Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | PalStar AT1500CV Help

Reviews Summary for PalStar AT1500CV
PalStar AT1500CV Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $429.95
Description: Antenna Tuner with CERAMIC roller inductor. 1500 Watt.
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the PalStar AT1500CV.

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2008 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Nothing comes Close  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used the Palstar AT1500CV for over 3 years, I am still delighted with the ease of use & ability to match that this atu offers. Build Quality is impressive, right down to the nylon washers used to prevent the screws that hold the lid on the main case to prevent scratching.

The slow motion drives & Roller Coaster Inductor all add up to make tuning so much easier than other atu's I've used from Starkville.

I made myself a tuning chart for the shack wall. This gives me somewhere to start tuning & using the chart I can quickly tune any of the antennas here.

There are probably only 2 features I'd like to see on this atu that would give it a 6 out of 5 if fitted.
Firstly, it would have been nice to have a through position when using balanced line feeder.
Secondly, the ability to run a second radio, or an analyser for tuning would have been a nice addition.

All in all, a great atu that hopefully will serve me for many years to come.

M0VEY - Phil

GW4JKR Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2007 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Quality made excellent robust matching unit, Purchased in 2003, In use almost every day
GW4JKR

KE5OFJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2007 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Well made.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looks good, nice feel to the controls. I just wish the meter was a tad larger.

Highly recommended.

KB3IFH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2007 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for 3 years now and it has worked perfectly. Has been a great purchase. Very well built! Can't wait to get the new auto tuner.

VK5KLT Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2007 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer and value for money tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Palstar AT1500CV exudes quality and attention to detail in both its design and build implementation. The heavy duty tuner components are housed in a sturdy heavy-gauge aluminum chemically treated finnish chassis and painted top cover, while the front panel is powder coated and epoxy screened. The wide air gap spacing variable capacitors are silky smooth to operate via their vernier reduction drives and large knobs. A quality and generously rated ceramic wafer switch is used for the antenna selection. The rear panel SO-239 connectors are quality teflon insulator dielectric type with gold-plated centre pins, while nylon stand-off terminal posts are used for the balanced and the end-fed wire antenna connections. The tuner's internal wiring is very neatly executed.

The silver plated roller inductor coil and contact wheel has a smooth tactile feel over the whole of its range of travel with an accurate positive indexing turns-counter with minimal backlash for achieving excellent setting precision and tuning repeatability. The crank handle has a good gearing ratio.

The tuner shows no signs whatseoever of any stress when running at the rated 1.2 kW level single tone continuous / average power for extended periods; and does not complain when temporarily driven above this power.

The front panel Wattmeter readings correlate well with my Bird Model 43. I have only one criticism; it may have been prudent for the AT1500CV designers to have chosen a 2 kW FSD meter calibration rather than have a wattmeter scale suggestive of a tuner having 3 kW pretentions. While conservatively built, it's definitely a 1500 W PEP tuner; and a robust and reliable one at that.

All in all, a most excellent antenna tuner of above average build quality that is well priced and easily capable of matching, with a low insertion loss, most practical / sensible antenna impedances. I'm delighted with the model choice and expect the Palstar unit will provide many years of reliable service.

73.

Leigh
VK5KLT

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2007 10:19 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked this unit up used.
I have had a number of tuners since my return to ham radio which included the Dentron MT-3000, the Heathkit 2060 and an MFJ 986. I have also had some I would rather not mention in my time.
This tuner far exceeds my expectations.
I purchased this one used from AES. I wanted to replace the meter as it would not mechanically zero on the reflected side only. I know I am a bit picky.
I would also like to mention that I got great service from Palstar on the delivery of the new meter.
I already knew that this was a very smooth tuning unit as compared to others I have owned and used at others stations.
But to my surprise when I opened the unit up I found very high quality parts and workmanship had been used in the construction of this tuner.
You get what you pay for and this is proof of it.

NE4EB Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2007 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The AT1500CV tunes my 300 ft. loop antenna (fed with 450 Ohm Line) on all amateur frequencies from 1.8 MHz to 54 Mhz. with ease. I don't run QRO on 6-meters because the tuner is not designed for 6-meters, but it tunes 100 W flat across the band. The build quality is the finest of any antenna tuner now offered for sale. The manual is well written. As a bonus, the tuner is just plain sexy. No regrets and highly recommended.

W7VI Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2007 14:45 Send this review to a friend
great engineering  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Palstar AT1500CV as a replacement tuner. I have used it for about 6 month. I have two operational turners the TEN-TED 3KV tuner and the palstar both are great tuners. I am using the Palstar with my Orion and it does a great job in tuning my antennas. I have a 80 and 40 mtr monoband Bazookas and a five band Hex Beam. the Palstar handles the tuning process with ease. The tuner has great quality and engineering behind along with a great warranty package. I recommend that ever ham shack have a least one of thes tuners in operation. Palstar has put the quality back into Amateur equipment.

N2JXN Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2007 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the at1500cv since christmas. Great product. Had a MFJ 989C for quite a few years. But have gotten a Alpha 76a so I can run som power now. Well the Mfj just could not take it at 400 to 500 I would arc the caps and inductor. When I got the at1500cv what a diference. With the alpha I have pushed 2KW by accident a few times with no arcing or any thing. I tune all of the wire antennas which i have 3. G5RV for 80 thru 10, BWD90 for 160 thru 10, JC Triband for 80 40 and 160. Each one faces a different direction. The construction is good what I would expect and the support is great.

GW4ZRK Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2006 15:16 Send this review to a friend
tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought the palstar at1500cv from Vinecomm in the uk - the writing started to come off ? like chalk - sent an email to Ron @ vinecomm he in return sent it on to palstar ,result getting a new front panel from Palstar. cracking tuner - by the way i sent an email to palstar telling them of this problem ? up to now no answer from them? i am positive i sent it in ENGLISH and not WELSH ?
Hwyl o Gymru