Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | Skyscan Atomic Moon Phase Clock Help

Description: Provides WWVB radio-controlled time, date, time zone,
moon phase, and indoor temperature(C or F). 12/24
hour time and UTC/GMT option settings. Wall or desk
use and 2" LCD time digits. Uses two AA batteries and
measures: 10.5"H, 9.5"W, 1" D overall.
More info: http://www.skyscan.info

You can write your own review of the Skyscan Atomic Moon Phase Clock.

VICSTER Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2002 23:41 Send this review to a friend
whooohooohooo!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As of 11:30ish last night, the clock has been working. I felt so confident that I even hung it on the wall. My son pointed out that since we've never had to set the cable clock, and that it's so exact to the one on the wall, possibly the cable unit has an atomic clock in it, also. But, I still love this thing. I've considered getting one for my desk and definately will get one for my parents.

Thanks for the reviews, people. I haven't heard from anyone since my last review (yeah, it's only been a day, but I'm used to quick replies on my other forums). I hope I didn't offend anyone declaring I didn't like ham. I'm not an animal activist, either, if that's what you thought. I just don't like the greasy taste (and I keep a close eye on my weight). So, no hard feelings?

VICSTER Rating: 3/5 Nov 20, 2002 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Jury's still out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, all. Forgive me for not liking ham. I'm a veggie person, myself, but we can all still get along, right? I found my way in here through google after buying an atomic clock today and read some reviews in here about your experiences.

Mine didn't set right away...ok,ok, it hasn't set YET. At one point, it looked like it was trying. It started flashing numbers like a count-down (count-up?) but then I could swear it wiped its brow, said "whew, THIS is hard!" and went back to dashes.

I decided to do its job for it (story of my life...people give up and I'm left doing the job) and I set the clock...just to see if it was even capible of keeping time. I considered returning it tomorrow (hey, there are MUCH cooler clocks out there I can set myself) but because of a previous review (forgive me for not remembering names, but, you're all still cool), I'm patiently waiting until midnight to see if it sets on its own. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another sea monkey disappointment.

My main problem was that the clock displayed the month of march when I had entered the complete date. But, after fiddling with it, I pulled out the directions (why does English always have to be the last language I find?), I discovered I was looking at Tuesday in a different language.

My particular model (also purchased at Sam's Club for $14) is a cool powderblue. My hubby wanted to get the wooden outdoor temp type, but I told him we had the internet to check the outdoor temp. He explained that we could also use the computer to check the TIME. I gave him a look. Noticing he was in a public place that echoed, he added, "but that would be too much trouble".

OK, so I have the clock set, I'm going on mapquest soon to determine where Ft. Collins Colorado is in relationship to our house. I moved it off the Entertainment center since the instructions said it had to be 6 feet away from computers and electronics receiving signals.

I want to get one for my great aunt in a mobile home. Does this thing receive signals through tin, you suppose? It'd be perfect for her since she wouldn't have to set it and reset it. Her eyes, shakiness, and basic confusion makes tiny tasks like this difficult. But, it would be too confusing for her if it didn't work. She lives on the East coast. Some of you seem to know quite a bit about these clocks, so I thought asking in here would result in a more honest answer rather than a place that's trying to sell these.

Thanks for your input. If I don't get a signal tonight (I'll know because I set the hour several hours ahead), then, I'm taking it back (or wrapping it as a Christmas gift).

K8OEX Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2002 11:45 Send this review to a friend
My Atomic Clocks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought 3 clocks all from Sam's. One is a moon phase and the other two have the outdoor temp function. The outdoor temp function went out on one of them. At $20 and $25 these are in the disposable class. I have noticed that here in central Florida the received signal indication has gone out for several days at a time. BTW I also have purchased two analog clocks and a digital watch, all Atomic type. One of the analog clocks died--It indicated minutes and seconds ok but the hour was never right. I just replaced the battery in the watch after two years.

KB2HGL Rating: 2/5 Nov 5, 2002 07:05 Send this review to a friend
My Skyscan 86722  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine at SAMs for $24.95, I had problems with it receiving the signal, it finally did. It worked great for 1 day then I noticed it did not show the ICON for receiving the signal. Two days have passed and it still does not show, what should i do. By the way mine does not show the moon, it does have the remote temp sensor.

FISH Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2002 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Not satisfied with signal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my clock at Sam's for $20. I initially did not receive signal by putting batteries in. Then I read instructions that read to take batteries out, push buttons on reverse until display fades then reinsert batteries & face NW. I got a signal which lasted from 8/21/02 until daylight savings time change. the signal receiver indicator went out & I can not get it to reset again. I am returning the clock. I don't need the aggravation.

K4OM Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2002 15:04 Send this review to a friend
not bad!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought two of the inside-outside temp version and found that both clocks work with the same outside sensor. Time changed ok for DST/Standard time and there has been no problem with synch.
Got mine at Sam's club

WWHODFC Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2002 04:33 Send this review to a friend
Had to return two times  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a really cool gadget, I like knowing the exact time and use it to set all my other clocks.
BUT........
I had to return two of them before I got one that worked correctly, and there is still one bug that all of them have!
The first one worked great for two days before it freaked out and started re-setting itself and displaying random garbage. I would take the batteries out wait 30 secs then back in (clock first, then remote temp sensor like the book says) and five minutes later it would freak out again.
The second one didn't freak out but the only way I could get it to sync was to hold it up in the middle of the yard facing Colorado (not a handy mounting location!) I gave it three days to sync trying it in different rooms with little success.
The third one so far has been working correctly mounted on the wall wear I want it, but there is one problem I did not mention yet that all of them had.
The indoor temp display every now and then will jump to a fixed temperature that is obviously wrong and stay there (sometimes up to five mins) this obviously wrong temperature is always the same my new one jumps to 81.4F (this does not happen all of the time and seems to be a sort of random event) some of your clocks may be doing this too and you just never happen to look at it when it is screwing up. At least it is a fixed temperature and fairly easy to tell it's wrong when the display jumps from 73F to 81F and I feel no change in temp then it jumps back to 73F.
After taking all the bad points into consideration, I still think it's a great product, but quality control must be some kind of myth to this company!

WP4JMN Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2002 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent buy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one of these clocks at my local Sam's for $9. I liked the looks and the big numerals which makes it very easy to read from across a room. Living in Puerto Rico, I didn't expected it to synchronize to WWVB but it did! So I decided to return the next day and got a couple more for home and to give to friends. Whoever designed the display logic did the moon backwards (black when full, white when new) but other than that I'm very happy with my unit.

PSR47 Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2002 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Need new outdoor transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my Skyscan Atomic Clock with indoor/outdoor temp and many other features. My problem, like that shown by CPCP38 below is that the transmitter for outdoor temp no longer works, even after replacing the batteries. Does anyone know how to secure a replacement for it?

TCWILLIS2 Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2002 02:47 Send this review to a friend
love it but can't get day of week in..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i am having trouble getting the day of the week to come up on the face..just bought it yesterday at sam's..i have another one 2 years old and works fine..