Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station Help

Reviews Summary for Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station
Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station Reviews: 20 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $350
Description: Multi-featured weather station with hard wired remote sensors

You can write your own review of the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000 Weather Station.

N3ZKP Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2003 16:50 Send this review to a friend
No Problems I couldn't cure  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike the previous poster, I have had little problem with my 2000.

The sensors are less than 50 feet from my antenna farm and the only rf problem I had was cured by a current balun on the Butternut vertical. I normally run 100w but often run 600-750w if trying break pilups or being net control on my MARS nets. The control panel is two feet from the amp and rig.

While you do have to do a short initial setup, it takes less than three minutes. You can program a rotating look at virtually all the various data indicators. I normally rotate wind speed, temp, bp and rainfall.

All in all, it's a great little weather station and if properly installed works well in a ham shack.

K1UHF Rating: 3/5 Sep 5, 2003 16:35 Send this review to a friend
OK but not for a ham.  Time owned: more than 12 months
While it appears to be relatively accurate weather station I would not buy one if you operate HF. It will lock up when operating HF especially on 80 meters. I have the wind sensor 60' up my tower with my 80 meter dipole completely the other side of the property and the Peet is not in my station.

It wouldn't be so bad when it locks up except that it requires a very tedious setup. You must know when leap year and the barometric readings from the local airport to reprogram it.

Peet was not helpful with this problem. They said if I purchased the optional RF filter for $30 and it did not work, they would not take it back, the had no other suggestion.

You might also consider that the 2000 cannot display everything at once like a Davis. You have to go over to it and press buttons

K8TL Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2003 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Some RFI  Time owned: more than 12 months
Every thing on HF locked it up. I installed several filters of my own on all the leads.
After a talk with the factory I installed their filter it helped. Just can't tame it on 12 M or RTTY 20/10 meters with the KW. It locks up and I have to disconnect power and remove the back up battery for a few minutes. Then reset everything.

N0OQA Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2002 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Wx Station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run Wx APRS 24 hours a day 365 days a year… I tried the Radio Shack Wx station but had to return it twice, had problems with cable length limits, and the Baro was inaccurate… I switched to the Ultimeter 2000 with heated sensors and it has run without any problems continuously for over 3 years… I run the ground, 2 coax cables, and the Ultimeter 2000 data cables all through the same wall pass-through with NO RF problems… I just ordered the heated solid state rain gauge (looking forward to installing it in the summer)… The heated wind sensor freezes-up only under the worst sleet and freezing rain Minnesota can throw at it… I am a Skywarn instructor and when students ask me about weather stations I refer to the Ultimeter 2000 as good equipment for a good price based upon my personal experience… I also recommend the Ultimeter 2000 for those interested in getting into Wx APRS also based upon my personal experience with its reliability…

W7UJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2002 23:55 Send this review to a friend
No better WX station out there!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this weather station installed for 4 years with no problems. It works great, accurate readings, no rf problems in a QRO environment. I look forward to adding the Weather Picture soon. I have alot of friends with both the Radio Shack and the Davis units and they have either upgraded or will be upgrading to the Peet 2000. It is a great addition to any first class ham shack. I am perplexed by the negative reviews but I would buy another without hesitation.

K7WWA Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2002 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Mine works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading the negative reviews concerning the Peet Brothers weather stations I decided to share my experiences with the unit. In 1997 I decided to install a weather station at my repeater site. After looking around at the different stations that were available I selected the Peet Brothers U-2000 with the optional WxVox speech unit. I installed the system in December of 1997 and it is still in service. The repeater site is located at 3300¡¦ in Northern California. I have seen all sorts of weather conditions at the site, wind, rain, snow, ice and even some sun ƒº.

RF at the site, you be the judge. There are 3 100-watt voice repeaters in the building, 6 meters, 2 meters and UHF. In addition to the voice repeaters, I have operated several packet stations; at one time there were three 2-meter nodes, a 220 node and an UHF node. There is a 50-watt FM Broadcast translator in the building with runs 24 hours a day. The wind speed/direction sensor is located at the 50¡¦ level on the north side of the tower, the FM translator transmitting antennas are also at the 50¡¦ level but on the south side of the tower.

Since I was installing the weather station in a RF environment I ordered the optional RF filter assemblies that are available from Peet Brothers. Any time you run wires to wind sensors, rain gauges, stereo speakers or any other device that is in an RF environment it WILL act as an antenna. It is up to you to reduce the effect of RF energy induced into the wires by the proper use of filters. Another method is using wireless technology to interconnect your equipment.

I will not try to tell you that the system has been 100% trouble free. When I have had problems, Jim Stewart, from Technical Support, has taken care of them quickly and professionally. For example, one day I noticed that the wind speed sensor was reporting no wind but I knew that was wrong. I drove to the repeater site and found that one of the wind cups was missing. I don¡¦t know why but one was gone, did something hit it and knock it out? I called Tech Support and in a couple of days I had a new set of cups and I was back in business. On the down side there are some features that I wish I could change or select, mostly with the WxVox unit. I know of weather stations that would allow me to set things up exactly as I want but they cost a lot more money (can you say thousands of dollars?).

Over all I am very satisfied with the Peet Brothers U-2000 weather station. Installed properly there should be no problems with RF. If we, as amateur radio operators, install anything in or around our transmitters or antennas we must consider the effects of RF energy.

George
K7WWA

AD4DN Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2002 14:25 Send this review to a friend
The 10 plus systems I have are great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I maintain 10 plus systems which are comprised of 2000 systems with modems for polling weather information.

The can be found on the internet "http://ilmwx.inttek.net". They have not been perfect though I have never owned anything that was.

Three of these systems have the Weather Picture attached. Three are connected to repeaters also.

The majority of the problems I have encountered have been due to my own mistakes (wiring problems, software, etc). Peet Brothers technical support staff have bent over backwards to assist me with my problems. Even at times with issues unrelated to their product!

Several issues and hints to help you out:

1. Put timers on your modems to cycle the power when they lock up. Noisy phone lines don't work for your internet connection either.

2. Put the wall transformer on a protected AC source. Nothing likes lightning surges and Peet Products are no exception.

3. Don't expect them to work properly next to an antenna radiating 1.5 kw (or more) rf. Mine at home is about 15' from both of my hf dipoles. Full legal limit Alpha 87A doesn't effect it. If your antenna is not resonant the weather station is not the only system affected.

4. Got rf problems use some elementary cures - chokes, grounding, etc.

5. Something I still have problems with is to look for the simple unexpected problem. Corroded connection (these are low voltage systems), tampering (several of my systems are in fire departments),etc.

Peet has also been very good about support with systems that have been found defective. Save yourself some time and go through your trouble shooting before sending the system off. It is embarasing to have it returned with nothing found only to find out a cable plug was not seated correctly or something else of that nature.

Bill AD4DN
EC New Hanover County ARES
Wilmington, NC

N0AH Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2002 00:06 Send this review to a friend
junked-  Time owned: more than 12 months
My unit suffered from RFI effecting the display, static charge damage, and an outside anometer that fell apart after a couple of years. My Davis weather unit III also suffered from similar problems- I replaced them both with the Radio Shack 433MHz cable free unit- So far, so good- no RFI thus far in 6 months, from 1.8MHz to 435MHz, on the Radio Shack display. Peet Brother's unit was an RFI sponge-

KA1RI Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2002 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Arf ! What a dog!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our government agency bought 2 of these turkeys and the "Weather Picture" frame for one. The system needs constant repair and we've actually had to canabalize the uninstalled one to keep the other going. Sent both the frame readout and the LCD box back to Peet twice for repairs, but it just keeps losing settings, hanging up, and in other ways, not working. We recently bought a new Davis ($499 from AES, $569 from Davis) and are very happy with it so far. It works.

WB4OSS Rating: 2/5 Nov 27, 2001 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Choose another brand!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this weather station for 3 years and have had numerous problems. At first it was variation of remote temperature readings, Later, it was multiple failures of the remote humidity sensor; at first replacements were readily available, then the unit had to be returned for service. Recently, it has become sensitive to RF on 18mhz and often must be powered off and the batteries removed to recover it's operation. Of course, this dumps the memories and the settings.
The rain guage worked well at first, but varies widely from conventional guages in the past year.
I would recommend your look for another brand like Davis, if you want a reliable weather station.