Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-302 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DX-302
Radio Shack DX-302 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $400
Description: Table-top general coverage receiver .15-30Mhz AM, USB, LSB

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-302.

NX5W Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2003 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Reciever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this at a Ham Fest 1 1/2 years ago. Paid $40.00 for it. Brought it home put a 100' Long Wire on it and it works wonderfully. You can also hook it up to a PL-259 male and run it to a antenna switch and put as many antennas as you think you need. It has a ground lug as well, you'll need it to if you want to pick up anything. It also has a External Antenna that you pull up. My kinda got broke off, but nothing is bullet proof around the XYL's cat either. That @*&# &+%! I am very satisfied with my DX-302. Wish I had another, for the shack.
The radios' 2 way power also helps in power outages, it can be used on 110 or 9 "C" cell batteries. Which I would recommend Rechargables of some kind. Especially with that many batteries to be used.
And Good Listening!
73's, Darryl, NX5W

JSCHAEFF Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2002 01:47 Send this review to a friend
Looks  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this new a long, long time ago. It was my first digital table top. It is prone to noise and does have some drift. The tuning procedure does take some time to get used to. My son thought it looked cool so he uses it now. This radio (or its virtual twin the 300) made a appearance in the movie "Never Say Never" with Sean Connery.

N0JVT Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2002 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Ok for Casual Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owna DX-302 and while it's not Suited for serious SWl Dx'ing it does a deacent job for listinging to brodcast band wx stations and
casual listining of the ham bands - the tuning takes a little bit of getting used to but after a while it will become 2nd nature.

KG6EJT Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2001 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used in 1987, and I have been very happy with it. Like the later DX-394, people seem to either love or hate this model. Frankly, I think its pretty good, but it does fall short of higher priced Kenwood and Yaesu receivers.

My two biggest complaints are drift(which improves after warm up) and a generally high noise floor. On the latter issue, this is easily fixed by simply decreasing the RF gain knob. I generally keep mine set to about 2/3 to 3/4's from maximum. I have it connected to a random wire antenna of about 20 feet in my attic and that has always worked fine.

Here is a really good site that offers some very useful mods for the radio: http://www.geocities.com/w4jbm/302hints.html

In summary, its not a bad rig. If you can find a clean one on the used market for under $125.00, I'd grab it.