF1AS Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2002 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced an (also quite new) Yaesu/Kenpro-800SDX by an RC5-1DC. I must say here that it is used to control a 2m lattice dish on UHF/SHF - not a "DX beam".
The Kenpro was quite unusable on 6cm, the Create is now good for 3cm! Thanks to the DC-Motor and the worm gear. Rotational speed can be slowed down to 3 min/full rotation!
It also seems that newest rotators got improved painting. Doesn't look prone to corrode next years. Anyway, the user's manual still recommends periodical repaintings.
The only downer - but for ALL ham rotators - is the "old fashioned" look and technique of the controller boxes. (Yes, M-square has digital technique, but what size ...) Should really be possible to put all on a PCI-board or into a slim-line case. Power is less than it looks!
73 - Kay-Uwe

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2002 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Great, small mod needed for A/D interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the RC5A-3 models (no 'P') so no connector on the back for interfacing some computer.

I have the rotator working 100% turning a 11 el yagi by Optibeam and 5 el 6 meter yagi + VHF. the rotator does the job.

One remark I want to chair. I bought a ARS interface (www.ea4tx.com) to turn my antennas with logger software. I noticed that the CREATE engineers **forgot** to use a diode in the schematics. the rotator works fine without it, but if you measure at the potentiometer read-out, you will see that voltage is fluctuating.

This becomes a problem when trying to convert analoge to digital for interfacing. The calibration was hard and by implementing a 5,1 volt, 1,3 watt zener diode (resistor already in place on the board) I had a very stable line voltage of 5 VDC when fully CW and 0,1 VDC when fully CCW.

From the moment I did this modification, I had a very linear voltage and nice and accurate A/D to my 8bit controller.

More info : www.2die4.be

I love my CREATE, ON7WP mailed them to look into this minor thing.

73, Philippe, ON4VP

F6BLQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2002 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Strong and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Happened to use 2 RC5B-3 for 4 years at 5N0T. Always worked great with 318C+248C stack or 2 el. 40 m beam. You may just forget about breakable alpax key like on other rotators: here the worm gear is doing the job well, and cud turn your house (if not too large).

Just one thing: the housing on both units got badly corroded after 4 years. Repainting have made them new again, and one is being installed this month in 9Q. Have no fear it will work fine.

Worth the money, 73+

Pat 9Q/F6BLQ

K9IG Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2000 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Positive response from the factory.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too took a lightning hit in May if 99 and it trashed the control box and took out the internal pot in the rotor of my RC5B-3. I also went looking for help but didn't find any help from EEB...now defunct...been that way for over a year now.

I managed to get an engineers name in Japan at Create. Over a period of a month he was very responsive to all of my questions. I ended up repairing the circuit board in the control box on my own....I just followed the schematic in the manual.

I did get to a point where I could not locate 2 pieces of hardware on the PC board...they were made in and only could be found at Create in JA. I contacted Create to ask for suggestions on locations in the states as to where I could purchase them. Surprisingly, I received the parts via Air Mail from Create...no charge. They did the same for me on the pot in the rotor...no charge...it showed up in the mail.

With Create hardware, you need to know what your getting yourself into going in. You are your own support. If you can't solder and don't like to play in the innards of a rotor when they go down, they are not for you.

Otherwise, it's a great piece of hardware and for me the staff in Japan went above and beyond the call of duty to support a Ham in the US.

73/Greg
K9IG

WA2QNW Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2000 19:34 Send this review to a friend
NO FACTORY SUPPORT  Time owned: more than 12 months
MY RC5B3 ROTOR TOOK A LIGHTINING HIT. I TRIED TO CONTACT THE AMERICAN DISTRIBUTOR....BELLY UP (I THINK)NO REPLY DESPITE AN ANSWERING MACHINE TAPE. I CONTACTED JAPAN..THEY WOULD ONLY SELL ME A NEW ONE FOR OVER $1000 AND NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS. I TRIED CANADA AND UK TO LOCATE ONE... NO LUCK..

SORRY FOLKS, GREAT ROTOR FOR MY LARGE ARRAY, NO FACTORY SUPPORT AT ALL.

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Anonymous Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 1999 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Good Rotator  Time owned: unknown months
I've owned an RC-5 for over 8 years now, and never had a problem with it. It has performed remarkably well, and was a quantum leap forward over the Diawa rotator that it replaced. I would definately recommend it.

K5ZD Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 1999 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Super reliable  Time owned: unknown months
I am now on my tenth year of using a Create RC5A-2 to turn a Cushcraft 40-2CD and Hygain 205CA. This rotator uses a worm gear so there is no brake mechanism or wedge to fail. The electronics for the direction indicator work great (although mine is beginning to get scratchy to the Northeast where the antennas are pointed most of the time). The motor speed can be adjusted from inside the shack for fine pointing of VHF arrays or for babying long boom antennas. The more expensive units have a preset knob that allow you to just dial a direction and forget it. This rotator costs more than a Hygain but its worth it. Too bad the US distributor isn't very friendly or helpful.