Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | PalStar AT1500CV Help

Reviews Summary for PalStar AT1500CV
PalStar AT1500CV Reviews: 69 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $429.95
Description: Antenna Tuner with CERAMIC roller inductor. 1500 Watt.
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the PalStar AT1500CV.

KU4GW Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2017 21:53 Send this review to a friend
I LOVE IT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my AT1500CV 6 years ago from a ham in Florida who had it posted on a swap.qth.com ad for $300. He said he had never owned a amplifier and that he had never ran more than 100 watts through it and it works fantastic! I haven't encountered a antenna yet that it won't match! Tunes my 260 feet doublet fed with 450 ohm ladder line on all bands 10-160 meters. A friend had told when I bought my Ameritron AL-80B amplifier for me to buy a Palstar antenna tuner and it would be the last antenna tuner I'd ever have to buy and he made a true statement there! I love the thing and got a great deal on this used one. It will remain in my shack from now on!

G4AON Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2017 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Does what it says on the box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ARRL review in 2003 QST mentioned the capacitors as being 240 pF, the one I have shows 315 pF in the manual and tunes the lower end of 80m on a 100 foot doublet easily.

The use of a built in 4:1 Voltage balun is not something that is generally considered good practice these days, the common mode rejection is poor and the step down can make tuning difficult and also increase loss by making a low impedance antenna even lower. My doublet is fed with a home made 1:1 current balun external to the tuner, with this the tuner works fine.

Tuning is smooth and easy and the dual meter is fine for tuning with as little as 10 Watts of drive.

Overall it was a good buy on the second user market, the reason for the 4 rather than 5, is the use of that 4:1 Voltage balun.

G8ITB Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2015 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Grown to hate the 3 controls!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought on of these last year from an SK sale, and found the rotary multi-mode switch rotated continuously without detent or stop! Examination revealed that Palstar failed to realise that a rotary switch frequently has a washer with a lug that is intended to slip into a hole in the mount and lock the mechanism in place. Palstar just put the lug on backwards and failed to make any provision to secure the mechanism of the front wafer - there is a long shaft running back to the rear of the ATU box for other switching. When the mounting washer loosened the whole mechanical assembly and front wafer became free and the wires to the metering box were pulled off the wafer.
A simple fix - though rather fiddly in the combined space - as I actually disassembled the lot and put in a new 'L' shaped and properly drilled mount.
I have since seen this problem occur on a number of Palstar ATUs. (I also own a AT1KP and made a new 'L' bracket for that before any problems).
As for it's ATU function it works without any issues - it's main use is with a modded G5RV with 300 ohm feeder direct to the balanced terminals.
Why the hate - I use the AT1500CV at a holiday cottage - and an AT1KP at home! I've grown to hate the 3rd control on the AT1500CV - it really slows things down! But that's just me being ..... !!
As an ATU it functions perfectly - for my use!

So if you see any Palstar manual ATU going cheap with a spinning main switch - it's a simple fault - but fiddly to repair - well worth the (hopefully) cheap price on the repair shelf!

Richard G8ITB

VE1YY Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2014 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Going Strong in Year 6!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna matching unit, of course, being in the shack, is more of a transmission line - plus - antenna matching unit. We purists might argue, but the fact is the AT-1500CV has served me well for over six years. I opened it today for the first time after ops of up to 1000 watts in casual, contest, and net operations, on CW, digital, and phone modes. She is pristine! The coil and capacitors unsullied. I did a little cleaning, nevertheless, and buttoned her up. I noted that the AMU is ‘BUILT’: anodized aluminum chassis of considerable thickness, high voltage variable capacitors and variable inductor, high voltage antenna switches, robust (and huge) balun for open wire lines, SWR sensor directly connected to the input side and sensed voltages remoted to the front panel, and cover case secured with multiple screws.

I endorse!

VE1YY Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Still GREAT after 6 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna matching unit, of course, being in the shack, is more of a transmission line - plus - antenna matching unit. We purists might argue, but the fact is the AT-1500CV has served me well for over six years. I opened it today for the first time after years of 25, 100, and 1000 watt ops in casual, contest, and net operations, in CW, digital, and phone modes. She was pristine! The coil and capacitors unsullied. I did a little cleaning, nevertheless, and buttoned her up. I noted that the AMU is ‘BUILT’: anodized aluminum chassis of considerable thickness, high voltage variable capacitors and variable inductor, high voltage antenna switches, robust (huge) balun for open wire lines), SWR sensor directly connected to the input side and sensed voltages remoted to the front panel, and cover case secured with multiple screws.

I endorse!

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Do yourself a favor and get one  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine used, scratched up and beat up but when I hooked it up and ran 1kw thru it? WORKED LIKE A DREAM!!! still have it and still kicks a$$.

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchaesed my AT1500CV right at the time when the newer upgraded version was comming out. I use it only to tune a 80 meter rotaing dipole at the high end of 80 meters.

I have had no problem with this tuner. The inductor crank is smooth and very east to turn. The capacitor tuning knobs are geared and very easy to set with fine adjustments.

The switch for the antenna sellection is easy to turn with a positive fell for each setting.

I fell it is very nice for the money I paid.

KJ7GI Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 09:13 Send this review to a friend
A workhorse!  Time owned: more than 12 months

Got my tuner off eBay several years ago and it's never given me a moments worth of trouble. It tunes just about everything I've thrown at it. I've never ran more than 200 watts but have no doubt it would handle high power just fine.
If I ever need another tuner I would certainly look to PalStar first. This is a well made product and everything in the shack that's HF goes through this tuner. A true workhorse!
Mike/KJ7GI

ZL4TE Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 01:29 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Originally wrote my review in the UK as G0SVO.

Still got the same unit, and it is usually run with 500w from an 811 amp.

The unit has never given a moments problem, and I have to say, still looks and feels great after 4 + years of almost daily use and having travelled half way around the world.

Would I recommend Palstar? Without a doubt. This is a class product worth every penny.

G3RXO Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2011 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Impressive service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my AT1500CV some years ago. I had never bought a manufactured ATU before. I selected the AT1500CV from advertisments and reviews as potentially being the best value for money, and I was not dissappointed. It has been of sterling service.

Perhaps the drive shaft gears could offer less nonchalance at 'the point of sale' as it were, and perhaps the turns counter could be illuminated for the same reason that the meter is, but I commend it thoroughly.

Of much importance is the supplier's quality of after service. I recently determined that the roller-coaster in my AT1500CV needed cleaning. Upon revealing the roller I was unsure as to the approved cleaner and lubricant to be employed and so I so e-mailed Palstar for advice, at midday on New Year's Eve, a Friday. I presumed that I was not going to receive a reply until the following week.

Paul Hrivnak the owner of Palstar however replied that same afternoon. He provided advice as to cleaning and lubrication and posted me some spare Palstar lubricant gratis.

It is only Palstar's components that are silvered, their service is gold.