Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station Help

Reviews Summary for Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station
Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station Reviews: 21 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $350
Description: Multi-featured weather station with hard wired remote sensors

You can write your own review of the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station.

K4CMC Rating: 0/5 Jun 12, 2017 15:08 Send this review to a friend
High priced junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is basically an overpriced, underengineered piece of junk. The wind cups are flimsy and about the size of your thumb and the cable connections are unreliable. The big bad wolf, even with emphysema, could easily blow the cups off of the unit much less the 60 MPH plus winds I get on top of my ridge. When I bought one at Dayton a number of years ago I took it out of the box and hooked it up back at my motel room and realized it was junk. It also immediately went into failure mode with intermittent connections at the junction box. Luckily they were still at their booth and I returned it for a refund. Don't waste good money on this item. Get a reliable WX unit like those made by Davis Instruments.

DK3NG Rating: 1/5 Dec 16, 2008 08:56 Send this review to a friend
An unreliable useless toy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Issues experienced are anemometers cups breaking off (replacements excpensive) and unreliable RJ connectors giving constant contact problems.

I consider this weather station to be useful only when it works, which is rarely the case.

W3LK Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2008 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Interesting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a 2000 for 8 years with the original anemometer and never suffered any of the problems mention by the previous poster, and that includes riding out two hurricanes that passed through Baltimore.

Last year, I upgraded to the 2100 display and the Pro anemometer. The pro is very heavy duty and I can't imagine the cups coming loose.

N6JSX Rating: 1/5 Jul 8, 2008 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Not for SkyWarn mobile OPS  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are two significant WX issues with "all" PEET models.

1. Anemometer cup/arm easily come unattached or break. So far every year I must replace at least one cup/arm on my PEET. The cup design is the issue in not accommodating changing wind directions on the cups that create twisting forces to the arm-cup connection point - allowing the cup to twist off the arm.
Fix is: eliminate arms - attach the cup directly to the rotating disk, then use plenty of plastic to reinforce the cup to disk connection interface that will help reduce any twist torquing of the cup. This fix would also eliminate the lame arm attachment connection used on the Peets.

[Ask yourself how many times do you want to climb up on the roof/tower to replace anemometer cup/arms? Plus you must order the replacement cups while the #1 purpose of the WX station is DOWN. Also if you want to fix the sensor on the ground you must pull (and then restring) the signal cable as there is no water proof connector at the senor!]

2. Display of wind speed requires staying in Anemometer/wind speed screen ONLY. Lacks constant wind speed display, eliminating the ability for users to scan screens while maintaining observation on current wind speed changes. (Davis has 100% wind speed display no matter what screen the user selects/scans).

3. Barometric pressure screen is lame/useless.

Not good for use as a SkyWarn WX station - Davis is far better but Peet is still better than Oregon Scientific WX junk.

WB4CRC Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2008 18:51 Send this review to a friend
good unit-good review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for several years and find it to be accurate and reliable. I received it as a gift and did not install it right away. I had misplaced my installation booklet. I called the manufacturer and was immediately connected to a very helpful individual who responded to my every question in a very polite and professional manner. Installation and operation are very straight forward and I'm happy with both
the unit and the company.

K1SMM Rating: 3/5 Mar 21, 2008 18:33 Send this review to a friend
OK but at what price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would just like to say that the pricing of this unit is totally out of line. I would like to add a humidiy sensor and the "Weather Picture" readout, but can in no way justify the expense. LED readouts are, after all, not rocket science.

N3DG3 Rating: 0/5 Jul 25, 2007 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable, Overpriced Junk with Lousy Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many others, I found the Peet Ultimeter 2000 to be an expensive "lemon".

After unpacking and installing a new Ultimeter 2000, the wind sensor died in just a few days, with erroneous readings from low RF transmissions (so they can sell you their expensive RF filter option), and with an intermittent power supply, intermittent memories, and poor overall material and quality. Alleged customer service was unresponsive.

The Peet Ultimeter 2000 was a big waste of money costing hundreds of dollars, unreliable, incomplete (lacks RF filters and with many expensive options), and of poor quality. I am very glad to use a cheap, reliable and more feature-packed AccuRite Wireless Weather Station for ONLY $75 TOTAL from WalMart which survives the storms and keeps going.

K5ADF Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2006 23:11 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Ultimeter 2000 at Dayton in 2000. The wind sensor is mounted on my tower at about 30 feet. The tower is dedicated to VHF/UHF. I have a ground mounted Hustler 5BTV vertical about 10 feet from the tower which I use for 80/75/40 with a power output of up to 500 watts. I have another tower with a A3S beam 70 feet away. The ultimeter is mounted in the shack and the outdoor sensors feed in through the same entrance as all of the coaxial cables including HF. The temperature, humidity and rain gauge are mounted on the house within 5 feet of the tower. I have not had the RFI problems reported on this website.

I have only had problems with the wind sensor in that I have had to replace it every two years. I send it in for repair and have always had prompt service and return. I purchased a spare unit so that I only have to climb the tower one time to replace it. I had to send the rain gauge in for repair last year since the electronics had been burned out. Again I had no problem with getting it repaired in a reasonable amount of time.

I am pleased with the operation of my weather station to date. I have the weather picture, a rather fancy display for my shack. I have not had a problem with it. I upgraded to the Ultimeter 2100 which also has been problem free.

I live in a moderate climate (San Antonio) and have not had to deal with a more harsh environment (e.g. snow, freezing). The unit performs well for me and would recommend it to others.

KA3UIX Rating: 0/5 Nov 9, 2006 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced & Unreliable Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
The wind sensor, like many others have reported, died in a few days. The power jack from the AC Adapter into the junction box, was intermittent and barely made connection; and Peet tech support admitted having this as a common defect in the past. The quality of the instruments and cables are poor. And the systems is was way overpriced. You can buy a more complete, reliable, fuller-featured, wireless weather station at WalMart for $80 in the AccuRite (add only $20 more for a wireless rain gauge) instead of the headaches of Peet's overpriced junk.

W3AB Rating: 1/5 Apr 18, 2006 14:00 Send this review to a friend
customer support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have four Peet 2000 WX stations which I am rather happy with. I experienced a failure with the wind sensors at my most remote site. I called tech support and left a number. I wanted all the info when I went to troubleshoot hanging on a tower.

It's been a week, no assistance. I was able to go up today but since I had no data, my trip was pretty much a bust.

I'm not a happy camper.