Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | PalStar AT1500CV Help

Reviews Summary for PalStar AT1500CV
PalStar AT1500CV Reviews: 69 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $429.95
Description: Antenna Tuner with CERAMIC roller inductor. 1500 Watt.
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the PalStar AT1500CV.

W4MCX Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 06:44 Send this review to a friend
what a great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 1500 (can be viewed on QRZ)is an original...I have had some rf problems and had to repair the tuner twice...Paul was exceptional with online emailing and even sent me some parts..The tuner is wonderful both coax and twin lead connected..The service and tech support are just great..But I still donot know the value of the crossover diodes. Does anyone out there? radio4mike@bellsouth.net
W4MCX

KJ7GI Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2009 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

Buy one of these used before you purchase anything new from MFJ. I've had several MFJ tuners and there's no comparison. Palstar wins hands down.
The AT1500CV tunes my full wave loop (7mhz) anywhere I take it...160 thru 10 meters. It's also pretty beefy..doesn't tend to move around as you're tuning.
I would recommend this tuner without hesitation. Mike/KJ7GI

KG8JF Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2008 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Right good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
My tuner is part of the configuration of my stattion running a Tentec Orion and a Carolina Windom. This would be a 5 but I had several occasions where the coupling(mechanical)for the roller inductor shaft loosened up. I think the last time I fixed it Paul offered to replace the coupling with a universal. I did not want to be without the tuner for any length of time so I tightened it up myself with the provided allen wrench. I may have put locktite of some sort on it. I would buy again.

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2008 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Nothing comes Close  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used the Palstar AT1500CV for over 3 years, I am still delighted with the ease of use & ability to match that this atu offers. Build Quality is impressive, right down to the nylon washers used to prevent the screws that hold the lid on the main case to prevent scratching.

The slow motion drives & Roller Coaster Inductor all add up to make tuning so much easier than other atu's I've used from Starkville.

I made myself a tuning chart for the shack wall. This gives me somewhere to start tuning & using the chart I can quickly tune any of the antennas here.

There are probably only 2 features I'd like to see on this atu that would give it a 6 out of 5 if fitted.
Firstly, it would have been nice to have a through position when using balanced line feeder.
Secondly, the ability to run a second radio, or an analyser for tuning would have been a nice addition.

All in all, a great atu that hopefully will serve me for many years to come.

M0VEY - Phil

GW4JKR Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2007 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Quality made excellent robust matching unit, Purchased in 2003, In use almost every day
GW4JKR

KE5OFJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2007 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Well made.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looks good, nice feel to the controls. I just wish the meter was a tad larger.

Highly recommended.

KB3IFH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2007 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for 3 years now and it has worked perfectly. Has been a great purchase. Very well built! Can't wait to get the new auto tuner.

VK5KLT Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2007 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer and value for money tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Palstar AT1500CV exudes quality and attention to detail in both its design and build implementation. The heavy duty tuner components are housed in a sturdy heavy-gauge aluminum chemically treated finnish chassis and painted top cover, while the front panel is powder coated and epoxy screened. The wide air gap spacing variable capacitors are silky smooth to operate via their vernier reduction drives and large knobs. A quality and generously rated ceramic wafer switch is used for the antenna selection. The rear panel SO-239 connectors are quality teflon insulator dielectric type with gold-plated centre pins, while nylon stand-off terminal posts are used for the balanced and the end-fed wire antenna connections. The tuner's internal wiring is very neatly executed.

The silver plated roller inductor coil and contact wheel has a smooth tactile feel over the whole of its range of travel with an accurate positive indexing turns-counter with minimal backlash for achieving excellent setting precision and tuning repeatability. The crank handle has a good gearing ratio.

The tuner shows no signs whatseoever of any stress when running at the rated 1.2 kW level single tone continuous / average power for extended periods; and does not complain when temporarily driven above this power.

The front panel Wattmeter readings correlate well with my Bird Model 43. I have only one criticism; it may have been prudent for the AT1500CV designers to have chosen a 2 kW FSD meter calibration rather than have a wattmeter scale suggestive of a tuner having 3 kW pretentions. While conservatively built, it's definitely a 1500 W PEP tuner; and a robust and reliable one at that.

All in all, a most excellent antenna tuner of above average build quality that is well priced and easily capable of matching, with a low insertion loss, most practical / sensible antenna impedances. I'm delighted with the model choice and expect the Palstar unit will provide many years of reliable service.

73.

Leigh
VK5KLT

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2007 10:19 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked this unit up used.
I have had a number of tuners since my return to ham radio which included the Dentron MT-3000, the Heathkit 2060 and an MFJ 986. I have also had some I would rather not mention in my time.
This tuner far exceeds my expectations.
I purchased this one used from AES. I wanted to replace the meter as it would not mechanically zero on the reflected side only. I know I am a bit picky.
I would also like to mention that I got great service from Palstar on the delivery of the new meter.
I already knew that this was a very smooth tuning unit as compared to others I have owned and used at others stations.
But to my surprise when I opened the unit up I found very high quality parts and workmanship had been used in the construction of this tuner.
You get what you pay for and this is proof of it.

NE4EB Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2007 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The AT1500CV tunes my 300 ft. loop antenna (fed with 450 Ohm Line) on all amateur frequencies from 1.8 MHz to 54 Mhz. with ease. I don't run QRO on 6-meters because the tuner is not designed for 6-meters, but it tunes 100 W flat across the band. The build quality is the finest of any antenna tuner now offered for sale. The manual is well written. As a bonus, the tuner is just plain sexy. No regrets and highly recommended.