Reviews Categories | Microphones | MXL 2001 Help

Reviews Summary for MXL 2001
MXL 2001 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $169
Description: Condenser pressure gradient mic with large 25mm diaphragm capsu
More info: http://www.mxlmics.com/

You can write your own review of the MXL 2001.

M0ODV Rating: 3/5 Sep 6, 2016 00:44 Send this review to a friend
cheaper substitute  Time owned: more than 12 months
Too much money for what its worth.

The circuit is nearly identical to that of the Apex430
Nady scm900
CAD Audio C400S
MXL V57
Audix CX-111 and other cheap LDC's.

The Fame studio CO5 is the cheapest equivelent to the MXL2001 its identical and for £35 or $46 USD it beats the $100 MXL2001.

These aforementioned mics are great for modding,changing the gold sputtered diaphragm and changing out the caps to high grade audio polypropylene.

RARSHOW Rating: 3/5 Sep 5, 2005 12:39 Send this review to a friend
All right Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the MXL 2001 for about 3 years now. I use it to record my internet show. For the money, it's an excellent recording mic. The only problem with it (and other cheap condenser mics) is that the sibalance range is emphasized...and it's harsh.

If you talk off-axis a bit, it'll be less harsh but you'll also lose that crisp sound that I love with this mic. With a de-esser in the chain this shouldn't be a problem but I don't own one so I can't say for sure. What I do know is this:

I had a radio pro show me how to use this thing properly and I now have it sounding great every time. It's very directionally sensitive and if you're not spot on every time your sound gets colored. But when you have it just right it's awesome. Unfortunately, it picks up every little detail (spit noises, ugh).

The mic also makes for a good overhead on a drum kit and acoustic guitar pickup.

This mic has fell out of the shockmount a few times (it wasn't in tight enough, my mistake...not the equipments) and it lived outdoors in humidity for a summer or two. It's still going strong.

If I had to do it over again, I would have saved up for a Shure SM7, Sennheiser 420 or Electro Voice RE20. But for my budget and needs at the time (multiple mics on the cheap) I think I did good.

My setup is the MXL 2001, MXL 603s, Shure SM58, ElectroVoice Cobalt 4 running into a Behringer Eurorack 1604A. RCA out running into a Sound Blaster Live! card.

KC8YXH Rating: 3/5 Mar 23, 2004 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Decent, but there are much better choices at half the cost  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am reviewing this mic, not because I own it, but because I own is brother, the MXL 990. However, I have carefully used and compared this mic to others. For a detailed review on my comparisons, see my review on the Marshall MXL 990 here on eham.

I am a sound system & acoustics professional as well as a ham. I recently set out to purchase a clean sounding large diaphragm condenser mic for my ham shack. I did recording and listening tests of the MXL 2001 as well as many others up to a $1000 street value price tag. I tested them all using a side by side recording technique. The mics I tested were chosen based on my experience, reviews I read here on eham and from pro sound periodicals. I was looking for a bargain that would do as well as a much more expensive mic.

I will admit that the MXL 2001 is highly intelligible, clear, with plenty of presence others have stated here. I won’t contest that fact. There have been some that have written about recording instruments with this mic. I must object that the MXL 2001 does not sound natural as those that record instruments with it have alluded to. It heavily “colors” the sound and that is not contestable. The “coloration” problem seems to come from its hollow handle that was not treated by MXL to stop resonance. Because of this, it has a “boxy” resonance that is picked up by its capsule that sounds very unnatural, as least in a close mic’d situation, like a ham operator experiences. There is no way to EQ this phase shifted boxy sound out. One individual reviewing this mic does say that he would get a “Flagship Neumann” if he could over this mic. (Who wouldn’t?!?! However, not many will spend $1000+ for a mic for their hamshack.) No one will dispute that the Neumann mics are as good as they come. However, if you want a mic that comes close to a Neumann, check out the Marshal MXL 990. It is even LESS EXPENSIVE than the 2001! It costs a mere $70 with shock mount! You won’t believe its sound!

While the MXL 2001 will work well for ham usage, there are better choices, like the MXL 990, which rivals mics that cost 10 times more and about half the cost of the MXL 2001. So if you want to start with as natural of a voice sound as you can, the MXL 2001 would not be the choice for you. If you don’t care about the naturalness of your sound and only are concerned with clarity and presence, then this mic is fine. Just don’t forget there are better bargains that are even clearer with less sound coloration, like the MXL 990. Bottom Line: The MXL 2001 isn’t a mic I would recommend since there are better sounding microphones for less money.

CRIMSON Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2003 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Awesome at this price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm totaly satisfied, won mine on e-bay for $69!! complete with the shockmount kit!!! I tracked some vocals and acoustic guitar and must say I'm impressed. For the home 4 track enthusiast there is not a better bargain, even at the $199.95 list price on the box. One of my bandmates bought the Blue "Baby Bottle" mic and paid five times more than what I paid for the MXL 2001. Personally I would have gone for the MXL at store price. I don't hear a significant difference, and I think the MXL 2001 may even be constructed a little tougher, though it comes in a less glitzy package. At first I thought the price was too good to be true, but believe!!! This is the right entry level large diaphragm condenser mic for you.

MIDIMAN Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2001 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Cheap tat? or Quality?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having had a MXL 2001p for about a month now, i found it to be absolutely superb on vocals, and recording percussion sounds such as bongo's, and chimes. Its clarity far outweighed my expectations of this mic. I only bought one after reading an advert in a music magazine, and reading reviews on the internet, i hadn't even heard one! but i needed a budget condensor mic for my home studio, and gambled, and WON!..:-) I would pay twice the asking price for this mic, and it's even got a shock mount with it (reasonable build quality), Stick one out your bedroom window and record the worlds natural environmental audio, and you will see what i mean by clarity :-) Love it, Love it, Love it! However, if i had the chance, and the money to buy a flagship neuman, then i would. But the marshal comes as the next best thing for me. buy one today!....happy recording you spoiled people :-)

AB5N Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2001 18:07 Send this review to a friend
MXL 2001p is amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Be forwarned- This mic is fantastic- and if you miss this sale, you'll kick yourself.
They are offering this mic and a free 603s 3/4" condenser for about $149 street price.
The suspension cage is about $25 bucks.
Call your local music store and go buy one (2!) I am going to get another set for stereo.
I am using a 2001p and a DBX DDP processor for all outgoing audio.

Its the Marshall mxl 2001p..with free 603s.
My Shure "studio" condenser mics sound like 5 dollar plastic cassette mics compared to these.
When I plugged it in at first, I heard a noise...and it was the soft whistle of the air coming in and out of my nostrils. The little 603s may even be better than the 2001P. IT is wired internally with the coolest sounding wire I have ever heard- MOGAMI NEGLEX! And you know what...it sounds as amazing as the name. Like I said, go get one now while the free 603s is offered...

Bob

W1GFH Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2000 20:15 Send this review to a friend
MXL-2001 condenser mike  Time owned: unknown months
The price of this mike is less than that of an SM-20. And for that you get a true large diaphragm studio condenser mike, styled similar to ones costing hundreds of dollars more. And the performance leaves little to be desired. I use mine with an ICOM 756. I use an ART TUBE MP preamp and the EQ settings in the Icom (+ 9 db treble) and it sounds simply GREAT. A great buy for those who want hi fi audio and an affordable studio mike for ham radio at last.