Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Lux-Log Help

Reviews Summary for Lux-Log
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $Hamware
Description: General logging and contest software. Also an excellent awards tracker.
More info: http://www.luxlog.info

You can write your own review of the Lux-Log.

NF9L Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2012 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Frustrated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just thought Id explain my experience trying to use Lux-Log Logging software. After installing it I went to Help and read the getting started explanation. I have no idea what to do and the description was so vague and it moved from one thing to another. It said to use the tab key moving from field to field.

I was looking for a step by step description and was totally confused by the help assistance. So, not understanding how to properly get started, I just uninstalled the software and now I will continue looking for a logging program that is easier to understand and considers my need for careful instruction getting started . . .

VA7TF Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2009 09:43 Send this review to a friend
One of the BEST I have found  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using LUXLOG for about 9 years. I have tried several other programs that offer trial times and some that are free. I stuck with LUXLOG! It does almost everything I need in some areas, and also more than what I need in other ares. Norby LX1NO the author/programmer and Claude F5PBL are very, very supportive with help.

I have not tried the contest module, so I can not comment on that part, however, the rest of the program suites me well. It does have quite a few rigs it can control via computer but not many Yaesu rigs. Not a biggie as I use DXAtlas, Bandmaster, FTBasic and Ham Radio Deluxe. The configuration file allows to set the program clock to UTC, print different size labels, exclude different bands, dx cluster, etc. too much to mention here.

All in all, it's one heck of a super program, and IT IS FREE!!! I use it mostly on Windows XP Pro but it does function in VISTA only in Administrator. I have it on one laptop using VISTA. I reserve my right to express my undesired likes about VISTA itself.

If you want, you can register LUXLOG with Norby LX1NO. When he sends you the registeration file and it is added into the LUXLOG directory, it will bypass the 20 second countdown timer that impedes the program to the full execution.

One can add/edit/remove IOTA, Prefixs, different awards, etc. One can import/export the datafile to/from other logging programs with ease.

Imports from Lux-Log, ADIF, Baseler Log, CL-Log (v1.0), Das Log (v1.60b), DX-Base, DX-Log, HAM-LCT, HamLog, HamLog/32, Hyperlog, Journal de Trafic, Log-EQF, Log-Plus, Log Windows, OH1AA, Profi-Log, R25-Log, SwissLog, TacLog, TopLog, WinLog.

I could go on and on with nothing but positive information about LUXLOG. If you have not tried it yet, give it a go.

It's at http://www.luxlog.net/

Happy Dx'ing

Tony VA7TF, VE7ACF

WB2TLQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2003 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Can't Beat the Price!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using Lux-Log for about a year now and must say that I am very satisfied with the program. Given the complete review that started this thread I won't try to go through feature by feature, but suffice to say it is a very rich program.
For the paper chaser it is probably the most complete award tracking program out there. And as has been pointed out, if somehow your favorite award program is not now listed it literally takes only a few minutes to add a new one to the database.
The contest module is quite nice (if a bit quirky...) although I am not a serious contester so perhaps I am not the best qualified to rate that portion. However, I have played in a few contests and found the module easy to use, and then it is a snap to move your contest QSOs into your regular logbook -- or a separate one. Great for those of us who use contests as an opportunity to snag new countries, islands, lighthouses or what have you.
And yes, you do have to be careful during the upgrade process. However, during the last upgrade my contest module did not function properly and within 24 hours I had exchanged emails with Norby and he updated my database correctly (I actually had missed a step during an earlier upgrade...) and everything works great.
I can't say that I tried every logging program under the sun, but I tried quite a few before settling on Lux-Log. It runs circles around a lot of the other programs and definitely holds its own against the very best. But you can't beat the price! Lux-Log is Norby's gift to ham radio and it is quite a package. You have absolutely nothing to lose by downloading the latest version and deciding for yourself.
Thanks Norby!

VK3JED Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2002 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program, Upgrade process can be a problem sometimes.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a long time user of Lux-Log. In that time, it's proved to be a fantastic logging package. Prior to Lux-Log, I had tried a couple of other logging programs, and none really fit the bill.

Only downside I have noticed is when you have to upgrade the program. The database format seems to change with each version, and the process is not transparent like it is with other software (not necessarily ham oriented) packages. This has caused a number of problems over time.

Overall, I recommend Lux-Log, there's not much better for logging, but keep your wits about you at upgrade time, and keep up with each upgrade.

LA4YKA Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2002 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Best of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's just better than many other programs that you must pay for.
Great work, Norby

TA5FA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2002 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Lux-log best is the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Im using lux-log since 3 months.
This software is best is the best. It's very easy .
I love it. Thank you Norby All Ok.

73' de TA5FA

From TURKEY

DJ1YFK Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2002 19:14 Send this review to a friend
great software  Time owned: more than 12 months
i am using the lux-log software by Norby, LX1NO since over 2 years and I really love it. It has many features that many software for a lot of bucks doesn't offer and it's easy to handle.
So my Rating is 5/5! 73, fabian dj1yfk

KN8AW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2001 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Best I have used.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Lux-Log is far and away the best logging, contesting and awards tracking program I have used and I have tried them all. Norby, LX1NO, has written an outstanding piece of software.
For starters, you can define more separate logbooks than you will ever use (over 30,000!).
In the logging entry window, I was surprised to see information fill itself into some of the fields when I entered the call sign of the station I worked. This is due to the included lists of data.
All subsequent QSOs with an already logged station will automatically display any information that you previously entered; all award data, QTH, name, etc.
All major contests are supported. You can even save your contest log as a Cabrillo format with a space to enter your soapbox comments. If you don't see a supported contest in the available list, you can enter the parameters yourself. You are not dependent on what the writer has included. The same goes for awards tracking. When I first used Lux-Log, I didn't see an entry for logging FIST numbers, so, I went into the database and made my own entry for that particular award. The newest version includes FIST logging, though.
Want a hard-copy of your logs? Then print it out. It looks just like a standard logbook format. You can print the whole thing or print out a specific range.
Want to see a chart of continents worked, per mode, frequency, etc.? Just go to the menu bar and bring it up. How about how many prefixes worked by mode and/or band? Easily done.
If you want to see status of awards using all of your logbooks, you can specify that, too. For instance, I have a logbook for each of the two call signs that I have been issued. When I wish to know how many prefixes I have worked, I can query one logbook, the other, or both. Using another logging program, I had to create another logbook and dump all the data from both callsigns into it so that I could keep track of the total DXCC, counties, states, etc. If you had 15 different call signs and you made a different logbook for each one, then the program will let you query data from all 15 simultaneously, if you so choose.
There is so much more. Just go to the website and have a look.
If you decide to try the program, please read the instructions very carefully and follow them to the letter. If you have trouble and think there is a bug in the software, think again. I had some difficulties exporting data at one time, but upon submitting my database for review, I was told that I forgot to do a data update when I upgraded to a newer version of the program. Indeed, I had forgotten. I knew I had to do it, but failed to read the README that was posted. So, READ THE DOCUMENTATION. There is great support available on the Lux-Log reflector.
This is the only logging/contesting/award software that I use. It is better, in my opinion, than any software available at any price. Give it a try. It won't cost you anything.