Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Tempo S1 Help

Reviews Summary for Tempo S1
Tempo S1 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $349.00
Description: VHF synthesized Handheld

You can write your own review of the Tempo S1.

KC2VDM Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 14:39 Send this review to a friend
great, easy to fix, and great audio!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just got a tempo s1 at a local hamfest for $15! it didn't work at the time, so i took it apart and noticed the battery had partially leaked. i found a manual online, and noticed the voltage was supposed to be 9.6 vdc. i swapped it with a 9v battery, i didnt work. i went to bed. the next morning i took another look inside, and noticed the ground wire (black) was loose. as soon as i touched it to the solder it went to on the board, the radio came to life! i soldered it in, put it back together, and tested it. after a little use, receive worked great!tx didnt work, but +600 worked. i jiggled the switch on back for 10 minutes, and tx worked!DTMF also worked now!

though it may only be 1.5 watt, used a crappy battery, no ctcss, and have an odd antenna connector, it is still a great simplex radio. i will certainly buy another!

WA6PEW Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2009 09:58 Send this review to a friend
S-5 Mint Condition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these in mint condition. I found it at a "civilian" swap meet for $6. It was my second HT. First one was a Standard C156 or something like that.

It just needed a battery. It does have one other problem. It's about 1kc low. Does anyone know where I can get new crystals for this rig? I have the manual somewhere but I'm not sure if the xtal freqs are listed. I guess I could change the warping caps. Has anyone done this?
Rudy

KC0MNM Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2006 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Overall dependable HT.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am into vintage gear. Several HT's I've invested in have not held up well. I currently have two working Tempo S-1's and one for parts. The Tempo's seem to be like the Energizer bunny. They keep working and working and working. I was able to get some NiMH batteries for them and they can go for a long time between charges.

Of course, they are very basic with no CTCSS encoding on them, but where I live, I don't really need it.

Once in a great while, one of the HT's doesn't do the -600 kHz shift for repeater use, but I just shift it to simplex and then back and it works.

Very basic with the thumb wheel input, but very little to go wrong.

I'm like a previous reviewer in thinking there should be a discussion group for this radio. Great little, reliable rig!

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2005 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Real good basic HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my S1 back in 1980 and still have it. It was my primary HT for almost 20 years. Went through two sets of batteries in 20 plus years. I don't use it any more because I don't know where I can get a battery for it. I use a VX-150 now which I really like. There was nothing simpler than the S1 though. I gave it a "5" for what is was then (in the 80's) and its long term reliability. Of course against todays HT's it is really a 2 or 3 or so now. They were really good HT's

WM5E Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2005 22:06 Send this review to a friend
It always worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was my first HT also, and I spent hours and hours on it. I could always tell when the battery was getting low by the little "Ping" tone.
I didn't even need to ID, everyone knew it was me.
I wish I still had it. It lasted through repeated drops, rain and 18 million thumbwheel QSYs.
WM5E

W4HWD Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2005 20:00 Send this review to a friend
My 1st HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was my 1st HT when I was first licensed in '89. It was a great little HT! Destroyed it when I tried to charge the battery with a homebrew charger! The battery sizzled and leaked all over the inside! It's a classic now - if I hadn't wrecked mine I would have kept it!

KI4CH Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2003 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Tempo S1  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Tempo S1 was my 1st HT. It was the hotttest
going HT in its time. I wish I still had it. I do have a Tempo S2 the 220 Mhz HT and works good.

Paul KI4CH

KA1BTI Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2003 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Not forgotten  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HT that started it all! A revolutionary handheld in it's time, now all but forgotten with the advent of scanning and CTSS. These were serious handhelds, actually a rugged design,(even by today's standards), and a great receiver. Don't try plugging in a speaker mic, the right jack on top is actually for an external antenna! Also a "proprietary" threaded socket for the rubber duck. I'll keep mine and shake off the dust now and then for a return to the 'golden age' of 2 meter FM!

N9FDE Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2003 17:41 Send this review to a friend
just fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, heres the deal......
I have owned S1's sence I was a kid...The S1 was the very first HT I ever owned I have 2 of them right now....Their great little beater ht's they talk well sound good have great recivers...
Thing is, Right now im looking for another one... I need one for parts as one of mine has a problem...So, If anyone who is reading this has an old one laying around gathering dust let me know...(N9FDE@aol.com)

FUZZYMCNAB Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2002 01:06 Send this review to a friend
I can't be the only one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know there are a bunch of us guys who own and love the s1's. We need to find or make a forum to share our info.